“fabulous cabin w/hot tub on deck hanging off the side of the mountain” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Starr Crest Resort

and 1 more site!
You added Starr Crest Resort to your Saves list
Starr Crest Resort
3.0 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   1431 Upper Middle Creek Road, Sevierville, TN 37876   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Midlothian
“fabulous cabin w/hot tub on deck hanging off the side of the mountain”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

We rented through Outrageous Cabins using their last minute special for $89/nt. We rented An Unforgettable View and the cabin was amazing!!! The view was just okay as this cabin is one of the first ones you come to going up the mountain so you're not that high up, but it's also one of the very few cabins that stands by itself with no other cabin on either side. We gladly traded a less majestic view for the totally privacy (the view was still beautiful just not as breath-taking as some of the higher up cabins have). There are three cabins perched on the side of the mountain up above this cabin, but you would never know it from inside the cabin or out on either of the decks. (By the way, almost all of the other cabins have cabins above or below them or both, as well as cabins on either side.)

The hot tub on the second lever deck was awesome and faced the view of trees and other mountains in the distance. The king size bed in the upstairs loft area was also very comfortable. Be aware though that the entire upstairs area is open with no division between the pool table/air hockey table/video game console area and the bed. There is also a large heart shaped jacuzzi tub in the bathroom but we never used it since we had the four person hot tub just steps away. Downstairs the other bedroom and bathroom are private and separated from the living/dining area and kitchen. The kitchen is much smaller than it appears online and is immediately in front of you as you walk in the door, but it does have almost everything you need. One thing that was missing was a cutting board, but otherwise it is well equipped. There are two grills outside, and we had intended to cook out, but after looking at them, we decided against it. The one looked very old and dilapitated. I ended up cooking in the kitchen which was actually more enjoyable as the other grill was down by the parking area around the back side of the cabin. Speaking of parking, there is plenty of it with a very large pad area behind the cabin.

We did not have any problems using the TV or Internet. We brought a laptop but never even unpacked it as we had no problems accessing the internet from the cabin's computer. There is a DVD player that plays the radio outside on the deck (great when you are in the hot tub), but did have a hard time getting it to play inside the cabin. Eventually figured it out, but it was a little tricky.

If you book last minute at $89/night, this place is a steal! Even at the regular price, it's a good value. This cabin was immaculate and well taken care of. The guys in the rental office were very helpful, had everything ready, and had us on our way to our cabin in less than five minutes. This cabin is also only about five minutes from the "strip" in Pigeon Forge but also far enough away that it could feel non-existent if you're not interested in the touristy stuff. Also, about 20 minutes away, the Foxfire Zip Line place is AWESOME. The have 7 zips, great guides, and are extremely safety conscious (sp?).

Dollywood Cabins and Sugar Maple Cabins also have cabins in this resort, but Outrageous Cabins seemed to have the best pricing even before the $89/nt last minute special. Also, they do not have any hidden fees or surprises - what they quote you is what you are charged.

We would highly recommend Outrageous Cabins and can't wait to go back again. This trip was a romantic getaway, but we would love to come back with our kids too.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Delaware
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

First time in a cabin, so initially was blown away by the area and cabin itself. We stayed in the Dollywood Vacations "Honeymoon Suite", a one bedroom cabin. There is no view from the porch area unless you like looking at trees up close. We couldn't figure out at first why the TV and stereo didn't work until we realized a previous occupant took the batteries out of the remotes. We purchased batteries ourselves since it was after office hours. The stereo amp still never worked.
Discovered on night 2 that the heart shaped jacuzzi tub didn't work. Too late to call the front office about that.
Late in the night the sewage alarm went off. I hit the reset button to quiet the alarm, but only after an hour of trying to find out where the noise was coming from.
Kitchen was decent and furnished with dishware. They supply a coffee maker, but no complimentary coffee or other amenities. Bed was very comfortable. Bathroom OK, but did seem a bit small and not a counter/sink space.
Windows could have been cleaned better and had cobwebs hanging in the bedroom.
The manager apologized about the problems, but of course didn't offer any compensation.
Probably stay at another resort next time.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

We stayed 3 nights in this cabin. Outrageous seemed to have better prices then the others in the resort, so we went with them. Check in was a snap...in and out in 5 minutes. The parking area at the cabin is large enough to fit 5 cars even though there is a cabin next door. Speaking of that, the cabin is situated so that the decks are facing out. The other cabin can only see a portion of your two decks, so it felt fairly private. We were lucky and there was nobody in the cabin next door anyway!

