“A magnificently superior get-away” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Walland
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cincinnati, Ohio
“A magnificently superior get-away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2010

It is simply not possible to relate the "lousy service, lousy food" reviews to my experiences at Blackberry. I have been there with my wife on several occasions and with my children and grandchildren on one. In every instance, Blackberry has set the standard for cheerful excellence in service. In all our travels (I am 70), we have not found any facility that approaches this resort's warm, welcoming atmosphere and determination to make every stay as pleasant as humanly possible.

Blackberry is not for all. It is not about nightlife, it is not close to great shopping or gambling, and the food is sophisticated (although they are very good at substituting simpler fare on request). It is a quiet get-away, one that offers, but does not push, a wide range of activities or the simple majesty of the Smokies to be savored on one's own.

I know of no spot that better lives up to its claims or that I am more eager to revisit.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Sevierville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2010

From the time you exit your car and and introduce yourself to the front desk staff you step into another time, your cares are left behind, every need is taken care of and, if your need is absolutely nothing, then you are left to indulge in just that. Had no desire for golf cart rides, horseback expeditions or fly fishing seminars, just wanted to relax, read a book, rock in an adirondack chair, oh, yes, and eat and enjoy some wine..now, the wine list is daunting, but not if you know what you like, the sommelier was great, thinking a jj prum riesling, too sweet for that nights dinner, directed me to a great Alsace Gewurtzraminer that was unbelievable and available in a half bottle, my dinner was steak, my wifes was scallops, was going to go with a Chauteaunuef du Pape, but he suggested that would be too heavy so we went with a Cotes du Rhone at his suggestion, both of which, by the way, were in the same price range as my original choices, I applaud both his knowledge and his understanding. I am not of the stature to be able to enjoy this property unless it is a special occasion, but, I am so happy that I can, and did, go here. Will I go again? Of course, just need to balance my checkbook first.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
fort worth
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2010

We were really looking forward to our visit. The article I saw in a magazine and the web site made Blackberry Farm look exactly like the type of place we love to visit.
When we arrived, the service was bad and it went downhill from there. Below are a few of the examples I can remember.
We arrived at 1pm, and didn't receive any ideas on what we could do until we were able to get into our room. It was cold and drizzly, so exploring the grounds wasn't an option. After browsing the shop and sitting in the front office for over two hours without even a hello from the staff, we finally asked if there was a bar. We would have loved to have been told about the Chestnut room, or at the very least been offered some water.
I feel very misled about the activities. When I made reservations, I received information on activities that were available. I was really looking forward to the cheese cave tour & samplings with wine pairings. I asked about this when we checked in and was told it was never really an offering. They tried unsuccessfully to have it passed by the health department. Also, the "cave" was really just a small closet and not anything worth seeing.
When dining, we ran out of water several times. At lunch we had to ask 3 times before getting a refill.
The 2nd day I called in the morning and changed my dinner reservations from 6:30 to 8:00. I called the front desk. They couldn't help me directly, but transferred me to the dining room, where I was put on hold for several minutes. When we arrived for dinner, we were greeted with the hostess saying "I hope you didn't get lost". Since the staff drives us to dinner, that is obviously impossible. I realized she thought we missed our 6:30 time and was being snide. I told her we called that morning and changed our reservations. She then told me they would fit us in, which seemed an absurd comment since the dining room was almost empty and we had been told there were only 11 guests that evening.
We needed to use a printer, and was told there was one available in the Chestnut room. We looked, but one wasn't there. We called again, and were told to use the one at the front desk. We went to the front desk, and were told to go back to the Chestnut room and look in the board room. We went back, and it wasn't there, so we had to go back to the front desk. They finally let us use the one there.

We didn't have any matches in our room, so we asked a staff member in the Chestnut room if we could have some matches. She told us they were in our room. When we told her they weren't there, she told us to call housekeeping.
I called "0" about a wrong charge on our bill. I was told to go to the front desk. Whoever I was talking to couldn't even be bothered to transfer me.
Upon leaving, I had to help carry our luggage from our room to the golf cart.
We also didn't like the food, but recognize we're not "foodies". I recommend having 1 standard dish per meal for those of us with less sophisticated tates.
I love the concept of a service charge. So often the staff behind the scenes are forgotten, and this ensures they are not. We typically add to the standard service charge, because we are so pleased with the service. This was the first place I actually felt cheated for having to pay the service charge. Only the cleaning staff deserved a gratuity.

I left Blackberry Farm feeling neglected and totally disgusted. I am still apologizing to my husband for suggesting this vacation.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2010

Having heard and read much about Blackberry Farm in recent years, we went for a weekend and we were not disappointed. The service was impeccable -- warm and unpretentious, but professional. The copious food and wine -- particularly at dinner -- were unequivacolly excellent. The accommodations (Singing Brook Cottage) were at once cozy, spacious and luxurious. Make no mistake though: it is quite pricey -- almost shockingly pricey. The sense of cost is made more acute by Blackberry Farm's quiet, decidedly low-key vibe and somewhat bizarre, semi-rural location -- so guests seeking something flashy and glam may be disappointed. But, for those like us seeking a quite getaway for good food and understated elegance, Blackberry Farm is a truly top notch and very worthy destination.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2010

This exclusive mountain resort with private cottages settled back into the mountainside provide the perfect retreat from the daily grind. Whether you want to ride mountain bikes, fish, hike, get a massage or other spa treatment or just sit in a rocking chair and rock - there is something for everyone. There is a cooking school at the Farm, with a newly built barn. The food is like nothing you have ever tasted and is worth the cost of admission. In addition, you get a cottage with all of the nicest accessories. Need to borrow a Lexus Hybrid to go sightseeing? They will give you they keys. A living room/lounge is in the center of each cluster of suites/rooms. There are snacks such as Dove bars, drinks of all kinds,- you never go hungry at the BackBerry Farm. I would like to live here !

Stayed July 2007
lexington, ky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2010

i returned a couple of weeks ago from a short mid week stay at blackberry farm (urged on by friends who adore blackberry) and it exceeded my already high expectations. i found the staff to be genuinely kind & helpful. the food to be the best i'd ever eaten (and missed it terribly upon leaving!) and the setting was truly one of the most beautiful places i'd even lodged at. i felt invited to an incredible place and those 2 nights were far more rejuvenating than a week spent elsewhere.

i'm already planning a return trip based on my incredible experience. i think sam beall & his mother are visionaries who have created an exquisitely beautiful experience.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2010

We went for a relaxing weekend to show off our find to our friends and ended up extremely disappointed! Five and Alive was happening that weekend, which we didn't care to be apart of and were told it would not be a problem. We discussed and agreed upon the package price and we paid extra for our wine tasting, Dom Perignon tasting and cooking class. All that pricing was told up front and was fine. But, when we checked out on Sunday morning, we were presented with an additional $2300.00 bill! This was for the gala dinner with Ashley Judd, which was NOT told to us up front! When questioned, It was to late to adjust any pricing because it was a donation to the Five and Alive organization!! For $5000.00 we could have gone to Paris!! However, they did give us a GC for a two night stay; I am just afraid of what it will really cost us?

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Blackberry Farm? Share your experiences!