“Roadside BBQ at its best” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Dessert
Eagan, Minnesota, United States
“Roadside BBQ at its best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Driving to Austin I was looking for some bbq and found Fitties. It doesn't look like much but I was very pleasantly surprised. The food was terrific as were the employees. The gentleman who waited on us was so helpful and personable that he made the experience even better. I loved hearing about the history of Fitties. He answered my many questions, gave us free samples, and made suggestions when everything sounded good to me. I couldn't have been happier with the whole experience. My co-worker said it was the best meal he has ever had. I drive a truck and trailer and parking there was a piece of cake which is always a bonus for me.

• Visited February 2013

San Antonio, Texas
“Huge Disappointment”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

My wife and I stopped by here on Feb 2 to try the BarBQ based on previous ratings and the fact that it was rated so highly on TripAdvisor. We had previously tried another BarBQ restaurant in Bastrop, that was pretty ordinary, so we were looking forward to a much better alternative. Wow, were we disappointed. I am normally pretty kind to restaurants, even mediocre ones, but nothing I ate here gave me a reason to be kind, so here goes......

The brisket was dry, and obviously finished in an oven rather than smoked until served. It was tough, not flaky, and had to be chewed on for awhile in order to swallow it.

The ribs were 25 percent fat. Again not tender. The potato salad was not homemade. Maybe this won't matter to you, but it did to me. Nothing special, but definitely not even a good quality for institutional potato salad. The beans were canned, with no special ingredients or doctoring to make them even remotely tasty or unique.

I ordered bread pudding, as I am quite fond of it, and will try it anywhere, anytime. This stuff is by far, the worst I have ever tried. I kept eating it, hoping it would get better, but it didn't. It was dry and tasted like mildly seasoned bread, no pudding texture to it at all.

The service was mediocre at best. There was no posting for water on the menu, so I assumed that we could ask for a cup of tap water free. When the cashier told me the total price, it seemed high. I paid it, but upon consideration, I asked him why it seemed high, and he told me they don't have water in cups and that he charged me for bottled water. When I asked him to remove the charge and not give me the bottled water, he handed me $3.50 (the amount of 2 bottles of water), but did not refund the sales tax.

There are no restrooms at this establishment, as it clearly is a take-out oriented joint, but with picnic tables, we were surprised that no restrooms are present.

If Lockhart (a town less than 25 miles south of Bastrop) is the birthplace of Texas Bar BQ, then Fitties must certainly be the deathplace of it. I have eaten better BarBQ from the little black tub you buy in the prepared meat section of the HEB grocery store. In my humble opinion, you would be better served living with the grumbling tummy and tough it out the 25 miles to get some real BarBQ and leave this stuff for the unsuspecting travelers driving from Houston to Austin.

• Visited February 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“The Marty breakfast taco Rocks!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

Best ever breakfast.... I get the Marty taco & my husband gets the Jailhouse taco........can't find these anywhere else. & I crave it on weekends. Friendly staff always remember who u r.

“Delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

We stopped here on our way thru Bastrop. Not only was the service amazing but the bbq was to die for. Best bbq I've had!

Bastrop, Texas
“We love this place!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

We live about 3 minutes from Fitties and love it. The breakfast tacos are awesome. We usually get "The Marty" and "The Jailhouse"!! The bbq and sausage and all the sides are to die for. We've fed visiting family and friends on several occasions the food from Fitties and they can't say enough great things!!!
When we've run into the owner there he is super friendly and fun to visit with. He likes to give my two dogs each a slice of bacon. They LOVE him!!!
Keep up the great work!!!!!!

• Visited September 2012