“Fun for Families and Sports Teams” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Wilderness at the Smokies Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sevierville
Wilderness at the Smokies Resort
You added Wilderness at the Smokies Resort to your Saves list
1424 Old Knoxville Highway, Sevierville, TN 37876   |
Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Sevierville
Atlanta, Georgia
“Fun for Families and Sports Teams”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

I stayed at this resort (River Lodge) a few years ago and thought it was better than Great Wolf in North Carolina and Kalahari in Ohio. Recently, my daughter's AAU team stayed here during tournaments and the girls had a ball! My only recommendation would be to request a one bedroom deluxe on the 2nd or 3rd floor with a view of the outdoor water park, which was the room I had during my first visit. On this visit, I had a one bedroom deluxe on the 1st floor with a view of the parking lot (no view at all). The furniture was a bit worn in this room but I figure that's because the room is closer to the indoor waterpark so the room gets a little more wear and tear. Overall, this resort is great and I hope management continues to maintain it.

Room Tip: Request rooms on 2nd or 3rd floors with view of outdoor waterpark
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (509)
Abingdon, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

We took our nephews there ages 14 and 12 and we had a great time. The rooms are nice. My only complaint was that the bathroom was really small and the sink area was in the room instead of in the bathroom. The outdoor and indoor water parks were fun and offered different things to do. Our nephews also liked the rope course at the adventure park. We really liked that the water parks were for guests only so it wasn't over crowded and lines weren't long at all. Great place to stay!

Room Tip: Book a room at the lodge which is right there at the water parks. Some of the suites and cabins are...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

I purchased their largest room paying a large amount of money! There were roaches in the kitchen with a non closing refrigerator door. We used a chair to keep it closed. The sofa was falling apart so we used a blanket to cover it up so we will feel comfortable while seating on it. The floor was not vacuum. There were dirty pots and pans put away in the cabinets. After several calls to the front desk requesting a manager, no manager or supervisor came. They sent a maid to try and help. He went to another hotel room across the hall and took out clean pans and switch the nasty sofa cushions. As for the water park and the game room, the kids had fun. They enjoyed it. As for as the food buffet, it was not worth it. We only did the breakfast buffet and nothing was fresh and hot. We ask them to make us some fresh hot eggs. I was with a party of 10 people and the kids did not want to go back for dinner buffet. We left the property and went to a nice burger joint called The Diner. Kids loved it! Rootbeer floats and all! I will not be returning to the Wilderness. If you decide to go just look for the cheapest rates possible and take clorox wipes to disinfect the entire room.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

I wish I could give this more than five stars. We stayed in the River Lodge not Stone Hill. I would definitely recommend spending the extra money to stay in River lodge because it's attached to the indoor water park, the better outdoor water park, the painting shop and the Adventure Forest.
We bought one "All Stay Pass" for each family member to the Adventure Forest but that's not necessary. Just buy one pass for each of your kids and double swipe it when the adults want to play. That pass will give you unlimited rides on the rock wall, frog jumper ride, laser maze, black light golf and mini bowling but NOT laser tag. Laser Tag and the ticket games will cost extra.
The pools were very clean and lots of fun. One warning, bigger slides had a minimum height requirement of 42 inches. If you have a child that measures 41 inches then he/she may or may not be allowed to slide. Some of the life guards are more lenient than others and that will be very disappointing for your little one. That's really my only complaint, it would have been easier if all if the life guards had stuck to the 42 inch policy so my daughter would have known she couldn't use any of the larger slides.
The Thirsty Miner "kids eat free" buffet was much better than we had expected. The food quality was very good and the wait staff was friendly. Just know that it will cost around $20 per adult buffet, plus drinks and tax. The snack shack food located around the water park was about what you would expect for stadium food, decent but not healthy.
We stayed in the bunk bed room and loved it. Yes, the space was small but very clean and furnished with everything we needed (microwave and small fridge). I would recommend staying far away from the first floor nearest the indoor park and Adventure Forest. They close at 10:00 and the noise coming down that hall would be awful if you were trying to sleep.
Overall, this is my new favorite resort. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

Very fun, family friendly resort. No need to leave as everything is easily within walking distance for food, water parks, arcade and room. Staff is very friendly from the front desk to water lark guards.

• Stayed June 2014
Memphis, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

We had a wonderful time during our stay. Plenty to do for all ages. However I cannot give them a 5 rating from one incident we had. Housekeeping stole a candy bar from our room. Yes just a candy bar but for my husband it was important. He is a diabetic and needed it at 4am in the morning. That's when he noticed it missing. He then had to walk down the extremely long hall on level 2 at Stone Hill Lodge to get another one. He could have passed out, possibly died, from having low blood sugar while having to go get another candy bar in the middle of the night when the halls are empty. I'm glad we locked everything else in the safe or who knows what else they might have stolen. Other than that we really did have a wonderful time and made great memories.

Room Tip: At Stone Hill Lodge try to get a room on levels 4-6 for snack machine and elevator convenience. Wou...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
2,598 helpful votes 2,598 helpful votes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

After staying at Westgate (Wild Bear Falls) in Gatlinburg and visiting Big Splash Resort in Indiana, I was hesitant to stay at Wilderness. However, after getting a two-double room for less than $125 (including water parks), I changed my mind.

Resort Complex is huge. Our room was fine and had a view of the golf course. Didn't like it was at the end of a long long long hallway with no other entrance/exit. When you have to make two trips to load and unload your stuff, it's not fun. That wasn't an issue at Westgate, since we could park directly in front of our unit/condo.

However, the pools and water parks blow Big Splash and Westgate's Wild Bear Falls out of the water (pun intended). It rained the first night we were there and they had to shut down the three indoor water slides, but the pool, wave pool, surf rider and kids' playground remained open.

On the second day, we checked out and went to the Knoxville Zoo and came back to WIlderness after lunch and were allowed -- even encouraged -- to use the pool. Same-day usage after checkout was a HUGE upside. First time I've seen that.

Didn't like the information kiosks near check-in pushing the timeshare meetings. Had they only checked my room (double), they probably would have figured out that was the reason (financially) I was in that particular room and not a king suite or a condo.

That's where Westgate gained a point in my book, because they didn't push their timeshares (and the boring meetings that never last only 90 minutes anyway) at all.

However, including the (better) waterparks AND allowing for usage after same-day checkout were big.

For those worried about the cold water: The Water Dome is 84 degrees. I was sweating in line for the indoor slides. But the indoor wave pool and outdoor lazy river were much colder compared to the indoor slide water.

Room Tip: Try not to get one at the end of a hall because there is NOT an exit. If you want to load your stuff...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Wilderness at the Smokies Resort? Share your experiences!