“Wyndham rooms make this place worthwhile.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Vacation Resorts Great Smokies Lodge

You added Wyndham Vacation Resorts Great Smokies Lodge to your Saves list
Wyndham Vacation Resorts Great Smokies Lodge
3.5 of 5 Condominium   |   1425 Old Knoxville Highway, Sevierville, TN 37876   |
Hotel deals
GreenLeadersGold level
Rineyville, Kentucky
“Wyndham rooms make this place worthwhile.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Stayed in a 2 bedroom presidential and it was great. The nicest Wyndham room I've seen or stayed in compared to 5 others. The Wyndham rooms are night and day compared to the Wilderness side and I would never stay on that side again (did last year). The only real problem with the resort is it's proximity to other local attractions. Just about everything is in Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg and the traffic is horrendous. It was an all day trip just to get to one of the closest trails to see a waterfall. Grocery store is close though and we saved several hundred dollars on a 4 day trip by cooking our own breakfast and lunch. Water Park is not over the top but it is great for kids under 13. As usual no real service from Wyndham to speak of good or bad, although I should note that checkin was the slowest I've experienced. I think most are satisfied to do a pre-checkin and head to the water park where as I would rather not have to wait until 4 in the afternoon to put my things in my room. All in all probably one of the better Wyndham's in the middle of the country.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Buffalo Grove, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We are finishing our final day of a 10 day stay here. The resort is called "Wilderness at the Smokies" and about a quarter of the total resort looks to be Wyndham condos. The rest is a hotel that shares the resort facilities. We got a 3 bedroom condo, and really enjoyed our time. We've stayed in condos in different locations each of the last four Summers, and this has been our favorite. There were minor glitches, like they had the wrong checkout date for us at first, but generally everything was terrific. The handle on one of the toilets broke, and they were super-responsive, with a maintenance person fixing it within 5 minutes of when we called. We came with 2 adults, 3 teens, and 2 kids, and it was definitely an amazing time for all of us.

It's confusing online what all is here, with how things are named and shown. It also wasn't clear online what you pay for and what is included, but a nice thing is that you can save money by staying here and not doing some of the other local attractions. I should have searched for "Widerness in the Smokies" instead of "Wyndham Great Smokies Lodge" to understand what was actually here. The waterpark and the other attractions at the resort are quite impressive, and there was more here than I expected. For those staying at the resort there are three types of activities - free, pass, and paid. We did everything that was here.

Free activities: Salamander springs kids outdoor water play area, indoor whirlpools, outdoor whirlpools, indoor pool, indoor body boarding ride, indoor kids water play area with big bucket, indoor small kids water play area, indoor kids climbing maze, 2 indoor tube water slides for 4-person rafts, 2 indoor tube water slides for single or double tubes, indoor wave pool, outdoor lazy river, outdoor wave pool, 4 outdoor tube racing slides, "Wild Vortex" outdoor steep looping tube slide.

Pass activities (can buy pass for day or for entire stay for unlimited use): indoor ropes course, indoor climbing wall, laser maze, indoor kids drop / hopping ride, indoor blacklight mini golf, outdoor mini golf, indoor mini bowling. We got this for the full 10 days we were here.

Pay activities:
Laser tag, arcade games, pottery shop

For the kids, their top "don't miss" activities were:
1) Laser tag

1) Laser tag
3) "Wild Vortex" steep outdoor water slide
4) Indoor body boarding ride
5) Indoor water slides for 4-person rafts

For my wife and I, our favorites were:
1) Lazy river
3) "Wild Vortex" steep outdoor water slide
4) Indoor water slides for 4-person rafts
5) Outdoor racing water slides

The key for us was getting to the activities early. The indoor attractions open at 8am, and there is nobody there at that time, so you can bowl and do the maze and climbing without a line. The indoor water park opens at 9, and we were able to get on the big water slides and body boarding without a line. The lines were never as bad or as long as a regular water park, though.

Would recommend and come back if we vacation here again.

