“Hmmmm..what can I say???” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Blackberry Farm

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Walland
Blackberry Farm
Save Saved
You added Blackberry Farm to your Saves list
1471 West Millers Cove Road, Walland, TN 37886   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Walland
Greenville, South Carolina
“Hmmmm..what can I say???”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

I have waited to write this to be sure I was careful about my critique. It is not always easy to be critical when it is apparent that so much money has been spent to either build a property or have a stay at a property. This was my 3rd stay at BF and I was extremely surprised, often not pleasantly surprised either, at how things had changed over the years. While progress, growth and sophistication most often times is a welcomed thing, I think BF may have grown too much. With over 400 employees, according to our driver that drove us to "the Barn" for dinner, (it was too far to walk) it seems as if some of the "small inn" charm has been lost. My first breakfast morning, my pancakes were cold and I sent them back…also, watching the woman 2 tables to my left send her oatmeal back due to it being cold. We stayed in the room "Dutchman's Pipe" and I could hear the man beneath us snoring all night. The second night, there was a group of about 4 or 5 13 - what looked like maybe 15 years olds romping out at the fire pit at 10:00pm "ish" having a big time…We came to BF for peace and quiet….at this property, I think children do not belong…or if they do come, then BF should have an area designated for "families only" because not everyone thinks it cute when they have come for relaxation and left their children at home.

With this house being built in 1990, it seems more care should have been taken to sound proof each room. We had a wonderful walk to lunch on Saturday, which was set up family style with lots of unusual dishes.I really don't have any complaints about our dinners in "the Barn" but I just remember how lush and lavish the flower arrangements were in the main house and how warm and cozy the main house dining was before the property enlarged. The focus and appeal seems to be geared to a "more corporate" feel. The furnishings are still lovely though a bit dated and could use a bit of refreshing but not to the extent that they changed the dining feel in the main house…here again..I just felt as if I was in any hotel dining room…decoratively, it felt very ordinary and cold to me, too contemporary…not at all what I remember the 2 other times I had been….all of the staff were quite lovely and helpful and were certainly willing to help with whatever was needed but I probably should have just let my memory remain and try not to re-visit because I just don't feel it offered much of the wonderfulness as my 2 previous visits.

Room Tip: I would certainly opt for the individual cottages if you can afford the cost….in the 2 houses with i...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Jackson, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

More than lived up to its reputation for service. Booking thru Andrew Harper provided many perks,not the least of which was the spacious and well located room.Magnolia, in the main house. Staff was thoughtfulness personified.

• Stayed December 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

If you are looking for a very relaxing time, I mean, ultimate relaxation, this is the place to get away from the world. Our only issue was the major lack of cellphone service! There was excellent wi-fi on the property, but no cell service except a spotty signal at the main house. You would think that after going above and beyond to impress and sparing no expense, they would fix the cell service. Leading us to believe this is intentional. After recovering from the shock of how remote this property is, we were won over with some of the most amazing food, wine and excellent service. Our Singing Brook Cottage accommodations were charming and luxurious. Included was a personal golf cart, which we considered a must. Everything is scattered all over this expansive property, so unless you like to walk or wait for them to pick you up, get the golf cart with your stay. When you consider that this is an "all-inclusive" luxury resort, as all meals and tips are included, the price is very acceptable. One of the best wine lists I have ever seen, with fair prices for everyone. The service is world-class.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Franklin, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

My fiancee and I spent 4 nights in the Holly Glade Cottages over Halloween weekend. We had heard a lot about how wonderful the place was, but we couldn't imagine it being worth the $1,400 per night price tag (I actually managed to get that down a bit, but it still cost a pretty penny). In short, it more than met our expectations. The cottage was quaint and inviting (with a sweet wood burning fireplace), the service was over the top great, the food was amazing, and we spent a small fortune on some incredible wines that we're doing our best to stock for our own collection now.

We timed our trip perfectly, as the leaves had just started changing, and it was BEAUTIFUL. The place was decorated with pumpkins and other autumn foliage pretty much everywhere we went, and everything was done with incredible taste. We didn't have to drive anywhere as a quick walk up to the check in center to catch a ride in a new Lexus was all we needed to get to dinner, and we very easily acquired a loaned golf cart to check the grounds out on our own. We actually saw a lamb born before our very own eyes on an excursion around the grounds.

As I said, we were there the weekend of Halloween so we went out of our way to attend the storytelling session the night of Halloween. It was indoors due to an incoming storm and was hosted by a local retired park ranger. The stories could have been better, and the whole thing would have been better if attendance had been better (only one other couple showed). All in all, though, we made it a fun night.

Now back to the wine... Our favorite sommelier was, by far, Jason Drotar. He knew exactly what wines to suggest based on some others we told him we liked. In fact, we ended up doing a wine tasting with him that Friday down in the cellar. That was most definitely a highlight of our stay. We spent around $1,500 on wine over the course of the 4 days, so it wasn't cheap. We had some world class wines, though!

The only other activity we signed up for was horseback riding. The weather was amazing, the guide was incredibly fun and informative, and the horses were awesome. Highly recommend.

I could go on and on about what an incredible place this is, but I'll refrain. We can't wait to go back some time in the near future.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Cartersville, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

I had read about this place in several magazines and was very excited about staying there. It was our 50th anniversary and we were going to spend a week driving in the mountains in October. We stayed at six different inns and of the six, we would rate the Inn at Blackberry Farm #6. We only stayed one night and the price was $1400 which included our dinner, breakfast the next morning and a box lunch on our departure. The dinner was good, but not fabulous. The service at dinner was good, but we thought much ado about nothing. The breakfast was very good and the service at breakfast was excellent. The box lunch was nothing to brag about. We stayed in the guest house. Our room was small and the bathroom was small with no place to put your toiletries and the carpet was dirty. If the room had been a reasonable rate, we would not have complained, but for the price, we expected something much better than we have ever had before. I will say, if you have plenty of money and don't mind spending it and can afford to participate in all of the activities that are offered, you will probably enjoy your stay. However, we stayed at the Whitestone Inn in Kingston, TN and the Inn on Biltmore Estate and The Swag in North Carolina and enjoyed these places far more than the Inn at Blackberry Farm for less money.

Room Tip: Cottages are more expensive, but nicer.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

Blackberry Farm is a nice property from the Relais & Châteaux group in the beautiful Smokey Mountains.
Our room was spacious and clean. Dinner was excellent. Service was outstanding.
What we liked best was a guided walk in the morning, after a good breakfast. We don't remember the name of our guide but she was very nice and knowledgeable. This is not just an ordinary farm - there is so much to see and do! One night was not enough...

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

I stayed in the same room as the poor review a few days ago. I understand they are going to redo the main area were my room was. It was small but I saw no stains on the floor. Very nice black and white tile bathroom with heated floor--but tacky beige wallpaper. Nice robes but no slippers. Turn down service at night. When you have a small room you need to wow with the decoration and old beige does not do it. The bed was very comfortable. The tv needs to be updated. As to the food--I thought it was extremely good. The wait staff was excellent at all of the venues. As a "Friend" the price paid was an excellent value when I think of the food we recieved-a four course meal with extras, good choices for breakfast and also for lunch. Dove bars, apples, cookies, etc were there anytime you wanted them--after the meals not sure you will. Your car is taken away never to be seen again--you call and carts take you where you want to go. There is a 19% charge so you do not have to tip anyone unless you just want to. I would come again. If you keep in mind a small room costs less you should be very happy.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Been to Blackberry Farm? Share your experiences!