“Better than I expected” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #47 of 56 Restaurants in Tullahoma
Cuisines: American, French, Greek, Italian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Doing business
Description: A free standing building in front off the high school of Tullahoma, with 16 asphalt parking lots and additional parking around the property. One mile from the Tullahoma mall and one mile from the City Hall.
Anonyme Island, Seychelles
“Better than I expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

Lately we have had the opportunity to try a few restaurants in Tullahoma, and we have tried a couple of low profile places. Nicholas was one of these. This is a small, very plain restaurant that tries for a Greek theme. It does have Greek dishes as well as pizza and steaks. The decor is what you would expect from a diner or a small cafe - inexpensive. You don't eat here for the atmosphere or sophisticated service. On the other hand, neither will offend you and it is clean.
We ordered a beef gyro sandwich and beef stroganoff. The stroganoff came with a salad. I had hoped for some kind of home made Greek dressing, but it was store bought and not very good. But the lettuce and tomatoes were fresh. It also came with a roll and a couple of small sealed servings of margarine (not butter). So, at this point we were not expecting much from the entree. For that matter we weren't expecting much when we walked in. We tried it hoping we might find a good place.
Both the gyro and the stroganoff were decent - as in good. My wife was pleased with the gyro, as I was with the stroganoff. The bill was somewhere around $25 including the tip.
So, we walked away willing to return in the future, but not compelled to come back at the next opportunity. If you frequent restaurants in this area, you will do a lot worse. I would place this restaurant in the top 25% in Tullahoma, but not at the top of that range.
I give it three stars for the food.
It could easily have been better - with a little more attention to the salad and dressing, roll, etc. They obviously take at least some care with the entree. A little care with the other things that are placed on the table would go a long way.

• Visited September 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Chattanooga, Tennessee
“No One Does It Better!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2011

I have worked in the restaurant business for close to 20 years so I know what good food and service really are. But I have to say that Nicholas Restaurant is probably the best I have ever seen. The owner always greets guests with a warm hello and big smile. Everyone is so polite and the restaurant is exceptionally clean. And the food. The food is to die for. I usually get the Chicken Souvaki but last time I got the steak diane. It was absolutely wonderful. The steak is cooked to the customer's liking and the sauce is made with real cream and fresh mushrooms. It was wonderful. Thank you, Nicholas Restaurant for all of your hard work.

• Visited May 2010
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Tullahoma, Tennessee
“good food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

every good place to eat.really nice owners.eaten there many many year.great place to go eat some good food

• Visited March 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Estill Springs, Tennessee
“My favorite place to eat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

Nicholas restaurant had been my exclusive choice for dining out for 10 years. The menu is great and consists of authentic greek cuisine. I cannot adequately describe the quality and service that me and my family experience each and every time we dine there. The food is reasonably priced, always delicious, always fresh and made to order and always served promptly. In particular, the steaks are the best I have eaten, I would highly recommend trying the pepper steak.

• Visited March 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Miramar Beach, Florida
“Quality Food, Fresh Ingredients Prepared with Expertise in a Small Town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2011

The Nicholas Family restaurant in Tullahoma, TN sits in a nondescript building along a main street. It is close to the local high school and does not serve wine or mixed drinks. No doubt, many local residents pass it by in favor of their favorite "all you can eat" buffet or local bar-b-que joint to fill up on pork sandwiches or chicken. Passing up this restaurant will be their loss and, perhaps, a demonstration of their lack of appreciation for an excellent restaurant with has low prices, excellent food prepared by a trained chef and an informal family atmosphere.

We travel frequently and also eat out on a daily basis. Finding a small, family-owned restaurant that demonstrates pride and expertise in preparing the food that is served and using fresh ingredients is always a pleasant surprise. The Nicholas Family restaurant is true to its name. It is a family restaurant. This is the only location. It will be a pleasant surprise to many people who appreciate these qualities.

While many restaurants that serve excellent food feature white linen table clothes and an extensive wine list, this restaurant that serves excellent food without the frills. It is neat and clean, the service is very good and, in the traditional European model, it is a chef-owned restaurant with family members all pitching in to help.

We have been to the restaurant many times and, since it is small and we usually visit during the off hours, we have had a chance to meet and talk with the family. On our most recent wedding anniversary, we decided to celebrate the special occasion with a meal there.

The owner and chef is Petros Pisinos. The restaurant caters to the preferences of local residents with its selection of food but my favorites on the menu are the Greek dishes which are always cooked with fresh ingredients and expertly prepared. We tried his latest addition to the menu, shrimp saganaki.

The dish had a taste of white wine, feta cheese, garlic and Greek seasoning and is served on a bed or rice. I also ordered a side dish of green beans which are cut and cooked daily as a side dish. We also ordered pita bread to accompany the shrimp.

The shrimp was outstanding with a taste of lemon and, of course, the wine and cheese accentuating the flavor of the shrimp. The green beans appear to be cooked with olive oil and bacon and were served hot. My wife ordered the Greek salad which comes with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, feta cheese, olives, onion and green pepper with a Greek dressing. The salads and the beans are dishes we frequently get as a side dish and they have never disappointed us with the freshness of the vegetables and the lettuce.

I asked Chef Pisinos about the tomatoes in the salads (including the Greek tomato salad) and how he keeps the tomatoes fresh. His answer was that he does not store them but buys them fresh each day and the salads are also made up each day to ensure the lettuce is crisp and the vegetables are always fresh.

For dessert, we had the homemade baklava. It contained plenty of finely ground walnuts, honey and the usual thin crust which gives the baklava the exquisite taste one can only experience when it is made from scratch with fresh ingredients. A local restaurant that prepares baklava that is not opened from a box and put into a microwave to serve always deserves consideration as a great place to eat.

On previous occasions, I have tried the gyro plate, the pepper steak, the beef stroganoff, and the chicken souvlaki--all of which are excellent.

The prices are very reasonable. The shrimp saganaki was $14.00 and a pepper steak with a filet is about $14.00. The prices are comparable to a middle of the road chain restaurant. the taste and quality of the food is the equivalent of a high end restaurant.

In short, we have been to restaurants in large cities across the country, some of which are very expensive, that frequently do not compare to this small family restaurant. The taste and quality of the food is comparable to a restaurant with the ambiance imbued with a quiet bar, linen tablecloths, an impressive wine list and a maître d' in a nice suit.

For those who are impressed with the frills, this restaurant may not be impressive. For those who care about the taste and quality of the food, Nicholas' restaurant is a surprising find in a small city. It is well worth typing the address into your GPS system and giving it a try.

• Visited April 2011