“The shower” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #55 of 94 hotels in Pigeon Forge
atlanta,ga
“The shower”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

If you get nothing else from this review, let me share how you work the shower:

Step 1) Have a shower cap ready!

Step 2) Do not look for a lever or switch. There is not one.

Step 3) Sit on the edge of the tub. Use one hand to pull down the circular part of the faucet. Use your other hand to switch on the water.

Step 4) The water will come streaming out and you will be grateful you had on the shower cap.

Now you know!

Ok the review-

I just returned from Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg for my family reunion. I have never been to the area and was quite surprised how busy it was. This is a combination of Orlando with a touch (very small touch) of Vegas due to some of the wacky entertainment centers and shows.

This hotel sits on the main strip near Dollywood. It's one of many condo hotels. It appears they have done some renovations but I still say more updates are needed.

Our room was spacious. We slept in a queen room with kitchen and no Jacuzzi. We also had a sleeper sofa which we did not use. Overall a very spacious room. We only had one flat screen which was fine. Based on the layout of this room, a second tv would have been a waste. There is no wall dividing the living area, kitchen and bed. Just imagine on big super room with everything together.

What's good here?
Location! Right across the street from Wood Fire Grill. They catered our meals for the reunion. There is no room service here or any type of on premise food service. Wood Fire is truly a few steps away. Just across from the parking lot is Cracker Barrel and directly across the street is another chain restaurant. Just cannot remember the name! (Now the name comes to me. It's Ruby Tuesday!).

Staff-I was not part of the family reunion committee but the hotel staff appeared to be very accommodating to our chairperson. We had a nice big room for our group.

Game room for kids or adult kids but the games seem a little outdated.

Safety and Sleeping-

I felt very safe here and we had no problems with the cleanliness of the room and our bed was comfortable even though it was a queen. Hubby wanted a king but they were sold out.

Room for improvement-

The hallways show their age a little but otherwise clean. Same for the elevator. Like some previous reviews..thin walls! I've stayed in many hotels and I was a little surprised how much I could hear from other occupants but not much can be done to improve unless they tear down the whole thing and start over.

I also agree with another reviewer-thin towels. Usually not a big deal for me but still it was a little disappointing.

Kitchen-At least in our room, it appeared someone took most of the cups and glasses. Not that we really needed them but for making our own coffee, there was only 1 cup in the cupboard and just on glass.

Internet-Almost non existent. I don't think this hotel has there own wireless access. I was able to get a signal but I believe it was from a near by business.

Iron and Ironing board-The iron works but you get a pint size ironing board.

No workout room-2 pools though. Indoor and outdoor.

Bottom line-

I've stayed in better hotels but that has been for business. In fact, I would tell someone if you travel to this area for business, this probably is not the hotel for you. There are many other hotels like Hampton Inn, Holiday inn and others that are more accommodating.

This is a good hotel if you are on a budget or you need kitchen amenities. I would recommend you bring all of your toiletries. No cute samples of lotions or shampoos here. I never travel with towels but if I stay here again, I would bring my own.

Because of my previous travels, I would elect to stay at one of the more well known hotels for overall ambiance and basics like towels and internet service.

I saw other groups there for their family reunion so I guess it cannot be all that bad.

Thanks for reading!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
SmokiesLodge, Public Relations Manager at Spirit of the Smokies Condo Lodge, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for your very detailed comments. We were very happy to host your family reunion, and glad that you appeared to enjoy your stay. The shower can be accessed while the water is running out of the faucet (like any normal shower). As stated, you just need to pull the lip down on the faucet when you're ready to turn the shower on.

444 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Kingsport TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

This was a great place to stay the rooms were clean the staff was friendly the service was great they provided coupons for attractions and food. I have stayed there before and always enjoyed it I have stayed at more expensive hotels in PF and not get the same service. They also have a meeting room that seats about 300 plus.

