“Am sure it was nice once but now it's just sad and run down” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Donoho Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Red Boiling Springs
The Donoho Hotel
You added The Donoho Hotel to your Saves list
500 Main St, Red Boiling Springs, TN 37150   |
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
“Am sure it was nice once but now it's just sad and run down”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We had a booking for the Donoho Hotel for just one night (thankfully) as we needed a place to stay in that area. My Husband found it in a travel book and it looked nice enough, I had my doubts after reading reviews but gave in to him.
As soon as we stepped into the lobby I knew I did not want to stay, then we were given a set of keys so we could go look at the room. I'm not sure what really made the biggest impression, the dodgy brown shag carpet, the thick layer of dust and scattering of cobwebs or maybe the spiders in the bathtub! The sheets were threadbare and dingy one of the legs of the bed was sinking deep Into the carpet. Thankfully as we were there during a heatwave the air conditioner worked, only just. When I originally made the booking I was asked if we wanted dinner and breakfast of which I said yes please as I didn't know if anything else would be available in the area. These meals were not mentioned when we checked in, probably for the best.
On the upside the kids adored playing in the stream and catching fire flies and the massive porch with plenty of comfy rocking chairs is perfect for relaxing with a glass of wine.
Although at check in we said we would be checking out at 8:30 we were all packed and ready to leave at 6:30!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The Donoho Hotel in Red Boiling Springs, TN is like stepping back in time. A place to relax and enjoy good food and peace and quiet. Also, the water was known for years to have healing qualities. Entertainment at different times in the theater. Try going in the spring.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
New Port Richey, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Great historic hotel but very much run down. We visited family staying here and they had a horrible time checking in (no one there), their room (number 1) had a sagging ceiling tile over their bed, room/place was smelly (cat urine), no breakfast for them the next morning! There ARE cute cats all around the property and the Salt Lick Creek is pretty and it's a lovely area. We attended a wedding dinner at the Donaho hall. The ice machine was leaking and we had to mop the floor as well as rid the kitchen of wasps before the caterers arrived. No soap in the womens bathroom! It appears not much money being put into the care of this property.

Room Tip: very basic rooms, not well kept, not smelling that great. if you must stay here I'd guess stayi...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Florence, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

We did not get to stay here. But, our group ate lunch here and I have never had better food.

It was served family style. The chicken was delicious and there was nothing on the table that was not first rate. I have certainly paid more for much less.

A really great dining experience.

Room Tip: All I can say is how good the food is - we did not sleep here.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Carthage, Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

I found this review online looking for photos of the Donoho because a couple of years ago I took some photos of the B&B and have misplaced them.
My husband and I have visiting all three Red Boiling B&Bs as we enjoy these such establishments and on occassion need a mini break as I am a busy photographer and hair dresser among a ton of other things. It's so nice to take off on a short trip and visit these places and get a break from the rat race!
I am not sure what the person in 2010 is talking about and feel that they completely exaggerated the details of their stay. It angers me slightly because someone like this is probably one of those people who take advantage of kind business owners like these to try to get free stays and tactics like these work unfortunately businesses become prey to the low lifes that pull these stunts.
I absolutely adore the Donoho hotel as well as the Thomas House and the Amoure. I was introduced to these 3 years ago by an elderly friend who first got me into B&Bing!! The Donoho is a great place for us to get away to and I found it clean (and I'm picky). I found the staff friendly, I found the grounds beautiful and the food is always amazingly southern just like I like it!
I suggest anyone looking to stay at a B&B try all three hotels. The thomas house was great! We slept comfortably but honestly the amount of food they serve at their meals kind of sets us off. We don't like that. No one should waste that much food. But it's really good! The Amoure is also wonderful but we have a hard time sleeping there because the beds aren't as comfortable as the Thomas House. The Donoho has great food and great beds but my only issue was having to go out on the outside to get entry to our room, even though it's set up like most hotels so it's realistic to think it should be this way, I'm accustomed to B&B rooms being accessed from the inside. My husband however, LOVED that aspect because he loved how it felt separated from everyone else and he is big on privacy. I'm more the social butterfly :)
Please don't listen to that crap in the prior review, that is hog wash. I have been staying at B&B's for many years all over Tn and I wouldn't have kept going back to this place if it were anything like this person made it out to be. Thank you Angels Photography, Carthage TN

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Wilmington, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2010

I grew up hearing stories about how lumber from my grandparents' land was used for this hotel, so when I went back to do some genealogical research, I had to stay there.

The Donoho Hotel was built around 1914. It is one of only three left from when Red Boiling Springs was a major tourist attraction in the South. People came for the "healing waters". The hotel went into a state of disrepair but has slowly been restored by local owners in recent years.

The rooms aren't fancy, just basic rooms. If you want something really nice, your best bet would be the Thomas House. But there is something neat about staying at a huge old hotel and imagining it bulging with vacationers in the early 1900s. I also enjoyed getting up at dawn and watching the hotel cats outside. You can sit out on the huge porch and rock or walk over the grounds and along the creek enjoy the peace and quiet.

There isn't much in the way of restaurants in Red Boiling Springs right now (2010), so eat dinner before you come unless you have reservations to eat here. There is a good place for dinner (Mexican) and breakfast in Lafayette -- LaTia.

• Stayed June 2010
Knoxville, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2010

Do not waste your time or money visiting this establishment. This place is a dump. Cockroaches in the rooms. Sewer bugs in the showers. The Hotel itself is not maintained and is falling down. Not to mention they bait and hook you with one price when you make a reservation, and another much higher price when you actually get there. And as far as the proffesional landscaper they mention on their site keeping the grounds up...FIRE HIM! With a hotel like this it's easy to see why this area never became the tourist attraction it was hoped it would one day become....pitiful!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
jsimshauser, Manager at The Donoho Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2010
Dear A Hugh Disappointment,

I read your review on trip advisor and was rather scocked by all comments. First of all I would like to inform you that the hotel is under new management and the majority of the staff memebers were let go. As I look back into the regestry, Im sorry I don't see any reservation for this night. If you did indeed stay at The Donoho Hotel and this was your experance we would be more than happy for you to contact us to discuss your concerns and the issuess you had with management of the Donoho.

Been to The Donoho Hotel? Share your experiences!