“Nice place, rooms are a little too "quaint"” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Evins Mill

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Smithville
Evins Mill
You added Evins Mill to your Saves list
1535 Evins Mill Road, Smithville, TN 37166   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Smithville B&B and Inns
Atlanta, Georgia
“Nice place, rooms are a little too "quaint"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Overall, we had a nice stay here for the Calkfiller dinner a few weeks ago. The grounds are very nice, the food is excellent, and the service is good too. I loved the bacon at breakfast--might be the best bacon I've ever had.

My only complaint was that the rooms (for the price), leave a little to be desired. They smell funny (so much so that the Inn has put air fresheners in every room that make them smell a little like a truck stop bathroom). Also, the shower in our room did not drain well, so after about 1 minute in the shower, the tub portion had about an inch of standing water in it. Maybe that was why our shower was mildewy?

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Huntsville, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

My wife surprised me with a weekend at Evins Mill for our anniversary. I had heard good things about it from co-workers a couple of years back, but had not mentioned it. (She actually researched B&B's in TN and found it.) I could reiterate all the things in previous very-good to excellent reviews, but here are my observations: The setting is serene. The site of an earlier 1800's grist mill, it was rebuilt in the early 1900's when the owner thought he could take advantage of being near another small company started near Nashville....Martha White Flour! The Evins family was also instrumental in the start of another "small" company that originated nearby.....Cracker Barrel! The food is excellent. The chef is a native of the area, is well-trained, well-traveled, and glad to be "back home". They strive to use local (organic when available) produce and meats, and their conscientiousness shows. Everything we had to eat was above-average. The staff was outstanding from check-in to check-out. (You can't hide genuine concern for, and a desire to please, for a guest's stay!) The waterfall on the property is wonderful surprise and, even though a little bit of a challenge, is a must-see. Beautiful. Even the sounds of the water flowing over the dam and down the stream in front of the cabins add a really nice touch, especially if it's cool enough to open the windows. Center Hill Lake is nearby and is very clean and picturesque. The area is also a "micro-climate" for hemlock trees, usually found much further east and at higher altitudes (Smoky Mountains). All this is just for starters. I think if you are looking for relaxing, low-key, back-to-nature experience with great food, look no further. We will be back!

Room Tip: Rooms do not have television or internet. They are available in the main building. You can watch mov...
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

We spent a Saturday evening in one of the upper floor rooms. It was a very refreshing getaway. It's not far and a very easy drive. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. The location is beautiful - we would highly recommend the trail that leads to the falls. It's a bit steep in spots but the view when you reach the falls is fantastic. The room was very comfortable and the main lodge has a lot of nice spots to sit down and relax. Dinner and breakfast were excellent. Definitely the best food we've had in a while. Overall it's a very nice spot to get away and relax. We can't wait to go back and highly recommend it!

Room Tip: We stayed on the top floor but all the rooms seem to be very nice.
Worcester, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

My wife and I researched opportunities near Nashville, TN to celebrate our 40th anniversary. We decided to stay at the Inn at Evins Mill. What a great decision! We were more than pleased by the courteousness and attentiveness of all the staff. The food and service were spectacular. Gourmet coffee in the room, beverages and snacks available all day, and, especially, peace and quiet (with great views) are some of the amenities offered. Our room was simple and comfortable and was exactly what we were looking for. (The air conditioning was much appreciated during the heat wave that was in progress at the time). Great hiking trails and photo opportunities abound. We took two day trips and appreciated the location of the Inn for our purposes. We are planing to return around the holidays to take in the scenic and somewhat rustic beauty of the Inn. We enjoyed every minute and highly recommend the Inn at Evins Mill!

Room Tip: Ask to be close to the main building. It will save a lot of steps (if climbing steps is an issue).
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Shelbyville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

My husband and I celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary this past weekend and truly enjoyed our stay. There are 3 cabins with 4 separate accommodations (total of 12 rooms). Each one has privacy with its own balcony and rocking chairs overlooking the mill and creek. We loved listening to the water! The property is shady and peaceful. Dinner, breakfast, and a sack lunch, are included in the price. The dinner was excellent! Breakfast was also excellent! This is definitely a place to come and stay if you just want to enjoy a nice peaceful atmosphere. If you do not like sitting in a rocking chair or taking strolls along the walking paths, then this may not be the place for you. They do have a pool table, ping pong table, board games, and DVD's if you want to take part in some other activities. It was wonderful for us because we work all the time and needed a place where we could get away from the hustle and bustle of life. The inn is definitely geared towards couples or business trips.

Room Tip: The Lockhart rooms are the closest ones to the main lodge, but none of them are very far from the lo...
Nashville, TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

We spent one night at The Inn at Evins Mill, in one of the smaller rooms. It is a lovely spot. We loved the huge porch off the main house, and the mill was interesting also. We had dinner and breakfast at the Inn, which was also good. The atmosphere is very relaxing. One word of warning though - some of the rooms farther back from the main property are not easily accessible. I was carrying some heavy bags, and it got a little tiring.

Overall, it was a nice stay. It's a nice, secluded place, but still close to Nashville.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

The rooms are very simple, with bed(s), a desk, bathroom, small refrigerator, coffee maker, though lighting was minimal. The deck in each of my two rooms had 2 wooden rocking chairs. It was nice to sit on the patio in the morning and enjoy the sounds of the surrounding "forest" and creek. The rooms had vaulted ceilings (2nd floor of 2), with a small loft area with an extra bed (you couldn't stand in this loft). My room was originally given away to someone else by accident. I found this out when I called to confirm that I could still check-in as I would be arriving late. Tina was able to put me in another room for one night, necessitating a move for the second night. They were very apologetic and worked to make things right.

The food is amazing and really reasonably priced. Breakfast ($15) included chocolate chip muffins drizzled with chocolate sauce, a beautiful assortment of fruit, juice, coffee, 2 small pancakes, sausage, bacon, and 2 eggs any way you want them. I sat on the covered patio and enjoyed the sound of the adjacent creek. For dinner, they were able to add my father-in-law and brother-in-law (who live nearby) to my table (with advance notice). For $40pp, the meal included a small cup of soup, salad, main course (herb roasted chicken, garlic potatos au gratin, vegetables) and dessert (cheesecake with a berry sauce). You can bring in your own wine, or they have some from which to choose. The pace was very pleasant, giving enough time to enjoy each course and time with my family. Our group ranged in age from 18 to 93, and we all enjoyed the meal immensely. The server was very friendly and eager to make sure we had everything we needed.

There is a refrigerator in the lobby accessible to everyone. It was stocked with water, soft drinks, and juices. It was nice to be able to grab a water before hitting the road each day. I love they are flexible with the pricing - I originally reserved just the room, but added 1 breakfast and 1 dinner (for 3) and the price for each meal is all inclusive - no extra tipping required (though I gave a little extra).

The property is beautiful, though I didn't get to hike the trails to the waterfall. That's on my list for the next trip to Tennessee. It's a beautiful site for a small, intimate wedding, a weekend with your honey, or just a quiet time of reflection and relaxation. I would certainly stay there again!!

Room Tip: Request a cabin / room away from the main building if you are a light sleeper. The 2nd room I occupi...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to Evins Mill? Share your experiences!