“I hope you like to have several drinks before your meal!!!” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Steakhouse, Pizza & Pasta, Family Fare, Chicken Wings
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Kingsport, Tennessee
“I hope you like to have several drinks before your meal!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

When our little group of seven went to dinner at Fast Jack's, we had been alerted that this was probably the best place to dine on a Saturday night in town. After a seemingly short 20 - 30 minute wait for a table we were promptly seated and prepared for an excellent dining experience. We were initially offered to sit in the bar area, however, smoking was allowed in there and since all of us were non-smokers this did not appeal to us.

Once seated the waitress promptly took our soft drink orders and after getting them to us, took our orders. After that it all went down hill. Now the seven of us were friends and enjoyed each others conversations; however, after about 45 minutes, we began to wonder where our food had gone. We also started looking around and noticing that "no one" had their food and our waitress was serving lots of drinks, but no food. After an hour, we finally saw some plates coming out of the kitchen; and ours were to follow shortly.

Unfortunately, the waitress must have been concentrating on drinks so much that she had left our food on the counter for a bit as everyone's food was cold, except for mine, which hadn't been completed. I had ordered the pork tenderloin sandwich with fries and waited approximately 15 minutes while this was done. I'm not sure I'd have gotten it even then, but we stopped the manager and told her and she looked into it. My guess is that they had overlooked my order. Not sure.

Interestingly, when it did come out it was hot and fresh and I will admit, a very ample and tasty portion. Unfortunately again, my friends were pretty much done eating so I was left to eat my hot meal by myself.

When the checks arrived nothing was even said about the quality of food nor the lack of service in receiving it. We felt badly for our waitress because she even admitted that the service was very poor and was sorry we had to put up with this. Despite all of this, the folks in Tullahoma must overlook it because Fast Jack's was packed, even as we left at around 8:30 or 9 p.m. We had arrived at 6:45 p.m. We didn't plan on over a 2 hour meal.

I'm not sure again if the poor service for food was due to kitchen problems or waitress issues; but whatever it is, I hope they get the problem fixed as the menu highlights some great offerings and if hot, they would have been delicious. I'm hoping we just hit there on a bad night.

• Visited September 2012