“A diamond in the rough.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Oso Flojo Lodge

El Oso Flojo Lodge
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Balmorhea
El Oso Flojo Lodge
You added El Oso Flojo Lodge to your Saves list
208 North San Angelo Street, Balmorhea, TX 79718   |
“A diamond in the rough.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2011 via mobile

I don't know much about this area but my fire crew and I were in west Texas for the Rock House Fire. I didn't expect much and was basically looking for a place to relax but this hotel blew me away. Nice rooms with Wi-fi, nice decor, friendly folks and a restaurant with beer right next door. The staff was very accommodating and if I'm ever in this area again this is where I will stay.

• Stayed May 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2011

We were absolutely floored by the quality and value to be had at the El Oso Flojo. To be honest, we had pretty low expectations going in having driven by a number of pretty skeezy looking motels catering to the tourist crowd in West Texas. The rooms were clean, all the furniture was high quality (i.e., not hotel-grade junk), the staff was friendly and helpful. Each room has a different decor. The website says that the Internet access is coming soon, but it was installed when we got there and was pretty fast. We'd only made a reservation for one night but after seeing how nice it was we canceled the rest of our reservations and extended out two more nights.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
McAllen, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2011

Recently stayed at the Oso Flojo and was honestly surprised at how nice the rooms were..... When I arrived to Balmorhea which is a very small town (population 527) it looked almost like a ghost town. As I drove down the main street I dreaded the worst and expected the hotel to be old, dirty and worned out but was utterly surprised with our room. It was very clean, comfortable and nicely decorated. Stayed there for 2 nights and would definitely recommend it to anyone. The restaurant next door is really good too and conveniently located within a 2 minute walk.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Midland, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2010

After a long day of swimming we came back and relaxed in the room. There were some various bugs but it didn't bother me much (grasshoppers, crickets, and small ones)...most were outside (the courtyard was crawling and infested). That night after I tucked my children in I was laying there and felt something on my hand...I waived it off thinking mosquito. Then, I felt something in my shirt. I took it off and shook it, and heard a thump. I turned on the light to see what it was and sure enough, roach! It scampered but I looked back at my pillow...and surprise...another roach right by where my head was. As I gathered up our stuff several more crawled out and scampered once they hit the light. So, I go to the office and ring someone...this is about midnight. There son comes over with 3 other unkempt kids and I tell him my experience and that I want my money back (I paid cash). He had me call his father, tell him my story and then the mother. We battled for about 30 minutes until I could no longer stand her rude behavior and remarks towards my intelligence. They were horrible to me, after I'd had a roach DOWN my shirt, had to wake up my children and break their hearts with the news that we'd have to come home...in the MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT. They never did give me my money back. I would NEVER EVER recommend them to anyone!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010 via mobile

Very nice feel to it. Lush style rooms. More fun than the normal motels my wife and I have been staying at. Beautiful ranch feel to it, nice courtyard. Needs minifridge. Stayed for 80 bucks.

• Stayed August 2010
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2010

This is a small boutique-level hotel out in West Texas, and was much better than we expected. The beds are extremely comfortable, and the showers are HUGE walk-ins with detailed tile work. The price is a little higher than other area hotels, but it is very much worth it if you are looking for a good night of rest. We had the same experience as the other reviewers regarding the informal nature of the front office, it takes some getting used to but it does work out well once you know what to expect.

This makes a great staging-point if you are planning to visit Balmorhea State Park, or are just looking for a place to sleep well for the night. Highly recommended!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2010

After reading the reviews of two other people, I decided to take a gamble and stay here.

As expected there was no one behind the desk at 9:00PM, but service was immediate
after ringing the bell. I now understand the comment on "Rooms To Go on steroids" from
the previous reviewer. It was hard to find the light switch, expecially in the bath area
(hidden behind the mirror). The hair dryer was tucked away in the cabinet (again no
note). The room had a microwave and fridge. I am sure if we had looked around, we
would have found the coffee maker.

After taxes our room came to $100. A much better deal than if we had stayed at
Holiday Inn or equivalent. The room was clean with clean towels and upholstery. I was
worried about staying in the room so close to the road, however this being a small
town there was hardly any traffic. I would highly recommend people traveling on I-10 to
take the 8-10 mile detour to stay here.

There is a cute water canal with flowing water and bridge just outside the room where
we had our morning snack and drink.

Only downside I can think of is that there is no complimentary breakfast. However,
there is a grocery store about 2 miles down the road which opens early.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family

Been to El Oso Flojo Lodge? Share your experiences!