“Blackberry Farm - A State of Mind” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Blackberry Farm

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Walland
Blackberry Farm
Save Saved
You added Blackberry Farm to your Saves list
1471 West Millers Cove Road, Walland, TN 37886   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Walland
Phoenix, AZ
“Blackberry Farm - A State of Mind”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We discovered Blackberry Farm about 10 years ago, and have returned between 1 - 3x per year. Coming from Phoenix, AZ, that is not easy, but with a bit of work, we can fly into TYS (Knoxville Airport, about 15 miles away).

We have only stayed in the Singing Brook Cottages, starting the first year that they were opened. At first, we were not quite sure what to expect. Their long-time chef had just left, and no one had reviews on the new replacement. While they have a lovely Web site, being an advertising photographer, I know what can be done to make things look a bit better, than they are.

Well, we were in for a very pleasant surprise - at every level. Our last dozen stays have revolved around culinary and/or wine events, the most recent being their Hospice du Rhône, May, 2013. The event was, as all have been, great, but what makes it all so very special is Blackberry Farm itself, and the fantastic staff. From the moment that we see the white fence on W. Miller's Cove Road, all of the troubles of our world start to dissolve. We spend a great deal of time in Hawai`i, and the term "Island time" is used a lot. Well, we find that there is "Blackberry Farm time." Everything slows down (except for the pace of the service staff, who are always busy, making our stay perfect), or even seems to stand still. Nothing is rushed, from the three meals a day, to the wine service. Ultimate quality is their goal, and they accomplish that everywhere. Just relaxing in a rocking chair on the patio outside of the Dogwood Bar (Main House), is an anticipated endeavor for us.

I cannot comment on any of the other accommodations, besides the Singing Brook Cottages, as we have never stayed elsewhere on the property. There are "lodge rooms," plus other cottage arrangements, and maybe some day we will try one of those. The Singing Brook Cottages are very spacious, extremely quiet, well-appointed and, most of all, comfortable. They feel like home to us.

The breakfasts are served in the Main House Dining Room, and lunch is often there, or on the patio outside too. Dinners are served in The Barn (with the exception of some event meals, which are in the Main House). Chef Joseph Lenn focuses on fresh ingredients, with many coming from the property - Blackberry Farm IS a working farm, and one really MUST tour it with John Coykendall, Master Gardner. Chef Lenn, a recent James Beard award winner, blends Southern & Foothills Cuisine with many modern techniques. Most of what isn't sourced from the property, comes from near-by.

Blackberry Farm's wine program is truly outstanding, with a cadre of sommeliers, and an astounding cellar.

The culinary and wine services would garner 3 Michelin stars in Europe or the UK.

We travel to luxury resorts around the world, and Blackberry Farm is still our paradigm.

Room Tip: If one plans on doing all three meals in a day, they must pace themselves, as quantities are rather...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
brianlee95, Guest Relations Manager at Blackberry Farm, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Thank you for your post. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

On a trip from NC to Nashville, on May 19, 2013,we stopped at Blackberry Farm since we had heard so much about it. The staff was terrific and very attentive and there were many of them. Our dinner was fantastic and the knowledgeable sommelier was wonderful with his wine selection. Breakfast was good if not great and the box lunch they provided us for our road trip was a whole lot better than the Golden Arches.
It was our room that greatly disappointed, especially for the price. We were in the main building and had a king bed about 10 feet off the floor, difficult for a short person like me to get into. The next morning I was awakened by vibrations from the a/c and exhaust units right outside our window. Not pleasant. Although the view was superb, the noise was not. Plus the toilet backed up.
We did not participate in any other activities on the farm but were hit with a $300 "tax" when we checked out. This was not anticipated nor told us when we booked the room. All told, a room stay was not worth the money but we'd go back for the food. Since we live on the West Coast, I doubt that will happen.

Room Tip: Stay away from the roof in the front of the main building. I imagine the individual cottages are muc...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
brianlee95, Guest Relations Manager at Blackberry Farm, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
I appreicate your feedback from your stay with us. I was sorry to hear that your visit did not meet your expectations. I always enjoy hearing from our guests and value the opportunity to strive to make Blackberry the best it can be. Please accept my apologies for the details that were overlooked. I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed our team and other aspects of your stay.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

My husband and I had a beautiful stay at Blackberry Farm in April. They do a wonderful job of staying true to their location and enabling guests to experience the surrounding beauty and bounty. While our room was not really spectacular in and of itself, being one of the smaller rooms in the main house on top of the gift shop, it was quiet and the bed was extremely comfortable. Besides, why stay in the room when you can be outdoors here? We had a splendid time hiking around the property, skeet-shooting, biking and laboring over one of their remarkable Stave Puzzles (ask for them at the reception desk!!) out on the lawn and later by the fireplace. The food is fantastic - but very heavy so all that hiking is a necessary evil!! We had thought there would be more 'light' or healthy options for lunch like salads, but not to be - think BBQ, fried chicken, mac and cheese, etc. But the griddle cakes for breakfast are worth the splurge and merited the cover of Bon Appetit magazine last month!! And the dinners - in all formats are splendid - we did each one: a la carte 3-course, full tasting menu, and the casual meal in the bar room, and all were superior. The Barn where dinner is served, is nothing short of spectacular. Dark, making pictures difficult, but the food is sublime. This year's James Beard award was well-deserved! We highly recommend it for all experiences - a romantic couples vacation, a friends-getaway, or a family trip!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Summerfield, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

My husband and I spend a weekend at Blackberry Farm in 2012 for the Americana Music Association event. We had been looking for a good opportunity to go and this was it as we are huge John Hiatt fans and he was the headliner for the weekend. On the plus side the setting is beautiful and the staff was attentive for the most part.