The cabin itself was impressive. Very nice. Plush living room couch and chair, comfortable beds in both the bedroom and the game room upstairs. The game room has a pool table, foosball, and an electronic two-player gaming table with 20 or more of the old style games like Pacman, space invaders and such. It also contained 3 big flat screen TV's, game systems, surround sound for the CD player upstairs, etc. They thought of everything. They even had speakers outside over the hot tub!

They also have a computer, desk, and printer upstairs and although it had a wireless router in the cabin, I had trouble connecting with it. Some friends were able to connect with their laptops, so I don't know what the problem was. I reported it the second day and they said they would send someone to look, but I told them it was no big deal to me and they could take care of it after I left. They were very responsive and wanted to make me happy, and even offered to let me use their office computer if I needed to take care of something.

As others pointed out, the pictures on their web site make the cabin look bigger than it actually is. Don't get me wrong, we were very pleased but we thought it would be a little bigger. We also had a number of ladybugs taking up residence with us! You can't blame Outrageous for that...this is just the time they are looking to winter!

The upstairs rocks! We spent much of our time in the game room. If you go there, that's my sons high score on Galaga! Good luck trying to beat that! And there are great views from both decks.

We were very pleased with the cabin and the company. We will be back!

Room Tip: If are planning a trip to Starr Crest Resort and can come to the area first to choose your cabin, I...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Jacksonville, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

We stayed 5 nights in this cabin for the week after Xmas. The cabin itself was as described on the Dollywood Vacations website. Check in was easy and we had no issues. The house looked exactly like the pictures on the website, the view was beautiful. The house was very well equipped with everything you would need, we were able to make ourselves at home for the week!! The only issues we had worth mentioning was that the bathrooms were very tiny even for myself who is small and our young daughters. The kitchen was also very hard to work in, not much counter space and nowhere to put your groceries. The master bedroom is very hard to get in and out of because the bed is so large. Other then that everything was wonderful, it seemed clean, the Netflix was a great addition, views were great!! You can tell that the owners put alot of heart into the cabin, it was very nice!! We did not use the jacuzzi or the hot tub, with 5 small children we just did not have the time.

The only thing I have to add regarding Starr Crest Resort itself is that the grounds could be kept up a little better in our opinion. The drive up to the cabin we noticed alot of garbage and odd items laying around in the brush on the side of the roads within the resort and below our cabin in the trees, for the price we are paying for the cabins, Id expect a nicer resort setting and I dont think that is what the actual owners of the cabins would like to see around their homes, Starr Crest needs to be taking care of those issues better.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2011

