“How do I put in a 10 Rating.” 5 of 5 stars

Blackberry Farm
1471 West Millers Cove Road, Walland, TN 37886   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Walland
MO
“How do I put in a 10 Rating.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

This property has been on my wife's bucket list for years. Any review I write can not do it full service. Their search for excellence is apparent and achieved in my sight.

Staff...extraordinary. Room...dated, but dated perfectly. Food...best I've eaten anywhere. Warmed bathroom floors, perfect wine selection, Lexus on-site transportation, virtually any activity you could want outdoors or in. Did I say great food and great service?

It's a 10 on this 5 scale. I'm back in a blink.

Room Tip: Yes, you can't go wrong.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Naples, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

A getaway vacation is more than just the hotel room. And that is what Blackberry Farm is, it is an experience. From check-in to check-out, guest services is tops. All requests are filled with a smile and a "my pleasure". We traveled with younger couples who enjoyed the numerous trails and hikes. My husband and I did shorter walks on property and did a lot of reading by the lit fireplace. I typically eat 2 meals a day, but not at BF. The meals are Low Country with a metropolitan twist, absolutely delicious. Who need a Chinese restaurant-looking menu when it is difficult to decide among the 3-5 offerings for each course. The freshness oozes from every bite. Andy and Andrew selected the perfect wine pairings for our meals. We did not get to see the fall colors on the mountains as in years past, but the good weather made up for that. I'll admit I thought the carpeting and some furniture could have used a good cleaning, but other than that, I loved my time at Blackberry Farm. I'll schedule next year's trip by Feb or Mar to be sure to get my room preference.

Room Tip: The Guest House has a warm, friendly common room. The cottages are more private.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Framingham, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Fabulous "farm" setting in the Great Smokey Mountains. Elegant accommodations, very comfortable bed, great toiletries: we enjoyed our room, all the great books, small chocolates , cookies , bedside water and welcome notes from the Guest Relations manager. The service was absolutely superb, including Reception, Valets, chauffer's and waiting staff everywhere. The food, especially dinners, was very "inventive" pretentious, mostly overdone and dry, to the point, that we shared and enjoyed tremendously chicken fingers and French fries , that was done just right! We returned may be there should be a choice of food ( especially on the great farm, like that) for the REAL people!

Room Tip: we were in the main house and Teaberry Room was fabulous!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
New Orleans, Louisiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I went for a romantic weekend away (much needed with two children under 3 at home). I researched, looked forward to the trip for months and booked a standard room at $1000/night. I assumed the standard room at a resort charging that amount would be gracious, if not luxurious. Turns out I was very wrong.
Our room was barely bigger than our bed, with no place to sit, relax or enjoy room-service. The bathroom was tiny, with a pedestal sink, medicine cabinet and 4ft tub. The worst part of the room, however, was the two-inch gap between the hotel-room door and the floor. You could literally see the other guests' feet as they walked by and could hear every word they said and move they made. . .not exactly romantic or conducive to sleeping in.
The grounds were fine - beautiful views, ok pool, poorly maintained hiking trails. The barn where the events were held was beautiful - too bad we couldn't sleep there.
The food was fantastic - though I found it to be a little salty and heavily grit-centric.
Some might argue that because meals are included it is actually a decent value (or at least not a rip-off), but we calculated that at the very most BBF could attribute $500 of their nightly revenue to food. Therefore, we were effectively paying $500 dollars for a dumpy room in the middle of nowhere. I would have been happier visiting during the day and staying at the nearest Hampton Inn (not that they would allow that).
All in all, we were disappointed that the weekend did not lend itself to the relaxation and romance we had hoped for and were $4000 poorer for it.

• Stayed August 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

I sent this note after returning home. While it refers to a single incident during our stay, it symbolizes the excellence of the staff from top to bottom.

