“Great family resort” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Wilderness at the Smokies Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sevierville
Wilderness at the Smokies Resort
You added Wilderness at the Smokies Resort to your Saves list
1424 Old Knoxville Highway, Sevierville, TN 37876   |
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Sevierville
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Memphis
“Great family resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

This was my second trip to WATS but the first since adventure forest opened. It was such a great value we bought the all stay passes and it was such a good value! We stayed in a suite at Stone Hill Lodge which was a very nice room. The shuttle ran often although the conscience of staying in the hotel attached would have been nice.
The only problem we had was with housekeeping a couple of days we were there. We stayed 5 nights.

Stayed March 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (543)
Fairfield, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

This place may be ok in the summer when guest can swim outside. But way to many rooms for the miniature indoor water park. Management sent us in circles to find a restaurant, which Appearantly they didn't know wasn't open. Rooms may be ready by 4 like they promise, or may not. I wouldn't recommend this place to people i don't like. Sad sad sad day! Waste of money. #staysomewhereelse

Stayed March 2014
Chattanooga, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

I slept better in the hotel bed than I do at home! I love their beds, super comfy! Maybe it had to do a little bit because I was EXHAUSTED running my children around the water park and Adventure Forest the entire weekend. There's so much to do! You never have to leave for anything. If you're going for your kids, there's always plenty to do right inside the hotel. I don't see how anyone could be bored here! Love the fact that kids eat free at the buffet, but it is a little too overpriced for the adult buffet. Plus, there's a girl that works there that looks like Miley Cyrus and had my boyfriend and I totally amused haha

Asheville, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

So the best part of this place is the waterpark. It was really clean and the staff (lifeguards) were really great and friendly. If you want to ride the slides just remember to get to them you have to walk up a lot of stairs so pace yourself. We never waited too long, maybe at most 20 minutes, to ride any slide. The wave pool gets crowded and the waves are strong which makes it a lot of fun but when you get to the 3 foot area and less where the waves break they are really really strong so be prepared to get run over by people on tubes, or be the one running over those people. I did manage to scape my knees several times getting knocked around, hit several times in the head by peoples feet that were on floats, and I'm sure I caused a few injuries when I was in the tube. We did have a lot of fun regardless. There was one point where they had to close and clean the kids area because some kid decided to do a number two in there. (Great parenting folks.) It was shut down for almost an hour but we weren't using it anyway. It was good to see they took sterilization very seriously. The waterpark area inside and out was very clean.

The food situation at the Grizzly Grill in the waterpark was horrible. When we walked in the door there was a 40 minute wait for pizza and at least a dozen angry patrons who were waiting for their food. We decided it would be easier to just order some nachos since they are sitting ready in trays in the nacho warmer. Well we soon became the angry patrons because we waited for over 20 minutes for someone to walk over and get two trays of nachos out of the warmer and squirt cheese into them. This should take 1 minute... not 20. There seemed to be no organization in the kitchen. No one was telling the guests how long it may take to get their food and it really put a bad spin on the day and took the day from being happy to everyone being frustrated. There were people standing around unsure of what to do since orders were piling up. It seemed like they were working the tickets in order so they were waiting for things to be done before they moved along to look at the next ticket. One of the workers went and got a hamburger and hot dog bun and prepared them with condiments and then sat there waiting for the dogs and burger to be done by the chef. Meanwhile she could have been fixing parts of another meal, or maybe those nachos I ordered 20 minutes ago. Oh by the way the hot dogs I saw getting cooked were being boiled in a tall metal cup (about the size of an energy drink can, and parts of the dogs were sticking out of the can so they kept having to turn them to get the other end in the water. (Do yourself the favor and change quickly and drive down the road to get fast food. It's faster and cheaper. A pizza and 4 drink combo there was like $27).

On Saturday my wife walked by the Wyndham Properties desk at 10am just to ask if the outdoor waterpark would be open that day and the woman behind the desk told her it would not be open until Memorial Day weekend (that's in May). I had saw on the flyer in our check in packet that in may be open weather dependent. Well since the woman told us it was closed we never went to see later that day and guess what... it was open. We were tired and already dressed and leaving when we saw it was open but my daughter decided she wanted to change and go try one of the slides so we let her. The water was frigid as expected. However I like it cold and I would have enjoyed coming to the outside area since the inside was very hot and crowded. I just couldn't believe that anyone would be that far off on their dates that are working a front desk that represents your hotel.

The couch in our room, 3027, had the "leather" completely worn out in a lot of areas and looked like something you would not bother picking up at the Salvation Army or even for free on the curb that someone was giving away. The room itself was very narrow. We had a room with the murphy bed and pull out couch because we thought it would give us a little more room in the day when needed. Needless to say that was a bad choice as the murphy bed was just horribly uncomfortable but I'm the idiot for thinking it would be that bad. The bathroom had someone's hair on the toilet also. The "fireplace" in the room was electric but looked nice. I know a lot of the cost of the stay is for the waterpark costs but for $300 (after tax) a night on the weekend you would think the furniture would be in better shape and no hairs on the toilet.

Also, the elevator doors close way to fast. When we were checking out my daughter stepped out of the elevator and my wife's bag got turned around so I turned to make sure she was ok and in seconds the door closed with us in the elevator and our daughter outside. Even though we were hitting the button to reopen the door as it was closing it did not open and it did not stop on the 2nd floor which we hit before it started moving. It went all the way back to the 3rd floor where someone called for it. My wife had to take off running down the stairs to get down to our daughter before she freaked out. I've never been to any place where the doors close so fast. Everyone that was on or getting off elevators were talking about it.

Room Tip: Avoid the 1st floor! The hallway on the 1st floor is also the hallway that everyone going to the wat...
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

There's something for everyone. You never have to leave the resort and your kids will probably refuse to. The shuttle service is superb! My advice is buy a souvenir cup the very first time you order a drink because you will get your moneys worth. Take advantage of pre-check in at noon. Take care of the paperwork and start using all the resorts many amenities while you wait for your room. Ours was ready immediately so that was really nice. If you have a lot of things planned off the resort do yourself a favor and book an extra day just to enjoy the resort. No schedule, no plans just enjoy!

• Stayed March 2014
Cookeville, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

Me and my family have been coming to this resort sense it opened at least once a year some times two or three times a year and it seems each visit the quality of every aspect of the resort goes down more and more and the price goes up higher and higher . This visit I was put in a room that did have a kitchenette that i did not need . The beds were very sub standard one being couch hide a bed and the other being a lumpy murphy bed. I did book my room kind of last minute and had to pay near $300 for the night which is almost $100 more than I have ever paid in the past . They say kids eat free for each paying adult but it really seems the just double the price for a buffet that is par with any Shoney's Hot bar at $18.95 per adult . We snacked on a pizza yesterday that was just about tasty as the box it was put in and the quality that could be had any gas station. I write this at 8 a.m. in the morning after being woke up to what seemed liked marching band practice up above me four hours ago at 4 a.m. and in a room that the air conditioner does not work. So the only thing I can say good about this stay is that I got to spend time with my children.

Jackson, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

We come back the year after year! We love it here:) we always make memories and there is always something to do! Try the surfboading or the vortex! My kids still talk about how there my did the vortex! Everyone here is friendly! We will be back! Drinks are pricy but we expected that. You can even indoor tan by the huge indoor wave pool!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Wilderness at the Smokies Resort? Share your experiences!