“Always have a good time!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Wilderness at the Smokies Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sevierville
Wilderness at the Smokies Resort
You added Wilderness at the Smokies Resort to your Saves list
1424 Old Knoxville Highway, Sevierville, TN 37876   |
Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Sevierville
Atlanta, Georgia
“Always have a good time!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Unfortunately, this has just gotten too expensive. We stayed here the very first weekend they opened and thought it was great, as the price was only a little over others in this area of TN. We just felt like the outdoor area was better than any hotel pool we'd ever been. Our expectations were not high, so we were very pleased with the 2 slides, etc. Since they have built it all up it has just gotten too expensive! Sorry about that, because we still really like the old outdoor pool area. Wish they had a price just for that part of the resort. The room is fine & child friendly & we've never had any complaints with cleanliness or anything like that.

I was disappointed with the recent renovations with the arcade between the indoor & outdoor pool areas. it is freezing when you are wet & also considerably dangerous with the wet floors. It is not visually attractive either. We were not able to do the large family tube rides due to the conveyer belt not bringing up the rafts. That was too bad, but didn't ruin our trip. I think their wave pool is the best.

In order to afford this, I had to do the time share meeting. All is pleasant until you decline. I wish they wouldn't be like that. Doesn't make you want to join their family.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (509)
Sunnyvale, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

Grandma, Mom and 2 girls (8 and 6) stayed for 2 nights (Mon-Wed). We purchased the All-Stay pass for Mom and kids and we used it ALOT. The indoor waterpark was similar to Massanutten Resort in Virginia. 2 slides (with tubes), wave pool, splash playground, and wave rider. Outdoor had a lazy river and a large slide (52" up I think as both my girls were too short and one is 49"). We never made it to the other side. Indoor arcade area also has bowling (mini balls, but with the pop-up gutter guards), black-light putt putt (kids enjoyed), laser tag (played with 20 people at 10pm and just the 3 of us the next morning at 8am), climbing wall (ok), lazer maze (thumbs up) and a 2 level ropes course above the arcade area (mom got a little dizzy on the upper level, but girls did fine - it was our favorite activities and we spent 2 hrs the first time and 90min the second time). We did the indoor activities in the morning and there wasn't anyone around until 9/9:30, so at 8am we felt like we had the place to ourselves. It's really busy in the evenings until it closes at 11am. The water park opens at 9am and there are people right at 9am. It never felt over crowded and the most we ever waited for a water slide was 15 min (we did wait 30min for the wave rider). We did the dinner buffet one night and the breakfast buffet one morning. It was average (my kids don't eat much so it really wasn't worth it, but the convienence of walking down the hall was nice.) We stayed in the main lodge (I had made reservations for the other one, but Grandma was pretty firm on being in the main section and I'm glad we didn't stay in the other one as it was easy to go back to the room.) We were just passing through but we did go into Gatlinburg for dinner one night. We could have spent 3 days here before the kids would get "bored". I wouldn't use the resort as a "home base" for exploring the area as it's pricey. Best to stay here and use the facilities, then move on.

Williamsport, Indiana, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

This resort is such a let down. It all started with the check in, which was painful due to the 20 minutes of being pressured over the timeshare crap. I can't believe that they "force" people to do this just to get a parking pass. My family had a room at river lodge, and then grandparents were across the street at Stone, both rooms were a major letdown. Dirty, nasty....housekeeping is a joke. It was very clear that they don't care about doing a complete job, and hope you don't need to call them for anything since you will wait for about 30 minutes. They couldn't even figure out how to empty our overflowing trash. The rooms in River were so noisy, no one enforces quiet hours, it was well into the am and there was noise everywhere. Got to love the kids eat free program, since the adult meals are marked up and overpriced. Breakfast is so poor, and our server at breakfast obviously didn't care about anything. Dinner is ok, we finally had a decent server which was the only plus, but for the price this could be better. Adventure forest is a nice concept, but there are so many computer problems for the money I paid for the stay pass this was crazy, not to mention the over priced games that make chuck e cheese look cheap. The outdoor water park is ok at best. The indoor waterpark is nasty, the amount of up keep that needs to be done would take forever. There was a ton of rust, trash, missing paint, water coming down over the top of lamps, and the topper brown water at the water slides. The wave pool is dangerous with all the tubes, the area is too small for what is allowed. If you want a good waterpark and you live close go to French LIck Indiana and stay at Big Splash. For 1000.00 this was worse quality than any place I have ever stayed. We as a family like nice things, we cruise, go to Disney, travel a lot.....this was at the bottom of the barrel and we will never ever stay here again.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
Fountain Inn, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

My family and I stayed at the wilderness resort this past week. It was awesome and great family fun. The 3 waterparks were great and were very relaxing. Our room was very clean and comfortable. It is close to pigeon forge and gatlinburg. we arrived around 2pm and was able to check in. i did expect more waterslides though. the slides and pools were great and alot of fun. The shuttles were a big help in getting to the different parks. there are a couple of negative things like the walls in the rooms are very thin and can hear your neighbors,wish the hot tub would stay open late for the adults after hours, needs to have a few more adult activities. The food is a little pricey but not to bad. overall we really enjoyed our stay at the resort. i would recommend this to any family with kids, even teenagers would have a great time.

