“Great family place!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Wilderness at the Smokies Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sevierville
Wilderness at the Smokies Resort
You added Wilderness at the Smokies Resort to your Saves list
1424 Old Knoxville Highway, Sevierville, TN 37876   |
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Sevierville
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
“Great family place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Just returned from our 4th visit. Great place to take kids, we have 3 boys & they love it!! Nice rooms & with the waterpark included, it is a good value. Food is a bit too pricey. Recommend having some food & snacks in your room. You will get better food if you leave the resort & go out to dinner. We will go back, hopefully in the summer when the outdoor park is open.

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (544)
Helenwood, Tennessee, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

My family visits Wilderness at least twice a year and we thoroughly enjoy it. The waterpark is huge and well maintained with lots of things for kids and adults to do. Rooms are very nice and clean. The only complaint is that the mattresses are so hard. I never sleep when we go and if it wasn't for my kids loving to go there I would consider another option.

Knoxville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

We had a nice time for the one night we were at the Wilderness, though I can't say it was perfect.

We had never been before, so we weren't sure what to expect. The room was okay. We got a deluxe murphy suite, which is basically a murphy bed (wall bed) and a sleeper sofa with a nice full kitchen and bathroom. The room was clean and nicely decorated. My husband and I slept on the murphy and our 6 year old slept on the sleeper. Although sleeping is not exactly what happened since the beds were not comfortable at all. The sleeper sofa was not made up with sheets, even though I had asked for that to be done, so I had to do that when we came in exhausted at 10pm from our water park day. In addition, the full size fitted sheet they had put on the queen size murphy bed was not fun to wrestle with all night. Every time I woke up the thing was all tangled around my feet.

The staff, overall, was friendly. We did encounter several who obviously did not enjoy their job there and didn't seem to care if we had a good time or not, but we the majority of the staff were nice.

The water park itself was fun. Only the inside part was open, which was fine and probably why we got a good deal. It wasn't too crowded, so we didn't have to wait to slide. Since there's only 9 rides open, and we're not the type of people who love riding over and over and over again, we got bored after awhile. They have some really cool-looking outdoor rides though. We also played 2 different putt-putts, bowled, and played arcade games after we ate lunch at Billy Jack's Snack Shack. Tasty, but overpriced.

Overall, our trip was fun to do one time. I don't see us paying money to go back and do this again. My daughter enjoyed it way more than my husband and I. It seems definitely overpriced for what you get.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the River Lodge near the indoor water park if you go in the fall/winter months. O...
Shelbyville, Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Traveling in a wheel chair is not always a good thing. However, at this place they made me feel special. They transported me back and forth to the waterpark, where I was able to get into the hot tub and the wave pool. I hope to go back in the summer and enjoy the lazy river. I love this place. The staff was fabulous and anything you needed was taken care of in a few minutes.

Room Tip: If you have younger children, I would stay in the rooms by the waterpark for easier going back and f...
Bristol, TN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I have taken my family to this resort at least once a year since it opened. We have always had a good experience there, until this past weekend. The fire alarm went off just before 3 am. After the fire truck showed up and it was discovered there was no fire, we were told to go back to our rooms. When we returned, the alarm was still blaring in the rooms. We all had to sit in the hall until just after 5 am before they were able to turn it off. We were told our floor was the only one that had the problem with turning the alarm off. I overslept and woke up at 9:30 am and ran down to the front desk to see if they would give us more time to check out because of the alarm. I was told bluntly that there were no special considerations being made because of the alarm and we would need to be out of the room by 11 as scheduled. I understand that they had no control of the alarm going off. But not being able to turn it off for over 2 hours is ridiculous, and not even being considerate to your guests enough to give them a little while longer to check out the next day is even worse. I wasn't looking for a refund or free meal like I heard some of the other guest say they would demand. I would have been happy with just an hour longer so that we wouldn't have to rush. After getting our things out of the room and to the car and getting my family settled in the water park, I paid them back by boycotting their overpriced restaurants and going to Hardee's and smuggling some biscuits in. You can take a back road and be there and back in 15 minutes.

As I was settling down to eat my biscuits, I received an email from them, encouraging me to give my opinion of my stay. I happily took the opportunity to tell them how disappointed I was that they would not even consider a little extra time to their guest inconvenienced by their alarm. I have yet to hear back.

Besides all of this, there are obvious signs of lack of maintenance at the water park. Rust stains are showing on the pipes, stairs, and handrails. Hair bands, gum, dead bugs, and tobacco spit are visible along the walls going up the stair to the waters slides. And there is some type of grey residue on the tiles of the hot tub. It is just starting to look nasty, compared to the clean, new place we used to love. I don't plan on returning any time soon unless I hear of some major changes being made.

Memphis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We booked the family suite as we were traveling with another family. We had sleeping room for 15 and a full kitchen. Our suites were clean, comfortable, and there was plenty of room. We loved the fireplace and the TV sizes in the rooms, The full size kitchen was great to cook meals in and relax for a bit. Our only down was that we were at the literally fartherest point away from the indoor water park, the plus to that is that we needed the exercise. We had a blast at the indoor water park, so much to do and I felt very comfortable letting the boys discover/walk around without me being right there. The area is clean, and the employees we encountererd at the towel exchange, snack bars, lifeguards, etc were friendly and polite. We did not eat at the restaurant nor really do anything other than give the boys time in the arcade and play in the water park. The slides are fabulous and there is plenty to do so that they were never bored. I would love to come and stay again in the summer when the outdoor water park is open. We had a blast and will definitely be back!!!!!!

Room Tip: We were at the furtherest point from the water slides. It was quiet, but it is a walk!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Macon, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

We visited the third week of September and had a terrific visit. The resort is beautiful and well-kept, the indoor water park was an absolute blast! The outdoor water park was closed due to the fall season as was the buffet restaurant. We ate dinner at The Thirsty Miner, it was good and probably a little overpriced, but it certainly beat driving into Sevierville after spending a day in the water park.

I would certainly stay here again without question. My only complaint is that they had they absolute worst hotel pillows I've ever encountered. Thin and lumpy - they were awful.

Room Tip: We stayed in the River Lodge and didn't have any issues with our room, other than the awful pill...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Wilderness at the Smokies Resort? Share your experiences!