Tommy,

After several stays at Blackberry, my wife I were pretty well accustomed to the superb service and extra mile care that you are so well known for. Nothing though prepared us for the response of your team when Marg had her back troubles part way through an evening meal. Not only was a potentially awkward incident handled with seemingly effortless ease, but it was all accomplished with a cheerfulness and kindness that soared well above and beyond anything we could have hoped. The young man (we did not get his name) who assisted Marg back to the cottage deserves special praise. He very gently eased her into the cottage and then did everything he could to ensure she was as comfortable as possible (water?, TV? anything?).

From beginning to end, Tommy, every member of your team who was called upon responded with warmth, genuine solicitude, and flawless competence. Please express out thanks to everyone involved and accept our very deep gratitude.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hunt Valley, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Hello,
Last week my husband and I were lucky enough to be invited to a family wedding at Blackberry Farm for the entire weekend. I appreciated the short mini van ride from the airport to the farm. We drove past the white board fenced property of Blackberry glancing at the horses, sheep and llamas grazing in the pasture. We noticed the new spa being built then the tennis courts and pool. We drove to the main reception house. Our accommodations were superior. A semi detached home nestled in the woods with it's own covered porch plus two rocking chairs. The first nights picnic by the pond exceeded my expectations. When the Chateauneuf du Pape bottles arrived on the table it set my expectations high for the rest of the meal. They did not disappoint. The smoked flavors of the salmon, chicken and pork were above the top. Fireworks, bluegrass band, smores on an open fire all added to a great experience. The next day wine tasting during the wedding reception was informative. The wedding reception food was a foodie's dream meal. I would love to fox hunt with the Tenn. Valley Hunt and experience the November opening day. The only drawback, it took us two flights to finally arrive at the Knoxville airport. I can only imagine Thanksgiving with the family at Blackberry........

Room Tip: the cluster of homes such as Wild Turkey, Indigo Bunting were elegant
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Birmingham
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

My husband and I had heard from several friends and acquaintances how wonderful Blackberry Farm is. We decided to try it for our anniversary. We stayed on a Sunday evening. We had booked our reservations by phone. We understood our fee included room, dinner, breakfast and a lunch before we left or box lunch. We were totally surprised at check-in that a 19 percent gratuity would be added to our bill. We were taken aback by this but were still thinking if everything was wonderful, we were OK with that. The staff was prompt and courteous in getting us to our room in the main house. Again, we were shocked at the size of the room. It was very small and not at all impressive. We had no view except of a little wooded path. We then decided to go for a walk before dining at 7:15 pm. We did have a nice walk and walked to the barn where the dinner would be served. After our walk, we came back to the room. We had read the information given to us at check-in and read that each house had a pantry with a few snacks and colas. We were starving and knew it would be a while before dinner. My husband went to find the pantry and the staff downstairs did not know what he was talking about. My husband came back to the room, called the front desk and they did tell him where to go get a bag of chips. But the most disappointing part was our meal that evening. Our sommelier recommended the house Chardonnay since we just wanted a half bottle with dinner. If you get the wine pairings with the meal, you will have an additional charge of $125/person. When our wine arrived, that particular bottle was undrinkable and the sommelier agreed it was oxidized and quickly got another one. The dinner was as follows: great on the salad, OK on the scallops, terrible on the entrees and great on the dessert. Our server was great and asked why we didn't eat much of our entrees. We did tell him the halibut had been way overcookked and the beef loin was tasteless. He said he would mention it to the chef. My husband and I went back to the room, went to bed only to be waked up early with a knock at the door for room service which they discovered was for the wrong room. We did have a good breakfast and left with an OK box lunch. We were stunned on the trip driving back home to read reviews posted previously very similar to our experience. We just wish we had read these before booking our reservation. We had had several friends who were interested in how our trip there went so they would know if they wanted to go. I have to say they probably won't be going now. I think we won't get any real response from Guest Relations since every one we read to complaints similar to ours was answered with the same canned response such as "We appreciate your feedback blah, blah,blah.

• Stayed September 2013

Been to Blackberry Farm? Share your experiences!