“Dream place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mayan Dude Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bandera
Mayan Dude Ranch
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Milan, Italy
“Dream place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

In a small town called Bandera, away from the chaos of the city there is a little corner of paradise called Mayan dude ranch.

Peace around this magnificent place is perfect, especially if you need a rest. My wife and I spent our Xmas holiday there and here's our experience:

After a long and tiring trip we arrived late in the evening at the ranch, immediately, reassured by a warm welcome;

after checking in we went to the cabin, it was amazingly cozy, warm, spacious and comfortable 2 bedrooms 2 bathrooms, and a room with a Tv.

For a start every morning (If you wish) you can take coffee and juice in your cabin (the real cowboys or cowgirls take that) we did that, and then we went to the big dining room where we found a buffet filled with all delights, bacon, eggs, beans, cakes.

During our holidays we did a lot of activity specially horseback riding. it was fabulous because the environment of each riding was different, specially along the Medina river.

The weather was always sunny and the temperature was around 60 degrees. After the riding we did many activities, like shooting, lasso, and feed deer, all organized in every little detail. There is a pool but it was to cool to swim it's good for summer, in the afternoon after another riding we walked along the property.

At 19.00 in the office was a great dinner every evening different (fajitas, tacos big BBQ steaks
potatoes, beans)...

At the Mayan we spent December, 24, our wedding anniversary and it was amazing because we felt part of the family, they prepared for us a cheesecake in the shape of a heart for the occasion.

Every night Kelly organized funny games with nice prizes, and little Judy rocked us with her enjoyable lessons of line dance.

During those ten days we felt at home, and we saw how this family cares about all the guests with dedication and love.

We are really happy of having been part of this, a special thanks goes to Kelly, Cole, Little Judy, Patrick, Maverick, Ryan and,of course, Greg.

We come back as soon as possible

Robert.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Kelly O, Owner at Mayan Dude Ranch, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Robert,
Thank you for your kind words about your recent stay at the ranch, and welcome to our Mayan family! Your review mentioned many of the details that we believe make our ranch unique. A favorite amenity of many of our guests is our morning coffee and juice service. If you sign up for this complimentary amenity, our cowhands will bring freshly-brewed coffee and orange juice to your cabin, starting your day with a smile and waking you in time for Cowboy Breakfast. At the Mayan, it is the little things that make the biggest difference to our guests, supporting our belief “that there is no place like the Mayan any place, so the Mayan must be the place.”

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Milan, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

Have you ever pictured a place where you can be very lazy or very active, you can enjoy the countryside or the cozyness of your room, you can enjoy the music or the silence, you can meditate or play games in company?
Well, this is all possible in this place, where the Hicks' horsepitality can make you feel at ease whatever you want to to.

My husband Rob and I stayed at the Mayan Ranch for ten days, this past Christmas, and writing this review a month later made me wonder if I could still taste the experience, especially after throwing myself back into the fast paced, crazy, business world. I now believe the details of such an esperience will never fade.

After being around airports for 48 hours (something which can happen when you have to take 3 connecting flights between Milan and San Antonio, at Christmas time!) we were dead tired. Thanks God, the great humor of Cole, who came to pick us up at the airport, was a good start of our stay,
The view of the fantastic steaks cooked by Greg, once at the Ranch, was a second lift up! Kowgirl Kel's energy mixed with grace, when she welcomed us in the friendliest way (despite being busy with dinner...) did the job.

Very soon, at the Ranch, you feel like “family”. You are free to move around the property or to rest in one of the nice cabins or nice rooms. Nothing but the singing of birds outside... and lots of deer .. but well behaved. Just like the horses!. An impressive variety of horses, for every level of ability.
And if you find one you really prefer, the wrangles will not object to you riding that particular horse every day. But, please, leave Pepsi alone, she's mine!! (I miss you, sweetie)

The Hicks are incredibly nice and professional people, which makes you think this combination is actually possible; they can deal with any demand, and, believe me, I am demanding!

Apart from daily horseback riding (never the same trail twice!), activities range from learning how to use the lasso with the world champion, riding a longhorn, hiking, shooting, etc.
We improved our line dancing with the best instructor ever, Lil' Judy... Wow she could teach a stone how to dance! and we know,not because we are stones but because we actually know how to line dance despite being born and raised in Europe!

What else can you do at the Mayan?
You can listen to live performed country music at the Saloon, you can participate in games, you can take a hayride for a bonfire, you can have outdoor breakfasts.
I don't want to mention the food cos if I did, my mouth would start watering. I had spent a long time in Texas before but I couldn't compare the Mayan’s BBQ to any other.

