“Clean, nice, and pleasant” 4 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2708 Parkway, Pigeon Forge, TN 37863   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #35 of 93 Hotels in Pigeon Forge
Hackensack
“Clean, nice, and pleasant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2008

The hotel was very clean and the pool and hot tub was great. The staff at the hotel help me out a lot. One time I lost my cell phone in the hospitality room and the staff let me back in after hours to look for it and that's where I found it. They couldn't be more helpful. The rooms were very clean and they left plenty of soap and towels in the bathroom every day. This hotel is very family-friendly, lots of kids in the pool and the out door pool stays open till midnight. The indoor pool is open 24 hours. The next time I go back to pigeon Forge I will be staying at the shular inn.

• Liked — The pool and the rooms they were great
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Elliestar
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2008

I had read the reviews and was prepared for a little old and somewhat dirty hotel. It's weird how these review are either really, really good or really, really bad -- so as someone researching a hotel, it's hard to make an informed choice.

First, if you get this hotel cheap - under $50 a night - you'll be pleasantly surprised. If you pay over $80 or $90 a night, you probably won't be too happy. It's the old saying, "you get what you pay for." And that is probably why the reviews are so skewed one way or another.

Honestly, the hotel isn't terrible. I wasn't afraid I would get bed bugs but given a choice now that I've seen the place, I wouldn't book again.

The room was larger than expected - we were in the back building but it did have a musty smell that cleared out after a few hours. But when entering, it was as if the room hadn't been opened for days. The sheets were clean, bathroom clean enought but the hotel is old and a bottle of Tilex would have gone a long way. There were just parts of the bathroom that were old and dingy. I wouldn't have taken a bath in the bathtub but for a shower it was okay.

The breakfast buffet was nicer than most, with plenty of supply.

The main type of person that was staying at this hotel seemed to be lower income levels, there were guest standing all over smoking (can't smoke in rooms I guess) and there were cigerette butts everywhere. The common stairwells were very dirty. If this hotel just hired a cleaning crew to clean up the common areas once a month it would go a long way. In the breakfast area people seemed to come as they are. Now don't get me wrong, I don't have to be dressed up for breakfast but many of the people were there in their PJs, shirts with holes, no shoes, just lack of common respect.

There were several pool-parties when we were there -- I think lots of families use this hotel for family reunions because they would all get together at the pool for a party. No one was ever disruptive or loud, in fact, the clientel seemed very nice, but definitely not what you would find in a Marriott or even a nicer Holiday Inn.

The hotel needs updating and cleaning but that being said, if you just want a place to rest and get the place cheap -- stay here. If you really want top notch clean . . . .go to some of the newer hotels in the area (Inn at Christmas Place, Fairfield Inn and Suites in Gatlinburg, etc.)

• Liked — The room was bigger than most hotel rooms - had a double king room
  • Disliked — smelled
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2008

When it comes to hotels in Pigeon Forge the Shular Inn cannot be beat. Over the years I have stayed there numerous times and during all four seasons. My husband and I were just there for our vacation. All of the staff are so nice and polite. Our room was very efficient and contained all that we needed. I love that the rooms contain a microwave,refrigerator, and coffee maker in them. There is an outdoor pool and hot tub (water was chilly) and there is also an indoor pool,hot tub, and sauna that is open 24 hours:) The indoor hot tub was sooo wonderful after a long day. The water was nice and hot!!! The hotel has a wonderful full -spread of a breakfast. The biscuits and gravy were awesome. They have cereal,muffins,fruit,coffee,juice,etc. You cannot go wrong with staying at the Shular Inn:)

• Liked — 24 hour hot tub and pool and the breakfast
  • Disliked — water in outdoor hot tub was chilly
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Fort Gay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2008

I have been staying at Shular for about 15 years now. We have stayed at other hotels when rooms were not available. And they wasnt as nice. So now when we come to the Smokies we make our plans in advance so we can stay here. I enjoy the building in the rear it is alittle quieter and more relaxing. And we really enjoy the out door pool. everythings always so clean and ready for us when we arrive. I always tell everybody to stay there. And when we see people afterwards they always say that they just loved it and they intend to go back.

