“Nice place for kids, needs better food choices” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Wilderness at the Smokies Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sevierville
Wilderness at the Smokies Resort
1424 Old Knoxville Highway, Sevierville, TN 37876   |
Ranked #9 of 23 hotels in Sevierville
“Nice place for kids, needs better food choices”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Looking at the website I thought this place was going to be old and dusty. We were pleasantly surprised by how new everything looks, yet there is a nice "wilderness" feeling. The rooms are clean and nice looking.

Kids can do a lot of activities, even besides the water park, and when buying the stay-long card, it is very affordable. The water park was too crowded when we were there, not a free chair to be seen and the lonely barman was not able to serve drinks in an acceptable time. Not really his fault as there should just have been some help.

The reason why I would never go back to this place is because their food is just plain terrible. The dinner buffet is cold and the a la carte choice is poor and badly executed and tastes like Eastern German hospital food. A bottle of Cupcake red wine sells for a whopping 43$... but a glass is 6$... Someone must be good in math in the F&B department... That is maybe why they kept running out of things (in a 3 day stay they ran out of plastic forks, Blue Moon, condiments ...) Anyhow, I would be willing to pay more for the food and less for the wine if they would lift the standard of the food. The place in itself seems to set itself a pretty high standard, but the food just catapults it to the bottom of available places to spend our expendable income.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

1,346 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
Jonesborough, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I had a blast at the resort with my son, daughter in law and grand daughter..she had a blast and the water park was tons of fun for us! the hot tub was the best! the only complaint I have is the food is way way too expensive! the buffet for dinner was $18.99 PER PERSON! with 3 of us it was outrageous! the breakfast buffet was only $5 cheaper. the snack bars were also was too expensive. so overall I loved the resort and had a blast but they need to lower their food prices. I plan on going back in the summer where there are the other 2 parks to enjoy! great place for kids and a lot for them to do! oh and also 1 other little complaint..waiting to check in was soooo slow but the people were very nice!

Johnson City, TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

We are actual finishing up our last day of the stay right now. We came down for 2 nights. We are staying at Stone Hill Lodge. It is myself, my wife, and our 3 year old twins.

Check in took awhile. First was actual check in and the line was long and seemed to drag. The staff were very friendly though so no big deal. Also we were allowed to check in an hour early so that was a plus. After check in they said we had to go down to River Lodge to get a parking pass. This basically means we had to tell Wyndham resort reps that we did not want to do a time share tour over and over. I understand they are trying to sale timeshare ownership but when you pay this much a night you don't want to have to deal with that. Also everytime you go to the waterpark you have a timeshare rep at the entrance trying to get you to do a tour.

The room and grounds are nice. Room is very clean and has everything we need. Iron, ironing board, fridge, and microwave. The resort is nice. Waterpark and adventure forest is amazing and the kids love it. Waterpark is very crowded on weekends but still lots of fun. The restaurants are not very good on site so I would not recommend them especially since pigeon forge and sevierville have so many good dining options.

Overall we have enjoyed our stay and will definitely come back. I do think they have a little room for opportunity (timeshare hassle, restaurants, etc). The only other major drawback is it is pretty expensive but you do get to play in the waterpark with your stay so that makes up for it. If you are looking for a great place to take the family then this may be for you.

• Stayed March 2013
Mooresburg, Tennessee, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Concidering the price you would pay for having to book a room and pay for admission into a water park, wilderness has made that obsolite. My 6 year old twin and I have been there for the last two years and we loved it every year. This might just be Spring Break trip every year.

Cleveland, Tennessee, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Great rustic atmosphere, clean quiet room, beautiful view! LOVED the waterpark and the buffet. It rained the day we were there but we hardly noticed because we were so busy enjoying the waterpark, arcade, buffet and even rented a movie and bought popcorn at the gift shop. Even though the hotel was filled with families, it was quiet. We never waited more than 3 minutes for a shuttle from the Stone Lodge to River Lodge and all the staff members were very friendly. I would definately recommend this to anyone who likes to play in a family atmosphere!

Harlan, KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

This resort has activities on top of activities. Cold outside.....no matter. Most of the activities are indoors. There is an indoor water park with a huge wave pool, big slides, and two kiddie play areas. There are other activties indoors such as the rope course, laser tag, climbing wall, miniature golf and much more. There is more water fun outdoors for the spring/summer. The rates are expensive. However, it does include the indoor and outdoor water park. You can add the other activities for a reasonable fee. This place stays booked up, so book early!

Room Tip: If you're willing to pay a little extra, you can stay in the building that is connected to the i...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Johnson City, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I took a short 3 day trip for Spring Break with my kids, ages 11, 14 and 16 to Wilderness. We had a very enjoyable stay there. We stayed in the Stone Hill Lodge building, which requires a short shuttle ride over to the main building and water park. We never waited more than 5 minutes for the bus. I would always choose this building, as it saved us $60 per night. The room was clean and ready at noon, when we arrived. We had 2 queen beds and a sleeper sofa. Rooms have a small frig, microwave and coffee maker in them-therefore we did breakfast in the room each day, saving us some time. Beds and pillows were comfortable-even the pull out bed.Staff was very friendly and efficient.Water park was very fun. We only live less than 2 hours away, so it was a bonus that there were people there that we knew and my kids hung out with. When booking, be sure and check the "specials" tab on hotel website. I was able to get 2 free Adventure Forest passes with my stay, for my 2 younger kids--a $50 savings. The only thing I found lacking was a place to hang wet swimsuits-other than shower rod. Maybe a retractable clothesline in the tub would be a good suggestion. Also, bring your own hairdryer. The provided one has very low wattage and I had 2 teens with me-LOL. Will def go back-hopefully when my husband isn't traveling for business and can enjoy it with us.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Wilderness at the Smokies Resort? Share your experiences!