“Mold in 119” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Townsend
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Mold in 119”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed two nights at Highland over Labor Day weekend. My husband and I had room 119, other family had 118 next door. When we first walked in, our room smelled very bad, like a musty, damp basement. It was late. I sprayed some perfume on the carpet, turned up the air, and went to bed. We left the next morning to spend the day with family. I brought my daughter back with me that afternoon. The smell when we walked in was absolutely horrible. She immediately identified the odor as mold. She peeled back a loose corner of wall paper in the bathroom and found black mold. I asked to be changed to another room, which was still a little musty, but better. The desk clerk was courteous, and told me that they do have a problem with dampness in the rooms on the bottom floor in these units because they are built into the hillside. The problem is more than a little dampness. Considering the unusually rainy summer we have had, I am sure the problem has escalated into a major mold issue. It is a health issue and needs to be dealt with appropriately and immediately.
Otherwise, the rooms were clean on the surface and quite adequate. Our family in room 118 did notice an odor, but did not think it was as strong in their room. Ours was the end unit.

Room Tip: Insist on an upstairs room!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
SandyB242, Owner at Highland Manor Inn & Conference Center, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
I apologize for the condition of your room. It is not the normal condition of our property. My staff and I work hard to maintain all the rooms for our guests. We were aware that the wall had been wet. The past few weeks have been windy and with the recent rain we have had, leaves had traveled to the downspout and had blocked the flow of water out and away from the building. With the downspout stopped up, the water flooded the wall. When we discovered the wet wall, we immediately corrected the problem and I thought we had dried out the wall and the room sufficiently. Now I know we didn't. I appreciate your review so staff and I can fix this problem right away.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

Checked in, and bottom room was very musty. Later that day, wall,paper was pulled out and mold was underneath. Got another room which was better, but still a slight mold smell. My wife notified front desk, and the did not seemed concerned. They only stated that the ground floor rooms had moisture problems. Would not recommend this at all. Should be condemned

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
First please let me apologize for the condition of your room.
We pride ourselves in having excellent accommodations and work hard to maintain the rooms for our guests. I want to thank you for telling us about the mold problem. We were aware that the wall had been wet. With the heavy wind and rain we have had, leaves had traveled down into the spout and had blocked the flow of water out away from the building. With the downspout on the building where your room is located was stopped up, water did flood the wall. I thought we had taken care of the problem sufficiently. Obviously not. Rest assured we are working on it now.
Meridian
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

My Family and I have stayed at Highland Manor Inn several times over the last few years, and have been extremely happy with the rooms. We have been coming to the Smokies since 1997 and have rented hotels and cabins, usually in the higer price ranges ro make sure we would have no problems. I decided to try the Highland Manor Inn on a whim, because it looked inviting. I had read a couple of reviews, and most were okay. This inn is a great place to stay! Always clean and the staff is beyond good. If you want true family, "down home" service and hospitality, (and I am from the hospitality state!) this is the place stay. I read some of the sour reviews from the 50th wedding anniversary party and they did not paint an accurate picture of this inn. If you have a problem at this inn, they go out of there way to assist you.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Lafayette, Louisiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Stayed in adjoining rms 118 &119. Upon entering rm would choke and start coughing due to smell- possibly mold? Rm 119 was worst-at end possibly carpet wet at some time. By second day was coughing all day. Would not have stayed another night. Did not ask to change rms since needed adjoining rms and was afraid no other adjoining was available and elderly guest would think she was imposing. Had booked several months ahead for family anniversary. Were not told there was an old section and new section to consider when booking.. Family members in new section "knew better" and were satisfied. Family in old section were definitely not pleased.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
HIGMAN242, Owner at Highland Manor Inn & Conference Center, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
I do apologize for the closed up smell that you experienced in a set of our adjoining rooms. We don't often rent the adjoining rooms, but rather hold them for families that require the adjoining door. Staff is supposed to properly air out the rooms days before an arrival. We obviously failed to do that for you and I am sorry. There are four sets of adjoining rooms and had you spoken with me or my staff at the time, we possibly could have done something to help you be more satisfied. The rooms in the "new section" were not an option for you since you needed adjoining rooms and we did not build any adjoining rooms in that building. Highland Manor Inn has provided excellent accommodations at affordable rates for 31 years and there are no plans to be changing that tradition. We are in Townsend, at the Western Entrance to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. We have 49 rooms on a hill, with a beautiful view of the Smokies. You are welcome anytime.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