Stayed April 2008
welch, wv
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2008

We have stayed here a total of 5 times in the last two years. The staff is always helpful, the rooms are exceptionally clean along with the bathrooms. The rooms are cleaned daily. The location is perfect you can walk to almost anywhere. The indoor pool is open 24hrs which my teenager loves. The breakfast is also good. I would recommend staying here. We have reservations again for June.

• Liked — Everything
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2008

I've been staying at the Shular Inn for many, many years now. The rooms are always neat, clean and well equipped with amenities. The beds and pillows are sooooo very comfortable. The television sits in a nice armoire. We stayed in a room with a fully equipped efficiency kitchenette. This was definitely the way to go since we had a toddler with us. The shower was very roomy and had the adjustable massage showerhead. The bathroom also has the built in hair dryer. We had an iron and ironing board, The staff is always hospitable and very quick with check- in and check-out. I love the fact they have 2 pools; one indoor heated and one outdoor. They also have 2 children's pools. What I have to boast about the most though is the outdoor Warm Spring. Ahhhh! Refreshing and relaxing, especially at night after a long day of sightseeing. They also have an indoor hot tub and sauna which are a delight as well. The Shular Inn hosts a wonderful continental breakfast that I've never experienced in other hotels..One entire wall is full of different breakfast stations filled with delicious, fresh food. Clean is the word again here also. I am very particular about cleanliness in hotels. The Shular Inn is by far one of the best I have stayed in. The overall statement about this hotel..........you get lots of bang for your buck! The room rates are very, very affordable. The best perk is the complementary breakfast each day. We all want quality accomodations when we travel and the Shular Inn is the place to stay.

• Liked — cleanliness and comfort
  • Disliked — no complaints or dislikes
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
Kentucky
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2008

My family and I have stayed at the Shular a few times but our last two stays have been bad. Our last stay before this one was about two years ago. I called on our way down and booked the room. Little did I know that it was during the car show. There was no parking at all because people had put chairs in the parking places. I went in to complain and was told to move the chairs. I wasn't very happy and asked if I could just cancel my room. (We had no clue it was during the car show we were just looking at a place to crash for one night.) I was told that no I couldn’t cancel that during the car shows they have a no cancellation policy. So I didn't have much choice, we checked it. We ended up changing rooms three times because of various problems. (Hair all over the bathroom, nasty food and spilled drinks in the fridge, Beds unmade and pillows thrown in the floor) When we checked out though we got to talk to the manager and he didn't end up charging us for our stay. So this year we decided to give the place another chance. And I wish that we would not have.

The price is great. You really can't beat it. And the pool is open 24 hours so that is always nice. But I don’t think it’s worth it anymore. We had no problem checking in. We went to our room and at first appearance it was nice. We changed quickly and went to the pool. Yikes it was crowded. I have never seen so many kids in my life. My fiancée and me decided to get in the hot tub, while my little bro tried the pool. We quickly decided against it. I have been to several places and have never seen a dirtier hot tub. I mean when your on the beach you expect a little sand, but this was filthy. All around the outside upper part was brown. It had so much dirt in it that it totally grossed me out. It was like a dirt rim at the top. When the bubbles stopped you could see piles of dirt in it. We decided to go back to the room.

When we got to the room is when we started to really look at it. The beds appeared to be clean but the sheets were very stained. There was stuff on the wall that looked like blood, the toilet was dirty and the shower was about halfway cleaned. The shower curtain had so much mold on it. All the furniture was so dusty that you could write your name on it. At this point we should have called the front desk, but we were already unpacked and thank god only had to stay for 2 nights so we didn't. Also they had the hardest beds I have ever slept in in my whole life.

My honest opinion of this hotel is that it is cheap, but you have to remember that you pay for what you get. If you are looking for clean and nice, If your looking for a place that your children can enjoy the pool and that you and your significant other can relax in the hot tub...go elsewhere. My cousins were down at the same time and they stayed at the Econo for the same price and loved it.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Cleanliness of the room and pool/hot tub
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Shular Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!