On the other hand we thought it was outrageously overpriced, especially the food. I heard guests rave and rave but I felt like it was the story The Emperor's New Clothes where everyone was afraid to say the Emperor was naked. Dinner both nights was set at about $120 per person for five courses (drinks/wine not included). I was a little worried at first about dinner being five courses as neither of us is a big eater. We love quality food but not large quanties. However, with that in mind, I weight 112 pounds and am 5'6" and was starving an hour after dinner both nights. I wish I could remember exactly what was served but each portion was so tiny that it was almost insulting. Both dinners conjured up images of what the meals might be like at a lovely spa where women go for a week to relax and loose 10 pounds. I do not need to loose a pound but would have lost 10 if I had been there for a week.

While on the subject of dinner, I was absolutely shocked that we were assigned seats at tables with other guests both nights! I wanted to relax and visit with my husband during dinner but the first night we were seated at a table with four other guests. Once I got over my initial horror, it turned out ok as they had all been to BB Farm before and shared some interesting tales about previous trips. It wasn't what I wanted but I made the best of it. The second night we were seated with a great couple who was celebrating a special anniversary. I felt bad for us and for them to have to sit together as they were having a romantic weekend away from their small children. To make small talk with strangers during a romantic dinner is very unromantic, not to mention exhausting!

The tickets for the music over the weekend were $600 each which amounted to just a few hours of music. Of course there were a lot of other activities available and each one was a la carte and outrageously priced. One could easlily spend a fortune in a weekend there -- and sometimes spending a fortune in a weekend it worth it. My husband and I travel extensively and spend a lot of money doing so. We are happy to spend it when the experience (food, accomodations, activities, service, ambiance) is worthy but we did not think BB Farm was worthy of the pricetag at all. It was like The Emperor's New Clothes.

The only reason I rated it "poor" instead of "terrible" is that the setting was beautiful (not beautiful enough thought to make up for everything else). The rooms and cleanliness were average.

Room Tip: Do not go to Blackberry Farm. Pick another place entirely.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing the details of your stay. I appreciate your feedback and have shared this with our special events team. We are always looking for ways to improve our music events and your comments are a valuable part of that process. As we plan for our next music season we will certainly take these into consideration for providing the best possible guest experience.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Our kids are 28, 27 and 22. No signficant others just yet, so we wanted a place to be with the kids to check in with them and connect. Between activities and wonderful dining we all had a terrific time. Our kids love good food and this place is very creative. One of our kids is a vegetarian and they loved it.

Room Tip: We stayed in the farmhouse with three bedrooms. A lovely and private setting.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Franklin, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

Took me 51 years to make my first stay at Blackberry Farm but will not be my last. This is an amazing experience. This was a three couple trip and one to remember. Setting is incredibly lovely farmland at foothills of the Smokey Mountains. The exteriors are understated and organic to the area ... Clapboard cottage inns and wooden cabins surrounded by mature trees and forests. The Main Inn and Guest House feature small bedrooms and bath which are fine for short stay but the cabins really offer you the full experience and privacy. The bedding is top notch. Featherbed and divine linens and pillows make it difficult to crawl out of bed. The ponds and fire pits and activities offer just enough to do but it's the food and dining experiences that make this a 5 star property. Breakfast and lunch are in the Main House in a lovely hillside setting. The BBQ buffet lunch at the picnic tables is one of my favorite meal experiences anywhere. Stunning. But dinner at The Barn is world class. Plan on dressing up and spending at least three hours in the magnificent barn, one of the most fab rooms I've ever seen. We couldn't have had a better server in Kellie. She was so fantastic we assumed she was out of culinary school but just a four year vet of the resort out of UT Biochemistry major. They need to be fast tracking this young lady up the management chain let me tell you. The portions seem small until you near the end and realize you couldn't eat one more bite. They are happy to sub for picky eaters or vegetarians or almond-allergens and then they never forget. It was a wonderful getaway and one we can't wait to repeat every year.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

We just completed a three day birthday stay in a cottage at Blackberry Farm. Fished on property for rainbows with success, rode bikes on beautiful car less country roads, rode fine horses, used the pool. Had a totally wonderful experience. The property is incredible in so many ways. Staffs attention to detail extends to the grounds, quality of food, bedroom furnishings and bedding. Never stayed anywhere else that gets it like Blackberry. Everything was as good as it gets. Especially the food and wine. The wine cellar has 155,000 bottles in it. So many great older vintages. If you are a food or wine lover...try it.
Not inexpensive....but given the experience, so worth it!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Blackberry Farm? Share your experiences!