Room Tip: make sure to pay a little more money to get a room in the main building of the resort because it is...
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Hmmmm. Water park is poor at best. Fails greatly in comparison to Wisconsin Dells Water Park. The rooms were nice and clean but I didn't get a shower curtain with my room. Imagine that! When they finally delivered my curtain I had to hang it myself. Really not worth the money. I had lost something there as well and I left several messages and sent an email but no one gets me back! Stay elsewhere and save your money.

Room Tip: Stay at a cheaper hotel and get a pass to a waterpark elsewhere
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

All of my reviews are great because of the precision of my planning. I worked for a world class hotel brand so I expect nothing but the best and that's all my family and I receive... Devil in the Details. So worth the price. A little something for everyone!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Southwest Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

I, along with my husband, 6 year old son, 11 year old daughter, and husband’s parents, recently spent one night for our first visit to Wilderness at the Smokies. We arrived at about 1:30pm to a line backed up to the front door. We didn't wait very long, though, and the lady who helped us was very efficient and nice. She told us which entrance we should park at to be close to our room which wasn’t ready yet. At the parking pass/timeshare desk, the lady asked if we had heard of Wyndham. I told her we weren’t interested and she wasn’t pushy. Some of the other salespeople were trickier and led off with asking the unsuspecting customers if they would like a free cruise.
After we checked in, we ate subs at the Mountain Marketplace Deli. There were only a few tables to sit inside and it was hot outside but it was before 4pm & our rooms weren't ready yet. The prices for the subs weren't too bad but some other items were pricey: 20oz bottle of Pepsi- $3, ½ gallon of milk- $4, individual serving of cereal- $2.50, 6 Krispy Kreme doughnuts (unfortunately stale)- $8!!! We had dinner at the Thirsty Miner which was reasonably priced with the kids eating free.
We had a 2 bedroom premier suite and were texted the room numbers at about 3:15. The rooms were of average size & cleanliness but the furniture was sturdier/better quality than another resort we stayed at in the Pigeon Forge area. The hallways, waterparks, & most other areas seemed clean. DD & I were in the bathroom near the lobby about 4 times & 3 of those times, an employee was in there cleaning. However, we only went to the bathroom/changing room in the indoor waterpark once because it had an extremely overpowering smell of urine. Every employee we passed in the hallway said hi. The lifeguards seemed attentive & nice as well.
I liked the outdoor wave pool & lazy river more than the indoor park. My 6 year old son liked the indoor park’s play area the best. The indoor wave pool seemed like it was rougher and slammed you into other swimmers. The waterslides at the outdoor water park at the Stone Hill section on the hill looked interesting but we never made it there. We saw shuttle buses running regularly back & forth. Our kids' Polka Dot Pots painted banks turned out great & provided nice, useful souvenirs.
There were things I didn’t like. It was irritating to walk through the cold arcade to access the indoor & outdoor water parks. There was water all over the floor, too, with the potential to be slick. I would hate to have to change clothes in the smelly changing room/bathroom in the winter if I was staying in the Stone Hill section. There was an odd couple with inappropriate PDA in the hot tub. My in-laws didn’t get in the water. Also, there aren’t any restaurants that would provide a relaxing meal. I think the resort is missing the market for grown-ups who would like more activities that don’t involve just water. One of the pushy salespeople I recognized from the timeshare desk almost ran over me when he exited an elevator with his victims trailing behind. I guess it was impressive that even though he stepped so closed to me he had to pick his feet up to miss my feet, he never even paused in his assurances that “You are the only ones who matter. We want your vacation to be perfect for you.” Maybe he was trying to knock me down to prove his point. :o)
This place is pricey and I’m not sure if it is worth the price in the winter with just the indoor water park. I bet it gets really crowded & there isn't enough to do inside. My husband says he thinks it would be worth it, but he’s less picky than me. I’ve never been to Splash Country but I will probably take a prior poster’s advice next time & try Splash Country passes with a cheaper hotel. We had fun, though, and would probably return. Even my mother-in-law who didn’t get in the water was impressed with the hotel.

Room Tip: We had a great view of the outdoor water park.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Wilderness at the Smokies Resort? Share your experiences!