“Great place to stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #52 of 94 Hotels in Pigeon Forge
Lake Placid, New York
“Great place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

I really enjoyed my stay here. THe rooms were clean and big and bright. The staff were friendly and easy to work with for the most part. Our only issue was our room was not cleaned until late in the day. We stayed for a week. SO asking for towels from the housekeepers was difficult because none of them spoke english. But the front desk staff did and were very helpful. They also pointed us out ot local events of interest. The pool was incredibly warm. The hot tub was way hot, but very nice. Totally plan on staying again...

Room Tip: THe backside of hotel has great views of the ferris wheel....
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

JamesManorStaff, Owner at James Manor, responded to this review, February 22, 2014
We apologize for the late cleaning of your room as well as the housekeepers not being able to speak English. The lateness of cleaning can be due to the occupancy and the number of housekeepers available. Yes - the housekeepers are not well versed in English and we do apologize for that.

We look forward to your next visit to our hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Fitzgerald, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

Had a great stay at James manor,staff was very nice and helpful, the facility was very clean. lots to do, loved the inside heated pool and hot tub. the game room was cool to. the breakfast was great. loved the location in walking distance to so many things.

• Stayed December 2013
Thank you for your comments. We appreciate them very much and are glad that you liked our hotel. We look forward to your next visit to our hotel.
Morrison, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

This hotel is close to all attractions. It was very clean and the staff was exceptionally nice and helpful. It is an older hotel that needs some remodeling, but nothing that would keep us from staying there again.

Room Tip: We were on the fourth floor and it was very quiet. The room was very large and the bedding was wond...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
LaGrange, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

What a deplorable and run down place. It was absolutely filthy and disgusting. We stayed here because it was booked for us by Bluegreen Resorts. What a mistake.

The lobby appears nice, the elevators fine, they have attempted to remove the graffiti from ignorant guests which I was proud of them for. Upon getting off the elevator onto the 3rd floor I immediately noticed that the wall sign was broken, but didn't want to hold that against them. The hallway to our room made me nervous as it smelled like a truck stop bathroom, obviously over fragranced. When we got to our room the keys wouldn't work, so I went back down to the front desk where I was informed they were keyed properly, but I may have to pull the door toward me and lift up in order for the keys to work. There was never any mention of maintenance fixing this issue. Which I would assume should be a priority when a guest can't get into their room.

Once we knew how to use these shotty doors, we were greeted with the stench of mildew upon opening our door. Since I am not one to complain we decided to make the best of it.

The floors had a ring of dirt around the room where it is obviously too much work to use the wand to ever clean near the base boards. Our floors hadn't been swept before we checked in since we found the previous guest's key chain and some children's toys on the floor. I began cleaning every surface that I was afraid my daughter would touch, and it took me quite a while. Once I thought everything was fine it was bath time. The cleaning started again. I had to rinse dirt down the drain in the tub, and the outside wall of the tub was absolutely covered with who knows what kind of filth splatters (since it sits about 4 inches from the stool). I still feel bad that I had to make my daughter sit in that tub and sleep in such a retched place.

After our Bluegreen presentation we mentioned to the staff what a horrid place we had been put up in. I filled out a detailed complaint form, hoping we could be relocated from there, but instead they called James Manor and we were told the hotel was working to address our list of complaints but if we had any additional issues we needed to contact the hotel staff directly. The door was somewhat fixed when we got back but that was it. We no longer had to pull and lift the door to get in but instead we had to try 3-4 times before it would open.

The following day we got back around 3 pm to find our room had not yet been "cleaned," and I use that term lightly when talking about James Manor. Instead all of our linens had been removed and practically ever door down the hall to our room was wide open. So, apparently they had a number of guests check out that day and would have been busy, but I don't understand whey they wouldn't have cleaned our room and then worked on the rest. Oh, yes I do, they are more concerned with getting more sorry suckers through their doors than keeping happy guests.

Needless to say, I was then responsible for going to the front desk to get our necessary linens and since the trash was overflowing I needed additional trash bags to get us through the rest of our stay.

