“Reservations were messed up and the Resort was NO help!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Wilderness at the Smokies Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sevierville
Wilderness at the Smokies Resort
You added Wilderness at the Smokies Resort to your Saves list
1424 Old Knoxville Highway, Sevierville, TN 37876   |
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Sevierville
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Roanoke, Virginia
“Reservations were messed up and the Resort was NO help!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

Made initial reservations here for a volleyball tournament over 2 months in advance, and had to change our date within a few days (had the wrong weekend). When the Wilderness Resort changed our reservation, they only made it for a single night, instead of the 2 nights we'd originally made. On top of that, our room was moved to a separate building from the rest of the team (what happened to our block of rooms?). We never received a follow up confirmation. Upon our arrival, we discovered the discrepancy, and that there were no rooms available for the following night. I would expect a resort of this nature to at least help to find other accommodations; instead, the receptionist handed me a phone book! We went ahead and checked in, with the hopes we could find another room elsewhere for the next night. Fortunately, we discovered that one of the coaches had an extra room held at the Hampton Inn (less than a mile away), so we decided to leave that night. After making 3 different calls to the front desk and customer service, the resort consented to refund our money. However, when I inquired about parking for the volleyball tournament, I was told that we would have to pay the $5 parking fee since we were no longer staying there. Pretty much the last straw for me, and told her since they screwed up our reservations, and were not even willing to help make things right, there would be no way I'd pay the parking fee. I was given a two day parking pass.
Although impressed with the resort itself, the staff was not helpful at all!! Never, ever again!! Horrible service!!
Unless you are there specifically for the water park (which we never even had time to go to), forget about this over priced, under staffed resort. The Hampton Inn is less than a mile away and has a FREE HOT breakfast buffet (eggs, sausage, gravy, waffles, cereals, pastries, coffee, juice, fruit, etc), that alone would cost $10+ at the Wilderness. The rooms are more quiet, and it costs considerably less. And the staff there was great!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (541)
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

Excellent fun at this waterpark resort, and we never left the property! My family has stayed twice and plan to make it our annual weekend getaway. No matter the time of year, you will find plenty to do, whether you are indoors or out. Good clean atmosphere, which I find very important in pool areas. The on site restaurants were great to help rev up your energy, and plenty to choose from. Rooms were above expectations as well as the friendly service. This place is well worth your money, you and your kids will love it!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

This was our 3rd stay here. My son absolutely loves this place. We accidently booked a room on the hill this time. (Stone I believe). It wasn't a big deal because it was warm weather. We normally stay down in the River lodge that joins the indoor pool. Our son runs us to all the water parks and keeps us busy. We had a couple of issues on this trip that we didn't have before. Our bed seemed to be broken or something. Mine and my husbands backs hurt really bad the next morning. By the second morning, we could hardly get out of the bed. They had also implemented some new towel system that was not working at all. You had towel cards to keep up with and they were charged to your room if you didn't return your towel. However, they had no system to count when you turned your cards in. Seemed like a new system they were trying, but should not have tried it on a holiday weekend. The only other issue we had was some little punks that kept coming by and knocking on the door. I wish we could have caught them and the hotel would have punished their parents. We couldn't ever catch them though. This is a great hotel for kids who love to swim and be in the water. We have a wonderful time every time we go. We will definately go back and look forward to the new things they are opening this spring. If your kids like the water, this is definately a place to stay!

Room Tip: Make sure and look at the room layout. If it is cold weather, you want to stay in the lodge that jo...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Columbus, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

Took a group os singles to this Resort for a conference. After arriving there were no one to great us. The lady at the counter would not give me our food vouchers because she was told that only our coordinator could sign for them. I explained that a the military use a company to plan our retreats and that the coordinator will not be coming. She still insisted until the sales person told her it was ok. Also after arriving, no one could tell us what meeting rooms we were suppose to be in. Also, our rooms were way in the back on the bottom floor, away from all civilization. This is just the beginning.
When it was time for dinner, we were led to a room with a buffet. I shared that we got vouchers to allow the attendees to order off of a menu. Mind you, the buffet contained chicken, ribs, mashed potatoes and gravy and 3 vegetables. Our per-diem was $34. They even make the children give up their vouchers for this buffet when kids were suppose to eat free.
The next day the hotel was teeming with people. 6am wakeup call from the bad kids running back and forth upstairs. Had to call 3 times and threaten to call the police before getting help. I will not bore you with anymore details.

