“Dinner on the riverside patio.” 2 of 5 stars

Blackberry Farm
1471 West Millers Cove Road, Walland, TN 37886   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Walland
Nashville
“Dinner on the riverside patio.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2006

This review is to warn coporate groups to beware of booking dinners at Blackberry Farm. We had the bad fortune of having dinner April 6, 2006 on the patio in 48 degree weather. All the ladies had to be handed a blanket in order to be somewhat warmer and even the men in their jackets if they were seated on the periphery of the patio were cold.
This dinner had been planned months in advance and it is well known that there is no such thing as reliable weather in April. The meal was served on cold plates, the asparagus was raw and cold and the ribs while delicious hardly seemed worthy of the price paid.
If the Blackberry Farm knew they couldn't serve us inside, they should have said so. Since many of the guests they served that night were staying at the Maple Leaf Lodge which is also owned by the same owners as Blackberry Farm, it would have been easy to cater a simple dinner there along with the reception for the local dignitaries who had also not been informed that the dinner would take place outdoors.
This event had been planned to greet a delegation from France and frankly it appeared to me that they were taken advantage of.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2006

For the money, Blackberry Farm is not as good as it should/could be. My experiences and observations were good and bad as follows:
1) It was several days before I received any confirmation of my online booking, and then I received confirmation only because I phoned to inquire about status.
2) The staff is nice, pleasant, young, not-polished, and not-experienced. If you are accustomed to high-end service, you will be disappointed. If you like friendly, bumblingly young country folk - you will think the staff is fine.
3) DO NOT STAY IN THE MAIN HOUSE. Rooms are insanely noisy; TVs are placed so you can not see them from bed. Rooms do not have frigs/ice - you have to go to the common areas to get ice from a small bucket. everytime we went, the ice was always melted, and calling for ice usually took 20-30 minutes for delivery. Bathrooms are very basic. Closets are small and hanging rods are too low for dresses. Views from upstairs rooms look over the rooftop conditioners. There is no coffee-service in the room.
4) When you check-in, beware! While you are checking in, valets will secretly be emptying the contents of your car into golf-carts (cars are not driven on the property). The first time this happened, I was furious and felt it was an evasion of my privacy. Oh - that reminds me, you can't drive your car on site so you will need to walk (up hills) and/or rent a golf cart for $75/day to get around.
5) If you sign up for extra services, be warned that you will be charged taxes and services fees on top of the listed fees.
6) On top of the $1000+/day room charge, there is 4% occupancy tax, 9% sales tax, and 18% service charges.
7) The cottages are beautiful, private, and large. They are filled with down furniture and beds, cozy porches, fireplaces, large spa-baths and wet-bars.
8) The food is very good and the restaurant atmosphere is warm and polished.
9) The horse-backing riding is enjoyable.
10) There is nothing to do near Blackberry Farm, so be sure you will be happy with the activities at Blackberry Farm.
11) Fly-fishing at Blackberry farm is 'catch and release'. You can't keep/eat what you catch.
12) Everyone is served breakfast in your room on Sunday mornings, but you will not be given a choice of food or beverages. If you want de-caf coffee or hot tea, or something other than muffins, you will be disappointed.
13) If you want a morning newspaper, you will have to hike (or drive your $75/day golf cart) to the main house to pick one up.
14) There are alot of bugs/mosquitos around in summer - bring bug spray.
15) There is no tipping of staff. Instead, an 18% service charges is added to your bill.
16) Dress is casual during the day (Jeans, shorts, bathing suits). Dress is dressy-casual for dinner. Men should bring jackets for dinner.
17) The wine list is wonderful and large.
IN SUMMARY - If you want privacy, relaxation, and good food in mountain-farm setting, and you don't mind spending $1500/day for it, then reserve a cottage and have a good time. If you are accustom to 4-Season type service and you like 4-Season type service - then book your next trip at a 4-Seasons resort and not at Blackberry Farm.

• Stayed February 2006
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2006

One of most beautiful places I've ever been. Blackberry Farm has its elegant charm once when you're there. Staffs were VERY friendly and helpful, I don't know how those bad reviews were from. Everyone there was nice. The English countryside decors throughout the resort are wonderful, even though it looks kinda funny when they put several chinese soy sauce pots around the fireplace in the guest house. Food was beyond wonderful, and I'm pretty sure dining was one of the most important things that attract people to Blackberry.
Some disappointments include the room size, we had a queen deluxe at a pretty high rate but the room was pretty small, yet comfy though. We were told there are even smaller rooms. So I would suggest ppl spend a little bit more on the cottages or king deluxe.
Another thing was that the 2nd day we were at Blackberry (which is the only full day we stayed there) rained a lot and was cold. Though the weather wasn't so good, we still walked around the whole resort, and the scene actually appeared misty and mysterious in the rainy day somehow, so I guess it was still a nice experience to visit the place in rain.
We had a cottage ride in that rainy day, it was a lot of fun to know the history of Blackberry and went around the whole resort again with the horses, but later we discovered the shocking price was 300 for that hour carriage ride, though pricey, but we thought it was a lot of fun.
We will def. pay another visit to Blackberry, for the beautiful scenes and the great food and the ultimate relaxing getaway, hopefully a better weather next time.