If you are looking for a central location, James Manor is your place. If you are looking for a filthy pit that no matter the discounted rate makes your stomach turn, James Manor is your place. I will never recommend this to anyone going to vacation in the Pigeon Forge TN area.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor overlooking Parkway. I'm pretty sure the mildew stench was from the...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
We are deeply concerned with your comments and are surprised that if you found so many things that you did not like, you never said anything to the front desk staff. We had other guests who stayed on the 3rd floor and they have not complained about anything at all - smell and mould etc. In any case, we apologize for any inconvenience caused to you.
Christiansburg, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

We stayed at James Manor overnight while shopping in Pigeon Forge. What a nice place to stay, it is very clean, the employees are very friendly and helpful. Would definitely stay here again while visiting the area. I would recommend going out for breakfast, we stopped by the breakfast and grabbed a couple of doughnuts, but went out for breakfast a little later.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
JamesManorStaff, Owner at James Manor, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Thanks for your comments. We appreciate them and look forward to your future stays with us.
Chatsworth, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

I recently booked an over night stay on Orbitz.com with James Manor. When my daughter and I arrived into town, it was still early in the day, but I decided to take a chance and see if there was a room ready. When I walked in I was simply told they were 100% booked and my room wasn't guaranteed until 4p.m. I asked if there was any chance it could be sooner, and she snapped back that she didn't know, and the guests had until 11a.m. to check out. I said ok, could someone maybe call when something was ready? She handed me a card and said I could call later and check. After eating breakfast and driving around for an hour, I pulled over and called the number. The same girl answered. I explained that I'd been in there earlier and was wondering by chance if anyone had checked out. I heard a long sigh on the other end and she said "like I said before, they have until 11a.m. to check out and your room isn't guaranteed until 4". I asked her if it was some inconvenience to her that I was simply trying to find out when a room I had already paid for would be available, but she had been very rude to me both times I had talked to her. I then said I would actually like to speak to the manager, and she said the manager wouldn't be in until Monday (this was Saturday) and they would tell me the same thing. I admit to losing my temper and calling her a name I shouldn't have. She promptly hung up on me, so of course I decided I was cancelling my reservation with them. I called back to do just that, and she told me that I couldn't cancel my reservation because I had already prepaid, and then she began screaming at me (while still standing at the front, I'm sure) and telling me she was going to call her manager and tell them I was cussing her....then hung up again. I called Orbitz customer service and cancelled my reservation within about a minute, so that proves that she also lied. I never got past the front desk, so I can't comment on the rooms and what not, but I will say that as long as that person is at the front desk, I will NEVER stay at this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
JamesManorStaff, General Manager at James Manor, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
I am writing in response to your comments about the desk clerk. You had come to the hotel around 9 am to check in when the previous day's guest have not even checked out. Your were very nicely told that our check in time is 4 pm and our check out time is 11 am. After the check out, it takes a few hours to clean the rooms before we can rent them again. You insisted somehow to check in much before the check in time and your request could not be accommodated as the rooms were being cleaned.

You cancelled the room with Orbitz.com while you were responsible for paying 1 day charge for cancellation as per our policy. You did not pay anything. I think your complaint and comments are unwarranted and unreasonable. You have to appreciate that you did not comply with our hotel policy re check in time. I am sorry it happened this way but you were responsible to a great extent in trying to be unappreciative of our policies.
Inverness, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Stayed there for five days and enjoyed it. The accommodations are great, loved the in-door heated pool and hot tub. Only two drawbacks...no guest laundry and the breakfast was adequate but could have been better. Other than this the stay was wonderful!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for your comments. We appreciate them. For your information, we do have a guest laundry on the 2nd floor. Also, the breakfast that we offer has been adequate and liked by many guests. Yes - it could be better with some more items but we also have to strike a balance between costs and the room rates also. We would be more than happy to provide additional items but then the room rates will also have to be increased. And many guests do not appreciate that.

Been to James Manor? Share your experiences!