You can go to the Mayan if you have a big family, fi you're a couple or a single, it doesn’t really matter. It's all nice "cowpeople" there and you will just mix with them (if you wish) and make new friends..
Kowgirl Kel is just a genius planning all those activities and you will know it all every morning when (if you wish) some cowboy or cowgirl will knock on your door handing you a cup of hot coffee and fresh juice. Then, all you need to do is chose, jump in or relax!

You need to go somewhere and you haven’t got a car (like us)? Greg, if not busy with the best BBQ in the world, will take you there and make sure you're alright.
Need to get the right pair of boots or the hat for you? Kelly or Lindsay are obviously experts and will eventually give you a lift there! By the way, the Cowboy's Store in Bandera ends up by beating all those stores in San Antonio for its quality and prices...

I can't explan why but, everybody who stays at the Mayan, after a few hours, becomes kind, good humoured and friendly. It must be some contagious bug flying around the place. It must be that true cowboys/girls, like the Hicks, don't waste words on nonsense .. but there is something about this place which cannot be found in any other ranch.

I think I said enough, we will be back there asap (despite the three flights)!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Kelly O, Owner at Mayan Dude Ranch, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
We appreciate your positive feedback and are glad that you and your husband were able to spend some time during the holiday season with us at the ranch. I will pass on your compliments to Cole, Greg, Lil’ Judy, and Lindsay. At the Mayan, we strive to offer you more than a vacation from your normal routine. Our goal is to invite you into our extended family of guests both here in the United States and abroad.
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

The person who disliked the insurance rule about not allowing 4 year olds to ride should have ask first. We've been going there for over twenty years and because we moved from CA to a town near Bandera we do plan on vacationing there again. Lunch ranges from fair to good for the most part but the rest of the meals are great. I always say that if you go away hungry it's your fault. I recommend that you treat yourself to the Cowboy Breakfast at least one time either on horseback or hay-wagon. We've become friends from England and we often are there at the same time. While at the Ranch you might want to visit Bandera which is only a few minutes drive from the Ranch. There are all kinds of shops but you won't run into high pressure sales people.

Room Tip: Reserve a cabin that isn't too close to the office.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Kelly O, Owner at Mayan Dude Ranch, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
We appreciate your positive post. For decades, the Mayan Ranch has hosted a traditional cowboy breakfast in the morning, and we agree it is an activity you will not want to miss while you are with us. Waiting to greet you at our cook-out spot by the river will be a live country music singer, hot coffee brewed over our open fire, and wild west delicacies including home-made biscuits and gravy, sausage, bacon, eggs, potatoes, and grits. We look forward to having you on our trail and at our fire again soon!
Rosenberg, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

I had booked a trip to the ranch back in Oct. or so but was not able to go until January. My sister, niece, daughter, son and I traveled almost 4 hours to spend "a fun-filled weekend" at the ranch to only find out my 4 year old son was not allowed to ride the horses!! Had I know when I booked the trip we would have gone somewhere else. They specifically stated their insurance would not allow them to have a 4 year old ride the horses, even with an adult which defeated the whole purpose of us going. My son cried cause he was so sad and I felt awful knowing I had gotten him all excited about riding the horses. We checked out the very next day and headed back home. The food was delicious the night we stayed (BBQ) but the lunch was not very tasty (Fish & Ham). I got to ride the horses one time and the ride was pretty boring. No one talked at all!! In the future when people call to book a trip to this ranch with a child under the age of 6 that I hope the staff informs them about their policy. I feel as I wasted time, money and gas going there and would not go again. (The staff was aware of my childs age, they ask for everyones age to charge appropriately).

