“If the prices don't scare you, you're in for a treat” 5 of 5 stars

Blackberry Farm
1471 West Millers Cove Road, Walland, TN 37886   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Walland
Sherman, Connecticut
“If the prices don't scare you, you're in for a treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

Yes, it is expensive, but if you get past the sticker shock it ultimately feels like reasonable value for those big bucks. After all, three astoundingly good meals a day are included in your room rate, (they'll gladly provided a packed lunch when we left the property) and unlike many other top hotels, the percentage added to that for service really does mean that no one on the highly attentive staff is waiting for a tip during your stay. The place is a foodie fantasy, with menus that offer both exciting original dishes and perfect renditions of traditional southern classics. The wine afficionados with whom I shared a Blackberry vacation were overwhelmed by the grandeur of the (very pricey, but who's counting) wine list and a visit to the dazzling cellar that supports it. But meals are only part of the Blackberry food experience. The large and beautifully groomed property includes a vegetable garden, a brewery, a stocked trout stream, cheese makers, and a truffle woods complete with a kennel in which they are breeding Italian truffle hunting dogs. Visiting these facilities was an excellent diversion for those of us who were not up for daylong hikes in the Smokies, or the paintball and trap shooting that some of our family enjoyed on a remote piece of property. The range of activities available is staggering. Just looking through them all on the website was an evening's activity when we first booked. I was more than impressed by the quality of the hiking guides, yoga instructors and spa personnel that took such good care of us. I was told that in one of the staff areas there is a big poster that says " 'Yes' is the answer. Now, what is the question?" This showed in the can-do/will-do attitude of every staff member we dealt with. Rooms in the two original buildings (the Main and Guest Houses) are quite varied, and a few are really too small for a luxury property, but they are all handsomely furnished, with beautiful linens and nice details. We chose these when we visited with a group of family members, but we couldn't quite forget the ultra-luxurious Hill Cottage accommodations we'd enjoyed on an earlier visit. Nothing has been held back in these large free-standing buildings. Huge bright bathroom had a heated floor, enormous tub and shower, stacks of lush towels. A mini-kitchen was stocked with all manner of complementary goodies. The Bose sound system and multiple flat-screens meant that were the weather to turn we could happily hunker down there for a week! Now the bad part: the Knoxville airport, a half hour's drive from the resort, can accept nothing larger than commuter-size aircraft, which means that flights are more frequently subject to weather delays and cancellations. We have, in our limited experience, already been through both.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms above the breakfast area of Main House if you like to sleep late. The back rooms o...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Greenville, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

I have waited to write this to be sure I was careful about my critique. It is not always easy to be critical when it is apparent that so much money has been spent to either build a property or have a stay at a property. This was my 3rd stay at BF and I was extremely surprised, often not pleasantly surprised either, at how things had changed over the years. While progress, growth and sophistication most often times is a welcomed thing, I think BF may have grown too much. With over 400 employees, according to our driver that drove us to "the Barn" for dinner, (it was too far to walk) it seems as if some of the "small inn" charm has been lost. My first breakfast morning, my pancakes were cold and I sent them back…also, watching the woman 2 tables to my left send her oatmeal back due to it being cold. We stayed in the room "Dutchman's Pipe" and I could hear the man beneath us snoring all night. The second night, there was a group of about 4 or 5 13 - what looked like maybe 15 years olds romping out at the fire pit at 10:00pm "ish" having a big time…We came to BF for peace and quiet….at this property, I think children do not belong…or if they do come, then BF should have an area designated for "families only" because not everyone thinks it cute when they have come for relaxation and left their children at home.

With this house being built in 1990, it seems more care should have been taken to sound proof each room. We had a wonderful walk to lunch on Saturday, which was set up family style with lots of unusual dishes.I really don't have any complaints about our dinners in "the Barn" but I just remember how lush and lavish the flower arrangements were in the main house and how warm and cozy the main house dining was before the property enlarged. The focus and appeal seems to be geared to a "more corporate" feel. The furnishings are still lovely though a bit dated and could use a bit of refreshing but not to the extent that they changed the dining feel in the main house…here again..I just felt as if I was in any hotel dining room…decoratively, it felt very ordinary and cold to me, too contemporary…not at all what I remember the 2 other times I had been….all of the staff were quite lovely and helpful and were certainly willing to help with whatever was needed but I probably should have just let my memory remain and try not to re-visit because I just don't feel it offered much of the wonderfulness as my 2 previous visits.