Abbeville, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Just home from a few days at the Great Smokies Lodge. We had a very nice room in the building across the parking lot. It was a short walk to the waterpark and the building itself was much quieter than the main building. Staff was friendly and helpful. Having been here before with the high food/drink prices, we loaded up before we went to the waterpark or went early then left for meals. We didn't receive the high pressure sales treatment...but maybe we were just lucky. My one negative was not against the lodge, but against the smokers that tended to huddle just outside the doors or on their balconies to smoke. But it is what it is. If you are looking for a nice resort that has great waterpark and recreational activities, this is the place for you.

Room Tip: Rooms farther from the water park are quieter...
Pittsburgh, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

This resort is great for families. The waterpark kept my kids (age 16, 14 & 11) happy, active, and entertained for 3 days. They didn't want to leave. Our unit was clean with the usual supplies to start a vacation. Our only issue with supplies was there was only one garbage bag. Luckily I had brought some. The remote on the bedroom tv didn't work and the maintenance staff arrived quickly to replace them. All of the employees at the resort that we came in contact with were super friendly. The unit had plenty of storage space for food and enough drawers and closets for our clothing. I only gave a very good rating because the mattress in the fold out couch was awful. I knew it was going to be bad when I opened the couch up and the mattress stayed folded up. You could feel EVERY spring in the thing. My daughter ended up just sleeping on the regular couch. The resort is in a nice area. Not in the middle of everything, but close enough that it doesn't take too long to get anywhere. I had heard that traffic in the area was terrible, but we didn't experience much of that. Only on the Saturday that we arrived. We were in the building further away from the outdoor waterpark and that worked for me. I figure it was quieter, especially during the day/evening when the waterpark was open. Only other slight negative was that you can hear people walking in the unit above yours, but it really wasn't that bad. We'd definitely return to this resort.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

This place is awesome. Kids loved the water slides and lazy river. However I wouldn't eat here the food is overpriced. Other than that it's a fantastic place to stay with your family. It's in a great location away from a lot of traffic but it's close enough to get anywhere you want.

• Stayed July 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We treated two of our children their spouses and five grandchildren to four days at this resort. The resort is amazing and everyone had a great time. We are Wyndham gold owners and upon check out the staff still tried to sell us additional points however they were not pushy. The resort staff go out of their way to ensure everyone has a good experience. I have stayed at many Wyndham resorts and have never been disappointed in any of them. Wyndham will try to sell you timeshares you just need to be firm and say no you are not interested.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
peabody, ma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

We began our two week road trip from Boston here...We recently stayed here for 6 nights. After reading reviews I was very worried about being harassed by salespeople. However, we really didn't find that to be the case. We stayed in building 6 for the week of July 4th. First, the condos are amazing! Absolutely beautiful!

When we checked in salespeople were at the door very quickly, but I think they were a bit confused by us. I got a great rate via the teachers union discount with Wyndham but I must have shown up on paperwork as being an owner. I felt bad for the guys who seemed so stumped. They asked us to meet with them and we scheduled a time but didn't realize that the appointment was on July 4th...we cancelled and that was it. We were not bothered at all. Maybe because I was prepared to be harassed it was much better than expected.

Now to the resort....this is a kids dream! Waterparks galore. We really did have a blast. However, if you are a family that wants to sit by a pool and relax this is not for you. I had done a lot of research going in, so I had a feeling about that. The rooms were beautiful!

Also, we had one issue but it was handled so swiftly it was a nonissue. Before going here I had purchased a gift card via mail to cover the costs of the arcade and adventure park (it's how I saved for this trip) we went to the arcade to buy passes for the adventure park and arcade cards and they said it wouldn't work...we had to walk all the way to the front desk, seriously 1/4 mile, this place is huge, with two kids who were off the wall by this point. However, Sunshine (yes, that's her name.) at the front desk took care of it so quickly and even comped us adventure park tickets we didn't skip a beat.

Overall...I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Wyndham Vacation Resorts Great Smokies Lodge? Share your experiences!