We rented this cabin during the Thanksgiving holiday in 2011. This was the more expensive time to rent a cabin in the Pigeon Forge area. We had eight in our group, 4 adults and 4 kids. This was a lovely cabin with one of the better views in the Starr Crest Resort. The women really liked it and the kids (3 teens and one 8 year old) went nuts when they ran upstairs and saw the games. The cabin advertises two bedrooms but, in my opinion, it's really one private bedroom on the first floor and the second floor has one large open room that has all the games, sleeper sofa, and queen bed with dresser. This layout is not a big deal unless you want two private bedrooms with locking doors. If you like to wake to a sunrise then you may want to sleep in the bed upstairs. That room does have the best view because of the higher ceilings and windows. The cabin's back porches face the East so you do get the "Heavenly Sunrise" in the morning. It was a little intense because of all the glass on the back of the cabin. If you are a vampire then use the bedroom downstairs. It's private with a locking door and the windows have blinds. The bed on the second floor is open to the gameroom and the large back windows with no blinds or curtains. The morning sunrise will light you up...HeHe! The cabin advertises "sleeps 8" but we are glad we brought our queen Aerobed mattress. The two sofa sleepers have horrible mattresses. I've never been a fan of sofa sleepers but I have seen some with much better mattresses than these. The kids couldn't sleep on them. Three kids slept on the three sofas and one on our Aerobed. Note: there are two regular size sofas and one loveseat. The 8 year old got the loveseat. If you have people sleeping on the sofas plan on 1 person per sofa becuase it is more comfotable than using the pullout mattresses. You can literally feel the wires ...ouch! We placed our aerobed mattress between the billiards table and the air hockey table so your legs were under the billiards table. This worked great. The kitchen had nice appliances and everything was very clean!!!! There isn't a whole lot of counter space but this is a vacation cabin. The dining table was bar height and it seats six. We really enjoyed this table because you sit higher allowing you a better out the back....smart! The bedroom downstairs had a comfortable bed and it's own bath with a nice walk-in shower. There is a bathroom upstairs that has both a garden tub and shower. I felt this bathroom was a little odd because the tub had folding shutter doors that opened to the gameroom and back windows but when you are renting this cabin with a lot of people the tub is really not an option. I can see this being a great feature if you're a couple, alone! That bathroom is not private because those shutter doors, when closed, do not provide adequate privacy. I recommend the owner add another layer of privacy behind those shutters. Curtains would work. The porches were nice and we spent a lot of time out there enjoying the views. I would have liked more rockers on the porches. The grill is located out by the front steps which takes you away from the party when cooking. I think all the cabins had this setup. They obviously don't want people cooking on the back porches. The grill was not what I was hoping for. It was one of those things you see at a state park. It was small with no lid. Bring your own if you like to grill. A lot of the other cabins had better grills. The TV's in this cabin were adequate but outdated. There were no modern flat panel TV's in the cabin. The lighting in the cabin created a nice ambiance at nite. The owner did a nice job with the decor too. All the games were fun but Play Station 2 is a bit outdated. Most kids today have Play station 3 or X-Box and so our kids didn't bother with the playstation. The arcade game was a big hit for everybody and so was the billiards and air hockey. Overall, I thought we got a really nice cabin but I think it could be 5 stars with a few fixes. Dollywood staff was awesome too!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Shelby, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

Overall the cabin was great. But you know how it is, all it takes is one thing to ruin a vacation. I will start with the good.

THE GOOD
The cabin itself was very clean and stocked. Hot tub worked, the bathrooms were clean, bedding clean, etc. The view was wonderful and everyone (husband, kids, myself) was impressed. Pictures were not deceiving and the cabin and view was better than expected. Kids loved the air hockey and pool also

THE SO-SO
Price was not great, the view is what sold us

THE BAD
Internet. Before we went on vacation I verified two times that we would have working internet in our cabin. I was assured that we would. This is a MUST have for me because I am a grad student and had assignments that were due. Internet was down at home due to a storm so I was already behind. We get there and had weak signal, not an issue because we were told there was a computer in cabin so that was "plan b". Later when I tried to do my assignments, I kept losing signal. The cabin computer never did connect. Basically my professors thought I was lying to them and I was almost dropped from 2 classes and consequently put on probation by my school. They do not accept excuses.

I called to the main desk several times to no avail. I tried resetting the modem and all of the normal things one would do. It still did not work. Finally it was just time to go and I complained when we left. They said nothing and offered nothing. I sent in an email once we were home and heard nothing.

THE VERDICT
Because of the school experience I simply cannot go back there. If internet is not that big a deal it would have been a non-issue. As it was, we will be staying with another company next time.

Room Tip: Neighbors are close
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2011

This was our first time. Never seen a cleaner place. View was spectacular (but not all cabins have great views, but all nice). Everything in working order. We will definately stay with them from now on.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Starr Crest Resort? Share your experiences!