“A great place to stay in the Smokies” 5 of 5 stars

Dancing Bear Cabins
3.5 of 5 Lodge   |   137 Apple Valley Way, Townsend, TN 37882   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Vail, Colorado
“A great place to stay in the Smokies”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

The Dancing Bear Lodge was a wonderful place to stay; I only wish my trip could have been a little longer. The staff was very warm and welcoming… and you felt like you were not at a hotel, but at your best friend’s house. If you needed anything the staff was there with a smile on their face.
Our dinner was delicious and everything was cooked to perfection. Chef Carter and his team do a great job bringing you locally grown ingredients in an elegant way but in casual rustic mountain environment. And after dinner you can relax by the fire while finishing a glass of wine and making S’mores! This is a perfect home away from home for a trip to the Smokey Mountains. Thank you for a great experience.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a two night stay for our anniversary. We had a wonderful time and enjoyed bike riding, relaxing by the fire, roasting smores and feeling like we were not guests in the lodge but as if the lodge was "our home" for two nights. You must eat at the restuarant, wonderful food!! If you are looking for a great place to stay on the quiet side of the smokies, this is it!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Arlington, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

Stayed here for two nights as part of our wedding accommodations. From the minute we arrived the staff was friendly, helpful, warm and accommodating. They catered to our every need with a smile and friendly attitude. The lodge itself is beautiful on the inside and out, the grounds are well maintained, and the rooms are immaculate. We had a few cabins in our room block as well and they were all in great shape, with the gem being the LeConte cabin!

Ate at the lodge for breakfast, which is a no-frills buffet, but has the basics such as breads, muffins, toast, and cereal. Coffee and juice are available. We had dinner there as well and the food was very good.

We will definitely be back!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Knoxville, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

My boyfriend surprised me with a special date on Saturday with dinner reservations at the Dancing Bear. The atmosphere in the restaurant is very quaint and relaxing. I started with the spinach fig salad with fresh cheese, and it was the best salad I've ever eaten! The flavors were simply amazing. He started with a chowder soup that was delicious. I ordered the flat iron steak, and he ordered the trout. Both entrees had amazing flavors that literally danced in our mouths! We decided to split two desserts - the pound cake and the brownie with ice cream. The brownie with ice cream was our favorite of the two. The portions were small which we liked because it allowed us to enjoy more courses. The quality and flavors of the food were top notch. The service was excellent. Our dinner (without wine, and including the gratuity) was $103 and completely worth every penny. Highly recommend for foodies! Be sure to make reservations as the restaurant is fairly small and intimate.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Cape Coral, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

For our first stay in Townsend, we picked the Dancing Bear Lodge & were very satisfied with our stay. We received a deal thru Facebook & paid for 2 nights with the 3rd night free (stayed Tuesday thru Thursday nights). We had a deluxe one bedroom cabin - the Newfound Gap cabin - which was a further distance away from the main road & lodge, which we appreciated. The grounds & lobby of the lodge were beautiful. Check-in was a breeze & our cabin was ready early. The cabins are small, but, more than enough room for 2 people. The cabin was clean & the linens were nice. My husband did say that the mattress sagged a little bit in the middle, but, wasn't bad overall. I would have liked if the kitchen was a little better stocked with cooking utensils, but, we made do with what was provided. We used the hot tub on the back porch one of the nights & thoroughly enjoyed the rocking chairs on the porch. There was a church (we think) nearby that had bells chiming every hour on the hour & played a few songs at different times of the day that we enjoyed, as well. One morning, we awoke to squirrels playing on the tin roof, a cow mooing in the pasture behind us & the church bells chiming & thought it was a perfect alarm clock to start our day.
I didn't find out until making a trip to the local grocery store (IGA) that wine isn't sold in any of the Townsend stores, so, if I wanted a bottle of wine to enjoy on my vacation we had to drive to a Marysville or Gatlinburg liquor store. Our other option was to have a glass or bottle of wine offered at The Dancing Bear Lodge restaurant, instead. We had dinner at the restaurant one night & both felt it was one of the best dinners we'd had in a while. I had the trout with shrimp & grits & my husband had steak -- everything was delicious. We were able to have breakfast one morning in the lodge & it was a good continental breakfast. Fruit, cereal, breads, pastries, quiche, coffee & juice were provided.
The location of the lodge to the Smoky Mountains was excellent -- very close by to Cades Cove. We would definitely stay here, again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Peoria, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

Imagine being surrounded by the Smokey Mountains staying at an exceptional place that offers excellent and personal service, cozy, spacious guestrooms and cabins with feather beds, a magnificent property with plenty to do while enjoying the homemade and seasonal foods by the popular acclaimed chef.
Well, I just experienced it at the beautiful Dancing Bear Lodge. I travel all over the world and little did I know, an amazing place like Dancing Bear Lodge even existed in the U.S. I stayed for 2 nights, both for personal and business, the get away feeling hit me upon my arrival. I received many smiles from the staff and get this ... did you know they give you the keys to the front door of the main lodge, let alone a regular key (not card) to open your own guestroom or cabin door? What other place does that for you? The lodge feel with the famous hand carved fireplace, the amazing deluxe continental breakfast with homemade everything, including the peanut butter was so yummy. I enjoyed the peace and quiet walking trails on the property and was greeted by the southern hospitality of the employees along the way. Can't remember the last time I was called "Ma'am" - sweet!
Attending the meeting at the DBL was so special. I just loved having the meeting next to a real and warm fireplace. This was just the start, I'll be back and I really encourage anyone that wants a romantic, active, free-spirited, or looking to have a meeting MUST see and experience the Dancing Bear Lodge, a destination like no other ... is this heaven?

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
DancingBearOwner, Owner at Dancing Bear Cabins, responded to this review, April 18, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful review of Dancing Bear Lodge & Restaurant! Our team loves reading these, but mostly they love knowing they have made such a positive impact on our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon--for leisure or business.

Best,

Matt Alexander
Managing Partner
Dalton, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

My husband and I were in town and wanted to eat at the Dancing Bear Lodge Restaurant because we saw the reviews. We were happy they were open because we came the first week of March, when many other places are closed. We made reservations and were even seated early right next to the fireplace. The servers were very polite, everything was timely, and the food was delicious. We had the cheese and bread platter and were happy to see the Cowgirl Creamery Mt. Tam cheese on the plate. The tomato jam and rhubarb jam were particularly delicious. Dinner was trout for both of us, and it was perfect. Compliments to the chef. Thanks for a wonderful night out.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review of Dancing Bear Lodge & Restaurant. Compliments have been passed on to Chef Carter.

Best,

Matt Alexander
Managing Partner

Been to Dancing Bear Cabins? Share your experiences!