“Simple home - cooked goodness” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 34 Restaurants in Townsend
Cuisines: American
Harrisburg
“Simple home - cooked goodness”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014 via mobile

Ate here twice on a recent trip. Our cabin was in Sevierville but the drive was worth it. My husband had a chicken and dumplings special that gave me plate envy. I loved the chicken basket with the hand breaded chicken-- this was not your typical tasteless chain restaurant chicken fingers. The second visit I had the grouper which was fresh and delicious. My husband had a steak that was cooked perfectly. Really enjoyed the casual, friendly atmosphere. Definitely worth the visit when you're in the area.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Alabama
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014 via mobile

Love this place. Great food, friendly staff, and reasonably priced. Had the grouper sandwich Sunday and followed it up Thursday with the chopped steak. Liked the chopped steak better than the fish, but, the fish was bueno.

Visited August 2014
n'ville
“Are You Kidding, Homemade? YES!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

We are here several times a year, and for some unknown reason hadn't tried The Black Bear. Where to start? So the first thing you notice is the long list of homemade deserts, if that doesn't get your taste buds going what will? Now I don't know about y'all, but if a place isn't clean I'm not interested. All the restaurant makeovers with fancy decor and food won't impress me if it is dirty. Great second impression, clean. Service also great, Anna was informative and chatty, but not intrusive. Thank goodness, she didn't get on her knees at the table! Don't you hate that? Watch her though, she will make you want desert. ;-) We got the grouper sandwich on fresh homemade bread. A few minutes later out it came cooked to perfection, and a huge portion. I got the potato salad as a side, my husband got the fried okra. Both were homemade as well. This is my new favorite restaurant in the area, Maryville included. Can't wait to go back. Truly, The Black Bear is a do not miss.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Townsend, Tennessee
“Our "Go To" Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

As I've said before, this is about my favorite place to go in Townsend. There's a special every day of the week & the grouper sandwich is out of this world! (really) We have had every single thing on the menu; more than once and it's been fantastic 99.9% of the time. There's also a wide variety of home made desserts, some of which we've had, but are usually too full to even think of. The other .1% was recently when the salads were thrown sloppily on the plate. My friend had a chef's which is usually very pleasant to look at w/rolled up meat & cheese neatly placed aroundtheoutside. This time it was torn, chopped or chewed & thrown on thr top. Very un-appetizing to behold. Then our friend had a dinner salad that literally was lettuce and a cut in half tomatoe; no cheese, no croutons, no other veggies. Blah. Maybe it's the weather or the time of year but the new waitress here was also very put out by asking for re-fills or silverware or condiments. I'd not seen her before & the owners' daughters & long time servers are really awesome.....anyway...overall this is the best place in town for good food at reasonable prices.(ps: not going to put the POOR for service since it was just that one, just this time)

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Cave City, Kentucky
“Great Find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

On a day trip near Great Smokies NP we were looking for a place for lunch. Black Bear had a bunch of cars around and that's usually a good sign so we stopped. Lunch was great. My steak sandwich was terrific and husband's spaghetti was good too. Even tho they were busy the service was fast. The owner was there overseeing the service. Will go back next time I'm in the area..