We were at this hotel for a family anniversary. We booked our room well in advance but felt we were given the left over room. Room 219 was awful. It did not have the smell that others had but it was very dated, no place to put our luggage, no place to hang anything as there was a refrigerator & microwave in the way. We had planned to have family visits in our room & there was no way that could take place as it was like being in a warehouse!! After some investigating, we found out there were other rooms that were in much better condition but we were never offered one of those rooms. This place could be much better IF they would clean out the OLD furnishings, brighten up rooms. They do have good location! Our room/warehouse was clean & there was no smell but it was terribly small for two people! We never rent rooms from family owners because we are afraid of this type of problem but our hosts assured us this was a good family operation. Our fears became fact & this was not good. We plan to come back to Townsend in Nov but after this experience, this will NOT be our choice. Old saying: you get what you pay for! Thanks Highland Manor for making our time with you miserable!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
I am sorry that you were not pleased with your accommodations at the Highland Manor Inn. I do remember your reservation request for a king bed, near the Conference Center where the 50th Anniversary party would be. The room we agreed upon was the only king room near the Conference Center that was available. I certainly wish you would have spoken to me or my staff and let us know you were unhappy so we could have had an opportunity to fix your issues. Our rooms are designed to be traditional, not trendy, just basic, clean and comfortable accommodations at an affordable, seasonal rate. After five years of business we saw a need and built the Conference Center for meetings and retreats, and two years after that my husband and I built an addition of 20 guestrooms. These rooms are a bit larger, but all the rooms are furnished traditionally and equal to the original Highland Manor Inn rooms. Highland Manor Inn will continue to offer clean, comfortable rooms at an affordable rate for families and couples coming to the Smokies to get away, to relax, and to enjoy the Inn and the area.
tampa FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Where do I begin? My parents rented the conference center for their 50th wedding anniversary. The place was dirty, the scenic deck was unusable, the table cloths were stained and they tried to charge $150-200 to remove extra chairs stacked up. They said you wouldn't notice them after you decorate. Really? There is also an old smelly torn couch and chair that they won't remove. That isn't even the worst part. There is limited parking and we filled the gravel lot and went into the regular parking (most of the guests were staying there so it shouldn't have been a problem). They interrupted the event three times to have us move cars. We parked where they told us and they came in again during my parents speeches and stopped them. Wait...it gets worse. Some of the guests told us at the event that their rooms smelled and were dirty. I thought they were exagerating until I smelled it. Wow! Awful! We were in cabins so we got as many guests in with our family as we could...no refunds were offered. Avoid this place!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here...camp, it will be cleaner and more comfortable than this
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
HIGMAN242, Owner at Highland Manor Inn & Conference Center, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
I am surprised and disappointed that this family who rented our Conference Facility for a 50th Anniversary Party would review Highland Manor Inn with such vengeance, and I am truly sorry that this person is so very unhappy.
As the owner and general manager of the Highland Manor Inn (HMI) my staff and I worked many hours with the Bride of 50 years in organizing the event, suggesting caterers, equipment rental, and covering again every single detail that one could imagine for such a party. We thought we had it all arranged.
The rooms were cleaned and prepared as always for guests. When the family came into the Center they arranged the tables and chairs as they wanted. The lovely deck became unusable when the family decided to put a table in front of the doors leading out to the deck. Several upholstered chairs were removed by staff from the center, but since preparation had not been made to remove the couch, the family agreed the couch remain for some to sit on. Normally staff suggests that the extra chairs be scattered throughout the center so they can be used and not stacked to make a noticeable pile of empty chairs. Usually, when the Conference Center is rented, the majority of attendees are guests at Highland Manor Inn. Since this was not the case for their 50th Party, parking needed to be managed more closely and HMI staff should have paid more attention to this detail when the other guests arrived. I apologize and take full responsibility for this parking oversight and vow to do a better job with traffic control in the future. There were some rooms rented at HMI by family members, and from their comments, I had no idea this particular person was so upset. My Staff and I strive to have every guest that stays with us leave happy and glad that they visited the Highland Manor Inn. The challenge is here for the entire Staff at HMI to do their job the best they can so returning and future guests will be glad they came to the Highland Manor Inn. Thanks, Sandy
Omaha
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay here. The owners really care about their property and their guests. They made us feel welcome from the time we walked in the door. Our room was comfortable, nicely furnished and and very clean. We were going to the Smoky Mountains early in the AM and would miss breakfast so the night before they offered to pack us up breakfast (muffins and danish) to take with us! How great is that and what service! This is our destination again if we are ever in Townsend.

Room Tip: We had an upper level room and a great view of the Smoky Mountains
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Highland Manor Inn & Conference Center? Share your experiences!