“1 hour ride” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 15 Activities in Townsend
Type: Horseback Riding Stables, Sports
More attraction details
Owner description: Welcome to Cades Cove Riding Stables located in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park in Cades Cove. The National Park's only authorized riding stables in Cades Cove Whether you're young or old, expert or novice, a Horseback, Carriage, or Hayride trip in the breathtaking Cades Cove in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park is an adventure you'll never forget. If you have a hearty frontier spirit and are ready to hit the trail, come take pleasure in some wholesome outdoor fun at our stable area. You will be greeted by our Guides, who are committed to providing you with a safe and memorable excursion within the scenic Cades Cove. Cades Cove Riding Stables offers adventure options for the entire family who wish to enjoy the magnificent Cades Cove. We specialize in providing Guided Horseback, Carriage, and Hay rides for National Park visitors who desire an alternative method of enjoying the scenic splendor of the park. Off the beaten path, you'll see what's under the forest canopy, and maybe even some woodland critters! You'll even learn a bit about our Cove as our guides share stories of the remnants of a historic settlement period.
Clovis, California
“1 hour ride”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

good service and staff was helpful. We took the 1 hr ride and saw a mother bear and 3 cubs about 30ft away. Horses never flenched at the bears. Was a typical single file ride, all walking, good for the novice.

Mequon, WI
“Delightful experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

This delightful experience included beautiful scenery, an interesting ride, a careful guide, well trained horses, and a sensitive staff.

Valdosta
5 attraction reviews
“The best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

The people are great. My 7 year old son rode by himself and I was never concerned. Guide was informative, funny and kind. Everyone should try it. they also have a carriage ride for those not wanting to ride horse. My wife said it was great also.

Visited August 2011
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
5 attraction reviews
“Worth the money!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

View was spectacular, trail ride was one of the best I have ever been on.

Maryville, Tennessee
“Wonderful time and great staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

I have been going to Cades Cove Stables since I was 15 years old and when the Myers family moved their stables to Townsend Tennessee I followed. I have sat today reading all the post that people have put on this site and it makes me sick to my stomach that someone could have had a bad experience at this riding stables. I would like to first say that no one is perfect and people have bad days, but did anyone take the time to speak to the staff and the owners about the bad experience they had. I sure hope you did, because I assure you I would have not been a loyal patron of this business since I was 15 if the service and guides were not good. For those of you that have had a bad experience I am so sorry and I hope you can give this business one more chance and I hope that you will take five minutes out of your day to call and speak to the owner. Because I promise they will fix the problem and take care of you.

Now to tell you about the day I had. Man was it fun. First we did a nice trail ride to the waterfall. No there was not a lot of water coming down, some people might call it a little dry, but I know the guides can't control the rain fall so that is nature. But I did see a flock of wild turkey and for the first time I seen a white turkey. This was really cool to see. Our guide Elias told us the white turkey was called a clay baker. This was pretty cool. I did not see any bear, but to be honest I was actually scared to, but at the same time was hoping to. We were surrounded by butterflies as we went through the walnut grove. I love seeing butterflies. They are so peaceful and beautiful. It is amazing how something can start out so unattractive and then turn into something so beautiful. Elias was so such a good guide. He made jokes and talked to us the entire time. We passed the carriage going to Granny's house and it made me want to stop and and look inside this homestead. But one good rule is keep your horses moving, so we did not get to stop right away like we wanted, but after a wonderful horseback ride. We decided we must be able to see inside that cute little house and to hear the history of this house from Mrs. Verna Myers. So after the horse back ride we decided we had to take a carriage ride. Our carriage driver was Gary Joe AKA "Mountain Booger", he was such a wonderful guide. He made us laugh so hard. Granny's house was really neat to see. I can't imagine having to have a bed in my living room, nor do I ever want to use an outhouse, but to see and hear the stories was great.

Thank you so much to the owners and to the wonderful employees. You guys do a great job and not only that but you all seem so pure of heart. Your horses are in great health and thank you for allowing me to give them treats at the end of the day. Not many places will allow you to do that.

I had a great time and I will be back soon for a hay ride.
Nikki M.