“overpriced..overrated..love the indoor waterpark” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Wilderness at the Smokies Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sevierville
Wilderness at the Smokies Resort
1424 Old Knoxville Highway, Sevierville, TN 37876   |
Ranked #9 of 23 hotels in Sevierville
Atlanta, Georgia
“overpriced..overrated..love the indoor waterpark”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2011

this is my second time staying at the wilderness..dont get me wrong its a nice hotel, but the rates are very expensive for off-season travel..every year me and the family go up to Pigeon Forge-Gatlinburg during the holiday weekend..its a short drive up from Atlanta ant the mountains during winter time is wonderful...the only reason we stay here is for the indoor water park...the water park is nice, but you have to stay at the hotel to get in... all of the staff at the hotel are great..but at the price...they should be...they are poorly constructed as others have reviewed you can hear the people walking in the halls on your floor and above you just as if your door was open..there is another water park (wild bear falls) and you can pay and go to it without staying there..but its simply not worth it..the water park is great but at about 300 a night for 4 adults and 2 kids is very high off season..

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family

1,369 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
Knoxville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2011

Our check-in staff was GREAT! Helpful and accomodating. The concierge/parking pass person--was really a sales person in disquise. The last time I checked a concierge should just help you score tickets at a reasonable price to attractions in the area--not bribe you with free tickets in exchange for coming to a two hour sales meeting on your vacation.

The room was clean. You have to put your room key in the light switch to have maximum lights and heating and cooling. I give the hotel 5 stars for saving the planet. My kids complained at the size of the small bathroom...but they liked the beds.

We decided to eat mostly in the room after smelling the "cafeteria" smell when we walked by the restaurant. We did eat a pizza from the eatery next to the pool--it was edible. (I tried to ignore the dirty aprons on the staff and the general sense that nothing was urgent enough to do quickly.)

The waterpark was not full--that being said I could not find a seat. Everyone comes in, parks their towel on a chair, and goes for a swim. Towels are everywhere! After being upset for a day with nowhere to sit--I sent a child to save us a spot for today at opening.

After checkout you can stay the rest of the day to swim. It is a perk--but the caveat is you must use the communal "locker/shower/restroom." By 2:00 there was no paper in the bathroom and it was filthy. The locker room has no private changing rooms--so prepare yourself to change in the toilet stall. The good news is you can stay until 11:00 at night if your little munchkins are up for it.

There seems to be little effective training at this hotel--noone could answer a simple question for me--only front desk people--and that is a long walk.

The water tasted a little salty--so I'm guessing their purification system is not all chlorine. The sun-dome does let the sun in--you can get a "tan" in the winter. The lifeguards were friendly. My kids all had a good time.

Augusta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

We stayed at this resort for a cheer competition. The check in people were polite & the room was ready. However, it was dusty & not well-maintained. The indoor waterpark itself was fun but very busy & not clean enough! The staff left dirty towels lying on seats & on the ground for hours whilst we were there & did not provide clean ones later in the evening. Although the waterpark is 'included' in the room fee, there is still a $10 per day resort fee added to your bill at the end of the stay. When I questioned this it is apparently for "towels , the 'free' shuttle bus etc"??? The food is of very poor quality & extremely over-priced!!! The service & manner of staff in the dining area was very poor, impolite & inefficient.
If we have to visit this area again for competition we would NEVER stay at this resort.

Alpharetta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2011

We just left the Wilderness earlier today (3-10-2011). My kids were in the waterpark from check-in to check-out! It was an awesome trip. The rooms were very clean - the room looked new - very well maintained. The waterpark was not very busy - there was a constant flow of visitors, but never crowded. There were life guards visible at all times - 3 to 4 in the wavepool area. We had snacks at the pool from a near-by restaurant. You are not allowed to bring outside food into the facility. Once you purchase a soda or tea - you are allowed free refills. The food was average priced - the kids enjoyed the items offered. You will definitely need a GPS to get around - there is lots of construction going on in the area outside of the resort - so good luck with venturing out. Once you're on the main strip (Parkway) there are tons of restaurants to choose from. We took a short drive to the aquarium - a very nice ride and beautiful views in Gatlinburg. We were given a free adult pass to the aquarium at check-in. TIP - purchase your aquarium tickets online to save a few bucks. We had an awesome time - my kids are 8 and 13 - they are ready to go again.

Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

This hotel was very nice. It is not nearly the high end facility as the other Wilderness property in the Wisconsin Dells, but stil nice. It was sort of pricey for what you received because in the winter time all of the outdoor area waterpark is closed. I have a 17 year old son and he enjoyed the waterpark immensely. The part that I liked the best was that the lines in the waterpark were not very long. We did not wait more than 15 minutes maximum for any slide. If we went early in the morning the wait was much less.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Williamson, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2011

The hotel is large, they do have elevators, but you have to walk a long way to your room. The rooms were awesome and the beds too. There are lots of kids because of the waterpark, but it was ok. There was a Starbucks inside too.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2011 via mobile

I was so worried after reading the reviews! I almost changed our reservations! So glad I didn't! Our room is very nice and clean. We are staying in the riverlodge in a room w 2 queen beds and a sleeper sofa. I was very surprised at how nice the room is. It is small but perfect for 3. They only do limited housekeeping unless you pay more but they explained that to us at check-in. The check-in people were great and service has been very good. The food is not that good so far. My 3 year old loves the water park and there is a great toddler area! And my hubby loves the slides. And very safe. Lots of attentive lifeguards. March is a perfect time to come, I think! Not at all crowded and good rates! We're having a great stay!

• Stayed March 2011

Been to Wilderness at the Smokies Resort? Share your experiences!