DO NOT USE THIS "RESORT"

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Knoxville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

We went to the Wilderness because it was adjacent to the Sevier County Events center where a volleyball tournament was being held.

Overall, It was fine. But I would not say great.
- The room was clean, but poorly laid out.
- The kitchen, which was tiny, did not have any plates, utensils, pots, etc, so it was useless, other than the fridge.
- The bathroom vanity area is in the room, rather than in the bathroom, so not only was there no privacy, but if you needed to use it at night, the light disturbed everyone in the room.
- They close the indoor water park VERY early. It would have been nice to have late hours for 21 and up, or even later hours for everyone. Realistically you are there on vacation, so later hours even for children would make sense.
- The restaurants close very early too. While the location was sold out for the tournament, the restaurants in the tournament facility, run by the Wilderness, were closed at 2p on Sunday. The place was packed and tons of people wanted to eat. The snack bar was open, but due to the volume of people, they ran out of fries, etc.

There are many other items I would improve upon but the children had fun, so I do not feel it was a total loss.

Room Tip: Be sure you carefully look at the room floor plan, we were packed tightly in our room. It was suppos...
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

We stayed here during a volleyball tournament Jan 21-22. I wasn't sure what to expect after reading some of the previous reviews, but our stay was fantastic! While some of the complaints are valid (the bathrooms are small, the halls are verrrrrry long), most are not and I've provided details below. All in all I would not hesitate to come back here again. While we had a great time during the winter, the summer must be even more fun with the lazy river and outdoor waterparks. Our stay here made us put the Wilderness on our summer to-do list.

Noise: In addition to the number of regular guests, the hotel was filled with hundreds of girls and their siblings for a volleyball tournament. We never experienced any kids running in the hallway, slamming of doors, noise overhead, etc. In fact I was surprised at how quiet the hotel was.

Waterpark: The waterpark is a little small compared to ones that you would experience at the Great Wolf Lodge, but there is plenty to do and more than enough to keep kids, pre-teens, and teens occupied for more than a day. The lines were manageable, towels were plenty, and the waterpark was very clean.

Check-in: After reading the previous reviews regarding check-in, I was really discouraged when we arrived and found about 20 people in line to check-in ahead of us. The line moved very quickly though and I noticed that the front desk was completely staffed. The agents were very friendly and cookies were served while you were waiting in line. Nothing to complain about.

Rooms: We had a standard room with 2 doubles for 2 adults and 2 kids. It was a little on the small side and I wouldn't recommend that size room if you are staying for more than a night or two. But overall it was nice and included a safe, fridge, cooktop, sofa, and giant window. There is no cookware or dishes.

Restaurants: We ate in the Thirsty Miner several times (see review) and got snacks from the little bakery near the gift shop. Both were nice with good customer service.

Parking: Plenty of space available and free.

Other: We had a free shuttle that took us to the nearby events center for a tournament. We waited no more than 5 mins each time we boarded the shuttle. The drivers were so friendly. This shuttle service was excellent and really made transportation to the events center a breeze.

Room Tip: Choose one near the elevators
Lynchburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

My family at I stayed at the Wilderness for a volleyball tournament held on site. The hotel was overall very nice and a great venue for a girls volleyball tournament. The staff was very friendly even in the face of hundreds of players and their families checking in at the same time. The room was clean and more spacious than I had anticipated. There were two flat screen TVs in the room, refrigerator, microwave, and a small bar sink. The rooms also come with safes to lock up the valuables. The bathroom was a little small for the number of people that could have occupied the room. I would have to say the bed was a little uncomfortable due to the firmness of the mattress. I echo another reviewer in that the pillows were next to useless. Bring your own or ask for more from guest services. Our stay was very quiet even will all the players and their families. For an indoor water park, it was a lot of fun. It would probably keep older kids interested for a day and younger kids might be interested for two days but because it was indoors, there wasn't a lot to it. I did not eat at any of the restaurants so can't comment about the food offered on site. The fitness facilities were very light, a couple of treadmills and elipticals. I would have expected more from a place that was designed for people to come and stay several days at a time. There was supposed to be wi-fi available but the signal in my room was so weak it was useless. The facility was designed to keep people on site and the size was such that it is a little bit of a drive to get to some of the other tourist attractions and restaurants but not so much that its a burden. Overall I would recommend it more for families with small children and younger teens than families with older teens. And it was a great venue for a volleyball tournament.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Been to Wilderness at the Smokies Resort? Share your experiences!