“Wouldn't Stay Again!” 2 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Kentucky
“Wouldn't Stay Again!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2008

My family and I have stayed at the Shular a few times but our last two stays have been bad. Our last stay before this one was about two years ago. I called on our way down and booked the room. Little did I know that it was during the car show. There was no parking at all because people had put chairs in the parking places. I went in to complain and was told to move the chairs. I wasn't very happy and asked if I could just cancel my room. (We had no clue it was during the car show we were just looking at a place to crash for one night.) I was told that no I couldn’t cancel that during the car shows they have a no cancellation policy. So I didn't have much choice, we checked it. We ended up changing rooms three times because of various problems. (Hair all over the bathroom, nasty food and spilled drinks in the fridge, Beds unmade and pillows thrown in the floor) When we checked out though we got to talk to the manager and he didn't end up charging us for our stay. So this year we decided to give the place another chance. And I wish that we would not have.

The price is great. You really can't beat it. And the pool is open 24 hours so that is always nice. But I don’t think it’s worth it anymore. We had no problem checking in. We went to our room and at first appearance it was nice. We changed quickly and went to the pool. Yikes it was crowded. I have never seen so many kids in my life. My fiancée and me decided to get in the hot tub, while my little bro tried the pool. We quickly decided against it. I have been to several places and have never seen a dirtier hot tub. I mean when your on the beach you expect a little sand, but this was filthy. All around the outside upper part was brown. It had so much dirt in it that it totally grossed me out. It was like a dirt rim at the top. When the bubbles stopped you could see piles of dirt in it. We decided to go back to the room.

When we got to the room is when we started to really look at it. The beds appeared to be clean but the sheets were very stained. There was stuff on the wall that looked like blood, the toilet was dirty and the shower was about halfway cleaned. The shower curtain had so much mold on it. All the furniture was so dusty that you could write your name on it. At this point we should have called the front desk, but we were already unpacked and thank god only had to stay for 2 nights so we didn't. Also they had the hardest beds I have ever slept in in my whole life.

My honest opinion of this hotel is that it is cheap, but you have to remember that you pay for what you get. If you are looking for clean and nice, If your looking for a place that your children can enjoy the pool and that you and your significant other can relax in the hot tub...go elsewhere. My cousins were down at the same time and they stayed at the Econo for the same price and loved it.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Cleanliness of the room and pool/hot tub
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2008

we have stayed at shular inn ever time we have visited the smokies, i remember 1 year i thought i would book at another hotel for something different, sadely to say we absoulutely hated it, ended up checking out the second night and going to shular inn the next morning. our children are happy there they love the pool which is open 24 hrs. which is very nice so if your at a show late you dont have the kids upset that the pool is going to close they can swim at 2 in the morning if they would like. they also have a very nice outdoor pool and hot tub as well as indoor, the rooms have been remodeled the beds are very long and big, nice refridgerater and microwave. i recommend shular to everyone, the price is affordable as well, remember if the kids are happy you will be happy!!! after all there the boss!

• Liked — the rooms and beds were very big and comfortable, the 24 hr indoor pool and hot tub as well
  • Disliked — no game room
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
Salem, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2008

The Shular Inn provided us with a clean, fairly large room. The staff was courteous and check was quick and easy. The indoor pool was a good size and the kids enjoyed it. The value was fair. I would have no problem staying there again. The pool area could use some fresh paint and trim.

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — breakfast-yuk
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2008

This hotel was wonderful, we read the reviews on the site and were not sure if it was going to be, but it was! The room was vey nice and clean! The pool was great and clean! It was in a perfect location! The only complaint was they were putting up a new street sign so we could not find it when we were first trying to!

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Breakfast was okay but we aren't big breakfast fans anyways!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2008

My family and I recenlty stayed at the Hotel for three days. Some of the reviews I read made me very leary, but the photos on the website, was almost dead on for our room. My 2 young sons found the pool very enjoyable. The staff was very helpful when i had questions. All and All I would stay there again or recommend it to any one else. The funny thing was while i was in the pool with my children I remembered staying there myself with my family when I was about 10. And the price was great!

• Liked — indoor pool
  • Disliked — 4th floor in the back
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Pine Level, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2008

When we arrived we asked if we could upgrade our room to a king suite. They told us the price I proceeded to go outside and talk my wife into it. When the manager saw I was having a tough time with her he came out and said he would upgrade it for 20 more a night. This is with a very large hot tub the room is big and clean. The staff were very friendly. If I ever go back to pigeon forge this is where I am staying.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Originally Milwaukee but now Tri Cities
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2008

I had stayed their on 12-20 thru 12-23 of 2007 & had read the other reviews but thought I would give it a shot anyway & It ended up being not that bad except that I did have 2 little ones ages 3 & 4 & it was real cold & the pool had no indoor acces!! Only downfall really! Rooms were clean & new like with a great Cont. Breakfast with some real good bisquits & gravy...eggs could use some help thou..lol..Everyone was real nice their & I would stay their again & I am a smoker & would love to stay their summer because they did have a pretty big outdoor pool & it is in a great location!!

• Liked — location!!!
  • Disliked — No indoor acces to pool!!
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Shular Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!