• Stayed March 2006
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2006

Went there just for dinner with some friends who were staying at the Blackberry from out of town. It was almost silly how much the wine guy wanted to show off. He kept referring to varieties of grapes and origins of the vines, etc. Bottom line, the food was "OK" but at $200 I expected much more in quality. I cannot believe that this place is even still operating with all the negative reviews I found out after I checked Triop Advisor upon returning home. Oh well, our friends are out several grand for their four night stay, and we know where we will not be spending our next vacation!

Frank Phils

• Stayed January 2006
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2006

Everyone was rude, such as David Wallace, Matt Willcoxen, and with upper mangement that rude it is no wonder that the staff isn't rude all the the time. The food is over price and the service was very poor. The trails look like a war was fought there with all of the trees down and pilled up on the side of the trails. The box lunches were really bad.

• Stayed October 2005
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2006

It makes me MAD to read all these poor and misguided reviews of Blackberry Farm..
The place is UNBELIEVABLE!!!
It is HEAVENLY..the way life is supposed to be lived!!
My husband and I got engaged at Blackberry Farms and it was a great trip. From the time we pulled up, the staff was greeting us, knew our first names, and treated us like celebrities! We were given a tour of Blackberry Farms and taken to our cottage. We enjoyed a bottle of champagne on the patio while our bags were unpacked.
The rooms were absolutely beautiful and it was amazing to wake up and watch the sun peaking up over the Smoky Mountains. We also enjoyed breakfast in bed!
The first night we participated in the wine pairing at dinner. I must say that the waitstaff at Blackberry Farms is a well oiled machine. These are not people wanting to pursue acting and they are paying bills with tips. They are trained professionals, many from the Culinary Institute of America in NYC. You are immediately served every single course. You will never wait (longer than a minute)in between courses! Temperature of the foods are perfect. The waitstaff is extremely knowledgable in all wines, meats, cheese, and any facts or history about BF. We also met the Executive chef, John Fleer. He was kind and extremely thoughtful. I mentioned that Creme Brulee was my favorite dessert, and the following night at dinner, it was brought to my table! After dinner, we enjoyed smores around the fire as well as visiting with other guests.
The lunches at Blackberry Farm were delicious as well as breakfast and brunch. We had lunch on the patio on Saturday and it was so fun! We had grilled BBQ chicken, a summer salad with fruit, corn on the cob, a variety of summer salads and vegetables and great desserts (homeade cakes , fruit tarts, etc.) and complete with Lemonade!
They have a nice pool and hot tub, 24 hour fitness center,and great tennis courts (we played everyday).
The fly fishing is superb. The pond is stocked so everyone catches plenty of trout!
One of my favorite parts of BF were the animals! They have horses, goats, and roosters. They use the goat's milk to produce cheese from BF. They cheese is wonderful (and available for purchase-highly recommended).

I would put Blackberry Farm up against any hotel I have EVER been to. My husband and I have traveled all over the world, and Blackberry Farms is outstanding. Not only are we going back soon, we constantly look at our pictures and are reminded of a great vacation!

VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!

Katie Jane and Steve Goode
Nashville, Tennessee

• Stayed May 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2006

I have to say that I never even got there because of their incompetance. I called for reservations for a weekend in February, 2006, a very special birthday on Saturday night. I made the resevation for three nights...or so I thought. A week and a half later,I got my confirmation that was excluding the Saturday night!!!Well I called and made them aware of the upsetting situation, and they told me it was NO PROBLEM! They called me back three days later telling me that is WAS a problem and I would have to be on a waiting list! Or they could find me a room at a sister property!! I specifically remember stating that Sat. night was special and I didn't want to leave the property. Long story short...they finally gave me a credit for a horribly handled situation, and I will never go there or recommend this resort. Especially for the extreme fees they charge for everything. I am very well traveled, and have NEVER had this situation,or been treated that way!! I have stayed at many five star hotels, and had five star service. I was probably lucky this happened, and we are staying at the Lodge at Buckberry Creek instead. I also read some of the other reviews of this property and got the impression other people have had a bad experience. They may not be able to rest on their laurels much longer.... Furious in Mobile, Alabama

Stayed February 2006

Been to Blackberry Farm? Share your experiences!