“WOW! Amazing breakfast.” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Kerrville, Texas, USA
“WOW! Amazing breakfast.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

Had breakfast at Maxine's today and it was wonderful. The eggs were cooked perfectly, from "over very easy" to "dry scramble". Pancakes had a different flavor that was very appealing. You might even want to try the pancakes with the home-made peach jam instead of syrup. Either way you'll get a great pancake. The biscuits are so big one guy next to us asked, "Is that a piece of cake?" They are super fluffy and not doughy. The chicken fried steak served with eggs was perfectly seasoned and fork tender.
The menu is fairly short but we had four different items and they were all great. Apparently they subscribe to "Do a few things brilliantly" rather than "a bunch of stuff mediocre". The only complaints we could muster were they didn't offer pillows afterwards and there was entirely too much food.
You should know that if you go expect to wait for a table. If you're in a hurry and have to eat right now, this probably isn't the place for you. Once you order though, the food comes out in a reasonable amount of time.

• Visited December 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Dallas
“Go to Maxine's for BREAKFAST”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

Our experience was better than the last two Trip Advisor reviewers. We had a copy of the Texas Monthly in our room at the Hyatt Lost Pines Resort (in the country outside of Austin and Bastrop) and were really anxious to try Maxine's based on their review. Both the Service and the Food were as we expected. We arrived on a Friday morning at 1055am and were not sure if we could still get breakfast. The hostess greated us with a bubbly queation "Are you here for breakfast or lunch? We are serving breakfast for 5 more minutes!". Great! The service only got better from there. The coffee was terrific!
My husband's fried eggs were cooked a perfect medium well and the bisquits were fluffy and right out of the oven. The GRAVY was the best ever! My Migas were very good and the flour tortillas were grilled perfectly. There were several other menu items that we want to try on future visits...the omelets, the Texas scramble...we will return!

houstonburbs
“Great food not so good service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

We read about the restaurant in Texas Monthly, so we decided to try it as we left Austin. The food was really good, but as soon as the "local lunch crowd" started to arrive, we were almost asked to give up our table so they could have the table for a business meeting. Hmmmm ... glad business is so good that out of town folks are "in the way", or so it seemed. Should have gone to Lockhart to Smitty's BarBQue, like we originally planned..... at least we could have finished our food without being rushed.

• Visited November 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Austin, Texas
“Not What I Had Hoped”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

This place is rated very high by the Fearless Critic folks, so off I went with my parents on a visit to Bastrop. I would say it was simply ok. The decor is fun and the staff were very warm and attentive. All good. The food was a let down. My dad enjoyed his burger, but my mom and I had plates of Southern vegetables that were not uniformly great. The sweet potato was yummy, the green beans I swear were canned, and the collard greens were bland. The roll was very tasty, and the onion ring appetizer was good if not spectacular. I think this is one of the places where you have to know what to order. That day the special was meatloaf, and I could see the locals were eating it up, but sadly I don't eat beef.

Visited October 2011
Bastrop, Texas
“A Down Home Dining Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

I will have to go along with some of the less than complimentary reviews.
To Txscomom, I agree the food is not always consistent, but I've never known them to not “make things right”. Sorry you got bad service, but did you call anyone's attention to that fact? As to them only liking “regulars”, maybe the DO treat regulars better, or maybe it just seems that way since they are also friends as well as customers. But I have to add that Bastrop is the most welcoming place I have even been to, and most of us don't even know the meaning of the word “stranger”.
To ElginCoyote, I too prefer Gracie's for CFS, which I always get when I go there. But I've had CFS at Maxine's, too, and I like it well enough to order it occasionally.
But I know the Heart of Maxine's, too. They shut down following the fires because so many of their employees were affected in some way. I believe they threatened to break the arms of any fire responders if they dared to reach for their wallet to pay for their meals.
I love Maxine's because the food is good overall, and because they feel like Family to me. It's loud because customers are having a good time. It's a fun place to go, especially when they have live music. And having fun while you eat can't help but enhance your dining pleasure.
But, they do have one thing that makes everything else seem less important. They have pie. Wonderful pie. “I've died and gone to heaven” good kind of pie. Most importantly, they have lemon pie, the absolute best pie of any kind I have ever put in my mouth.
Maxine's is not just good food, it's an experience.

• Visited October 2011