“"Worst hotel experience ever"” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Wilderness at the Smokies Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sevierville
Wilderness at the Smokies Resort
1424 Old Knoxville Highway, Sevierville, TN 37876   |
Ranked #10 of 22 hotels in Sevierville
“"Worst hotel experience ever"”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

do not choose the " Queen Murphy Room". the room was cramped with one queen bed that folds into the wall and a sofa springy bed. I requested a pack and play but got a broken one.
The housekeeping came in but did provide clean towels.
My only consolation was the fact that my Kids had a great time at the indoor water park.

Room Tip: do not choose the " Queen Murphy Room". the room was cramped with one queen bed that folds...

1,231 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
DOVER
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Seeing this is my 6th time to visit, I am going to review it very detailed.
First the check in: They are not very good at checking you in earlier than 3:30, they usually make you wait so if you are going at a busy time of the year don't go early expecting they will have a room for you, cause they wont. You always want to ask for a room on the first floor, close to the waterpark, facing the parking lot! This way you are close to everything. We always request and we always get one, until this year. We ended up checking in and they gave us a room on the fourth floor, when we asked about our room request they said they did not have one and they already pre assign the rooms at another location so no changes can be made. We were very disappointed and did not like the location of our room. We were told that when you make a room request you must call back in to see if they actually got it
WaterPark: go right at 9 when it opens and get you a great table, also carry a little cooler with a few drinks in it, coolers are not allowed but as long as you are not flashing them around, they never say anything. I brought a little cooler and then sat it inside our beach bag with snacks too.
Room Service: Room service is not that great, they always show up right when you are getting in from the park, so one night we told them we were in the room so they skipped us, which was fine, then we called down to see if they could come make our beds and take the garbage out, because we had no service for 3 days. They never showed up!!
One last thing, expect the hallways to be loud, every year it is always someones kids running up and up and down the hallway screaming at all times of the night.
Adventure Forest: It is awesome, the arcade is clean and big, my daughter loved it!! The golf was fun, glow in the dark!!

Bristol, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We had a great trip - we spent 4 nights there. The room was decent, clean, etc but the waterpark and adventure resort were outstanding.

The life guards at the resort were ever present and watchful. I felt my 10 year old was safe there.

The adventure forest was fun, too. The ropes course was easy for him and he had a blast on the video games. I recommend the all stay pass.

Room Tip: We asked for a room near the water park - the front desk was able to make sure that happened.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We stayed only one night at the resort but it was amazing.We had a wonderful time there. Our kids loved all kinds of water activities and water slides especially the wave pool and hot tub in this cold weather.Also had a great time at the arcade game area. Cant wait to visit this place again in summer.

Knoxville, tn
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We stayed at the Wilderness on December 22nd as part of our children's Christmas gift. We had gone 3 years prior when the indoor waterpark was the only attraction, and we weren't super impressed then. However, when we took our kids for Christmas, we saw that they have added a tremendous amount of attractions. The indoor adventure park is like Gatti Land on steroids. There are several large scale games and giant sized claw machines. There is a ropes course above the video game section, miniature bowling, black light miniature golf, and lazer tag. My oldest daughter is severely autistic, so we did not stand in line for the lazer tag, but my husband and younger daughter said that it was fun. The kids got to meet and have their picture made with Santa, and later that night he came to the waterpark to swim with the kids. The restaurants are plentiful, but overpriced. I suggest driving somewhere else to eat unless you are very tired. We were extremely lucky and got the room closest to the waterpark, so we literally walked around the corner from our room. Definitely read the map of the resorts before you book your room. For our family, it is not worth the hassle of driving over from the other "wing" of the hotel in order to take part in the amenities. One last thing, there is a gift shop that also sells custom chocolates and Starbucks drinks that is totally geared toward kids. It is great! We also looked in the "paint your own pottery" shop before leaving, and we will definitely attempt it the next visit.

Room Tip: The rooms are average to small in size, so if you can afford it, choose a bigger room. There are no...
Knoxville, TN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

The indoor waterpark is great in the winter for kids of all ages. The hotel is somewhat of a scam at times. From the minute you walk in they are trying to sell you a timeshare and you feel like you need a shower after talking with the "parking pass guy" who is really the timeshare salesman. I am not sure that a parking pass is really needed. The biggest frustration I have with the place is the way the rooms are treated as commodities. The price on the website varies daily. I reserved a room 2 days prior and the published price fell $30 by the time I checked in but I was locked into my previous amount with no way out (I called and tried). I would recommend making your reservations on the day of the visit since the place is hardly ever sold out except on major holidays. This could save you a bundle. Trust me when I tell you that you do not want to be there on a sold out day anyway - it is wall to wall bodies in the waterpark and the lines are soooo long! Also the in-house food is markedly overpriced and the "coupons" you are given at check-in are only for the facility and not very useful. Bring your own food as the rooms do have a fridge and microwave and some of the larger rooms even have a small kitchen area.

You can forget about late checkout as this is never allowed - you will be out by 11am. The reason for this is that for about $30 they will sell you some additional hours with an early checkin time. The rooms have to be empty and cleaned to sell the early check-in option to the next day's crowd.

Overall, the waterpark makes up for a lot and I will probably take my kids back at some point during the off season. I can't imagine ever staying there once my kids are grown and gone.

Room Tip: Get on their email list for specials and watch for sales. The main building rooms are much more con...
Easley, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

My family and I stayed at this resort for 3 days and 2 nights. We had an absolutely amazing time. The only problem we had was with someone charging drinks to our room, but it was handled in a timely manner. The indoor waterpark was a great way to get a way from the cold and rainy outdoors. We are looking forward to hopefully being able to come back during the summer to enjoy the outdoor waterpark as well!!

Room Tip: For a view of the mountains, get an even numbered room from the 4th floor up (if staying at Stone)
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Wilderness at the Smokies Resort? Share your experiences!