Room Tip: I would certainly opt for the individual cottages if you can afford the cost….in the 2 houses with i...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Jackson, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

More than lived up to its reputation for service. Booking thru Andrew Harper provided many perks,not the least of which was the spacious and well located room.Magnolia, in the main house. Staff was thoughtfulness personified.

• Stayed December 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

If you are looking for a very relaxing time, I mean, ultimate relaxation, this is the place to get away from the world. Our only issue was the major lack of cellphone service! There was excellent wi-fi on the property, but no cell service except a spotty signal at the main house. You would think that after going above and beyond to impress and sparing no expense, they would fix the cell service. Leading us to believe this is intentional. After recovering from the shock of how remote this property is, we were won over with some of the most amazing food, wine and excellent service. Our Singing Brook Cottage accommodations were charming and luxurious. Included was a personal golf cart, which we considered a must. Everything is scattered all over this expansive property, so unless you like to walk or wait for them to pick you up, get the golf cart with your stay. When you consider that this is an "all-inclusive" luxury resort, as all meals and tips are included, the price is very acceptable. One of the best wine lists I have ever seen, with fair prices for everyone. The service is world-class.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Franklin, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

My fiancee and I spent 4 nights in the Holly Glade Cottages over Halloween weekend. We had heard a lot about how wonderful the place was, but we couldn't imagine it being worth the $1,400 per night price tag (I actually managed to get that down a bit, but it still cost a pretty penny). In short, it more than met our expectations. The cottage was quaint and inviting (with a sweet wood burning fireplace), the service was over the top great, the food was amazing, and we spent a small fortune on some incredible wines that we're doing our best to stock for our own collection now.

We timed our trip perfectly, as the leaves had just started changing, and it was BEAUTIFUL. The place was decorated with pumpkins and other autumn foliage pretty much everywhere we went, and everything was done with incredible taste. We didn't have to drive anywhere as a quick walk up to the check in center to catch a ride in a new Lexus was all we needed to get to dinner, and we very easily acquired a loaned golf cart to check the grounds out on our own. We actually saw a lamb born before our very own eyes on an excursion around the grounds.

As I said, we were there the weekend of Halloween so we went out of our way to attend the storytelling session the night of Halloween. It was indoors due to an incoming storm and was hosted by a local retired park ranger. The stories could have been better, and the whole thing would have been better if attendance had been better (only one other couple showed). All in all, though, we made it a fun night.

Now back to the wine... Our favorite sommelier was, by far, Jason Drotar. He knew exactly what wines to suggest based on some others we told him we liked. In fact, we ended up doing a wine tasting with him that Friday down in the cellar. That was most definitely a highlight of our stay. We spent around $1,500 on wine over the course of the 4 days, so it wasn't cheap. We had some world class wines, though!

The only other activity we signed up for was horseback riding. The weather was amazing, the guide was incredibly fun and informative, and the horses were awesome. Highly recommend.

I could go on and on about what an incredible place this is, but I'll refrain. We can't wait to go back some time in the near future.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Cartersville, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

I had read about this place in several magazines and was very excited about staying there. It was our 50th anniversary and we were going to spend a week driving in the mountains in October. We stayed at six different inns and of the six, we would rate the Inn at Blackberry Farm #6. We only stayed one night and the price was $1400 which included our dinner, breakfast the next morning and a box lunch on our departure. The dinner was good, but not fabulous. The service at dinner was good, but we thought much ado about nothing. The breakfast was very good and the service at breakfast was excellent. The box lunch was nothing to brag about. We stayed in the guest house. Our room was small and the bathroom was small with no place to put your toiletries and the carpet was dirty. If the room had been a reasonable rate, we would not have complained, but for the price, we expected something much better than we have ever had before. I will say, if you have plenty of money and don't mind spending it and can afford to participate in all of the activities that are offered, you will probably enjoy your stay. However, we stayed at the Whitestone Inn in Kingston, TN and the Inn on Biltmore Estate and The Swag in North Carolina and enjoyed these places far more than the Inn at Blackberry Farm for less money.

Room Tip: Cottages are more expensive, but nicer.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

Blackberry Farm is a nice property from the Relais & Châteaux group in the beautiful Smokey Mountains.
Our room was spacious and clean. Dinner was excellent. Service was outstanding.
What we liked best was a guided walk in the morning, after a good breakfast. We don't remember the name of our guide but she was very nice and knowledgeable. This is not just an ordinary farm - there is so much to see and do! One night was not enough...

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Blackberry Farm? Share your experiences!