“Second trip this year” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Blackberry Farm

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Walland
Blackberry Farm
Save Saved
You added Blackberry Farm to your Saves list
1471 West Millers Cove Road, Walland, TN 37886   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Walland
Nashville, Tennessee
“Second trip this year”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

We returned to BBF for 2 nights in October. We wanted to see the resort in the fall (our previous trip was in winter). We stayed in the main house again. This time, our king room (Teaberry) was a bit disappointing. It was nice - just small and the bathroom was outdated. I would recommend requesting Doll's Eye if you are staying in the main house. It was a much more spacious room and had a more romantic feel.
The service was again excellent. We also had perfect crisp fall weather and were able to take advantage of some outdoor activities, like hiking and fly fishing.
I think the main attraction to BBF is the food...and it lives up to the hype. Our meals were all wonderful. The duck and halibut entrees were highlights. The only dish that fell a little short was the brisket at lunch...too salty for my taste. We did bring some of our own wine to drink during the non dinner hours. It is a really lovely place to sit on the porch and sip a pinot noir for an hour or two.
We did have some confusion/mixup with the wine we ordered at dinner. Apparently, we were served and charged for a different bottle than we ordered (very close - but twice the price). The management staff sorted through the problem efficiently and we were credited appropriately.
Overall, this remains one of our favorite places. Is it expensive? Yes. It is definitely a splurge. But for a foodie, I think it is worth it.

Room Tip: The cottages are definitely more private and luxurious. If staying at the main house, request Doll...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Blackberry for 3 days in one of the Singing Brook Cottage “suites”. I have to say that this is an extremely expensive place. If you are not prepared to just jump in for the cost, I wouldn’t stay here. Having said that, we liked it very much.

The room was a good size with bed, sofa, desk and chairs as well as 2 comfy swivel chairs. Large closet, snack area with coffee maker and stocked frig, very large bathroom with 2 sinks and Jacuzzi tub. Nice porch outside with two large chairs. While it’s clear on the floor plan that the bedroom isn’t separate from the living room, for the price, that would have been nice. One cool thing is that you get a golf cart to get around the grounds as it is something of a hike to the main lodge from those cottages.

The grounds are large and beautifully tended. Just a beautiful bucolic setting with sheep and horses in the meadow, chickens and turkeys … you get the picture. I used the spa which was very nice and the massage was great. We rode bikes (free) around the property and hiked for two of the three days on the BB trails. I have to disagree with a comment made by another that the trails aren’t well maintained. I thought they were very well marked, easy to follow and not overgrown. That was a life-saver for us since we were there when the National Park was closed.

We thought the food was very good with generous portions. The wine list is unique with a wide and deep range of choices. If you like older wines, they can be had at value prices, as compared to what you might pay for them elsewhere (assuming you could find them).

Most of all, the service was great from beginning to end. The staff was friendly, professional and accommodating in every setting. One call to the front desk resolved any question or issue we had and it was done almost immediately. Room cleaned twice a day. One negative is that the concierge didn’t seem to know what was going on outside the property. As noted above, we were there during the national park shut down and we were eager to know what was going on locally. They didn’t really know. We also asked about the bike routes outside the property and with the exception of one route, they didn’t really seem to know about them

Cocoa Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Blackberry Farm is unique. It is luxurious in a laid-back way. The staff was unfailing in their attention and kindness. We stayed in one of the Holly Glade cottages. It was spacious and very comfortable. I could have lived in that cottage. The decor was like you would experience in a fine southern home, elegant, yet a lived-in appearance. Having a golf cart at our disposal was a godsend in getting up the hill from the cottage area to the other facilities. I loved the ambience of the Barn restaurant for dinner. The food was outstanding from the watermelon drink, to the soups, scallops, etc. Took advantage of the Lexus, the big one, to drive to Cade's Cove. Enjoyed a horse and buggy ride also.

Room Tip: Love the privacy of the Holly Glade cottage we had. It was on the end of the cottages, with just woo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

This property has been on my wife's bucket list for years. Any review I write can not do it full service. Their search for excellence is apparent and achieved in my sight.

Staff...extraordinary. Room...dated, but dated perfectly. Food...best I've eaten anywhere. Warmed bathroom floors, perfect wine selection, Lexus on-site transportation, virtually any activity you could want outdoors or in. Did I say great food and great service?

It's a 10 on this 5 scale. I'm back in a blink.

Room Tip: Yes, you can't go wrong.
Naples, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

A getaway vacation is more than just the hotel room. And that is what Blackberry Farm is, it is an experience. From check-in to check-out, guest services is tops. All requests are filled with a smile and a "my pleasure". We traveled with younger couples who enjoyed the numerous trails and hikes. My husband and I did shorter walks on property and did a lot of reading by the lit fireplace. I typically eat 2 meals a day, but not at BF. The meals are Low Country with a metropolitan twist, absolutely delicious. Who need a Chinese restaurant-looking menu when it is difficult to decide among the 3-5 offerings for each course. The freshness oozes from every bite. Andy and Andrew selected the perfect wine pairings for our meals. We did not get to see the fall colors on the mountains as in years past, but the good weather made up for that. I'll admit I thought the carpeting and some furniture could have used a good cleaning, but other than that, I loved my time at Blackberry Farm. I'll schedule next year's trip by Feb or Mar to be sure to get my room preference.

Room Tip: The Guest House has a warm, friendly common room. The cottages are more private.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Framingham, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Fabulous "farm" setting in the Great Smokey Mountains. Elegant accommodations, very comfortable bed, great toiletries: we enjoyed our room, all the great books, small chocolates , cookies , bedside water and welcome notes from the Guest Relations manager. The service was absolutely superb, including Reception, Valets, chauffer's and waiting staff everywhere. The food, especially dinners, was very "inventive" pretentious, mostly overdone and dry, to the point, that we shared and enjoyed tremendously chicken fingers and French fries , that was done just right! We returned may be there should be a choice of food ( especially on the great farm, like that) for the REAL people!

Room Tip: we were in the main house and Teaberry Room was fabulous!
New Orleans, Louisiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I went for a romantic weekend away (much needed with two children under 3 at home). I researched, looked forward to the trip for months and booked a standard room at $1000/night. I assumed the standard room at a resort charging that amount would be gracious, if not luxurious. Turns out I was very wrong.
Our room was barely bigger than our bed, with no place to sit, relax or enjoy room-service. The bathroom was tiny, with a pedestal sink, medicine cabinet and 4ft tub. The worst part of the room, however, was the two-inch gap between the hotel-room door and the floor. You could literally see the other guests' feet as they walked by and could hear every word they said and move they made. . .not exactly romantic or conducive to sleeping in.
The grounds were fine - beautiful views, ok pool, poorly maintained hiking trails. The barn where the events were held was beautiful - too bad we couldn't sleep there.
The food was fantastic - though I found it to be a little salty and heavily grit-centric.
Some might argue that because meals are included it is actually a decent value (or at least not a rip-off), but we calculated that at the very most BBF could attribute $500 of their nightly revenue to food. Therefore, we were effectively paying $500 dollars for a dumpy room in the middle of nowhere. I would have been happier visiting during the day and staying at the nearest Hampton Inn (not that they would allow that).
All in all, we were disappointed that the weekend did not lend itself to the relaxation and romance we had hoped for and were $4000 poorer for it.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Blackberry Farm? Share your experiences!