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Kelly O, Owner at Mayan Dude Ranch, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
We apologize for your disappointment with our age requirement for riding. As stated on our website, children under 6 years of age are not able to participate on the trail rides. However, we know how much the little ones want to have a turn in the saddle; therefore, we do have wranglers available to lead children around the corral on the horses in a controlled and safe way. Please understand that this rule is for your child’s safety. If you would like to email us the name and address of your child, we would be happy for our head wrangler to send him a personalized letter.
McAllen, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Spent a weekend at the Mayan Dude Ranch with 3 kids. From the moment that we arrived, there were activities taking place. Mainly small fun activities (egg toss, BB guns, hat toss, etc.), but the kids loved it. The adults also participated and it was a fun way to meet some of the other guests. It was like showing up and being part of someone's family reunion. If you wanted to be by yourself, there were plenty of options for this too. The property was very large, the pool area was beautiful and very relaxing. Regarding food... I think that many of the other reviews cover it very well. The food is fantastic and there is plenty of it. They also have quite a bit of variety. The horse rides were enjoyable and followed scenic trails. The horses were also very well behaved and handled riders of all ages and skill. The rides are the typical 'line up all horses and they slowly follow each other'. This seems normal for most guest ranches, but I would like to see some other options or variety. I also would like to see more instruction especially for the younger (less experienced) riders. The wranglers simply loaded you up and told you to hold on. I have been to other guest ranches that make the experience a bit more personal and tell you a little about the horse, and give you some tips as you prepare to ride the horse. I am sure that the wranglers would have been happy to help if asked, and the ride itself was enjoyable, but I think that they could further enhance the experience by making some minor improvements in this area.

In short, we loved our time and have since sent other people to visit. We will be back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Kelly O, Owner at Mayan Dude Ranch, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
Thank you for sharing your positive review and your suggestions for making the horseback rides more personal. Our horses are our main attraction at the ranch, and we do want to encourage our guests to form a bond with the four-legged members of our family. If there is a particular horse you would like to know more about, please email us with his/her name or picture at mayan@mayanranch.com , and we will do our best to provide you some additional information. Happy Trails
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

I stayed here for 4 days in November with my husband and we had a fantastic time. We arrived just in time for the afternoon ride, yey, no time to prepare myself for my first time on a horse!! Once I was on I was fine because its single file walking and after 10 mins or so I felt quite comfortable. Perfect for a first timer.

For our first 2 days there was just 10 of us staying on the ranch so it was much more intimate and we played games like poker darts, cards, throw the hat on the bedpost and a horseracing board game. The next couple of days a large group of 78 arrived together with people also arriving for the weekend so there was activities such as lasooing, bull whip cracking lessons, line dancing, roasting marshmallows on the fire and live music in the saloon bar. It was great to experience both ends of the spectrum and I have to say the Mayan have got the entertainment and attention to detail for the guests down to a fine art.

Our cabin was lovely and comfortable with two bedrooms, two bathrooms and a lounge area and all were traditionally decorated. Housekeeping came in every day and our room was very clean.

The food in one word - amazing!! It was the best we had during our holiday in Texas and once they found out I was a vegetarian, they made sure there was always something for me on the menu.

We had breakfast down at the campground three mornings of our stay which is great fun and again you can't fault the food and how they transport and prepare it down there.

One afternoon we drove into Bandera for a look around the town which is well worth it and how I imagined Texas to be. I kept expecting John Wayne to pop out!!

All in all I wouldn't hesitate to go back here again and would thoroughly recommend anyone thinking about going to a ranch to stay at the Mayan. Make sure you book early because if you miss it, you are definitely missing out!! Have fun - yeeee haaaaa!!!!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Kelly O, Owner at Mayan Dude Ranch, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
Thank you for your positive review. We take great pride in knowing that you were well fed and entertained during your stay with us. Traditionally, when visitors think of a Texas dude ranch, they imagine brisket BBQs and steak cookouts. Although we believe our BBQs and steak cookouts are the best in Texas, we do make sure to accommodate vegetarians by offering a plethora of salad, vegetable, and starch offerings to keep you ready for the trail. Looking forward to treating you to some of our “horsepitality” again soon; don’t miss out.
Plum, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

Traveled with family from Pennsylvania to visit the Ranch prior to Thanksgiving with a 12 and a 10 year old. Weather was unusually cold and wet. Consequently some of the outdoor activities were out.

We stayed in a nice little cabin with a fireplace. Great cabin, kept very clean with daily housekeeping. Hardly spent any time in the cabin though. 2 horse rides a day, great entertainment, bull whipping, roping, hiking, saloon, food - all fun. Met some terrific people while there. All the kids at the ranch played very nicely together. We managed to get the Cowboy breakfast in one morning but it was a struggle due to the cold.

Hoping to return sometime with better weather.

Stayed November 2013
Kelly O, Owner at Mayan Dude Ranch, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
We are so pleased you and your family enjoyed our “horsepitality” despite the unusual weather. We welcome you again to experience the ranch in our summer season when we cater especially to families. Our activity schedule complete with theme nights and menus will be available on our website soon. Please visit www.mayanranch.com to learn more.

Been to Mayan Dude Ranch? Share your experiences!