Room Tip: they have 57 rooms with 2 beds, Queen rooms with a fireplace and king beds with a jacquzi
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
SmokiesLodge, Public Relations Manager at Spirit of the Smokies Condo Lodge, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you so much for your comments. We look forward to your return visit!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Ok I expect big things from this hotel in the future, I was disappointed to see that the new water park was not completed but that gives me incentive to come back! Hotel is clean and well maintained, staff is extremely friendly and the southern hospitality is the best. Room was cleaned every morning, staff made sure we had everything we needed even the one day I forgot to take down the do not disturb sign there was a sign left telling us how to get the room cleaned if we needed to. Location is great no far from Dollywood and the new Island food is just a hope skip and a jump away.

Only improvements I see is pool deck may need a little attention, it is a little dirty and slimmy in some spots but thats to be expected jacuzzi was a little rough and a little air conditioning in the game room would be great! Also I understand that the wifi was spotty and they are workin on getting that fixed. All in all not bad will be back in sure!

• Stayed July 2013
We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to your return visit.
Howell, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

Please do not stay here! Our room stayed dirty all 4 days we were here. Fire alarm went off in the middle of the night and the staff never called the fire department! Insane! We never felt safe the rest of the trip. It was just run down and not kept up.

• Stayed July 2013
SmokiesLodge, Public Relations Manager at Spirit of the Smokies Condo Lodge, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
1. Our rooms have been remodeled from top to bottom, interior and exterior, a little over two years ago. They are not by any means run down.
2. If you will peruse our reviews, you will see the excellent record our housekeeping staff has. We could also inform you of how many repeat guests we have, for the very reason of how friendly, diligent, and excellent our cleaning staff is. If there is an ounce of legitimacy to your complaint, we would ask that you contact us immediately, so that we may investigate such an assertion that is categorically the opposite of every norm our housekeepers exhibit on a daily basis.
3. Regarding the fire alarm, I will repost what I have responded to our other guest that blamed the hotel for the fire alarm sounding:
When the alarm went off, shortly thereafter our clerk was able to establish that some kids set it off. They confirmed, along with the parents, to her there was no emergency, and this is why the clerk came out to let the guests know that they could return to their rooms. Thus, after verifying there was no danger, she attempted to make the late night distraction (of which we had no control over) as minimally intrusive to guests as possible. The clerk followed the proper steps (she called the head of maintenance to turn it off, and informed the manager, just so he was aware). There were some customers that were gratuitously rude to our clerk as if it was the business' fault that a kid pulled an alarm. How absurd that some guests would simultaneously be angry at the business for not further prolonging their inconvenience outside (even though our clerk attempted to minimize this inconvenience as much as possible AND safely by determining the cause), and then also demanding their money back for the inconvenience they demanded to prolong!
Dobson, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We Came In Friday the 12th and Were to Stay until Sun the 14th, We reserved 2 rooms that Were Supposed To be Connected but The Front Desk Said they Didnt have Any and that They Didnt See Where We Asked For One (we Did), Saturday Night At Around Midnight there was A Fire Alarm that Caused An Evacuation Of the Building, They Came Out After a Little While And Told us To Go back To our rooms,BUT No one from the Fire dept had even been called By The Employees to Check the reason for the Alarm. The Fire dept Finally Showed Up After A GUEST Called Them. We Had 2 Children Ages 6 And !0 That Were Terrified To even Go back into the Building At All After All This , They were Crying And very upset About the Whole Thing As Were The Rest of Us, We Had To leave At 1 Am and Find Another Motel To Stay In Until The Morning. The Lady At the Front Desk Was trying To Do All She Could To Straighten out All This Mess But She Was the Only One there... NO MANAGER!!!! He Or She Never Showed Up To The Motel At All Even Though he Was Called And Only Lived 15 Mins Away We Were Told As Far As The Rooms They Were Clean And Decent But The Walls Were Very Thin And We Could hear Everything From The Rooms next To us All night The Only Night We Stayed. The Elevator was nasty As Were The Pools And the Hot Tub Was Just A mess, We Had No Intentions Of Even getting Into It From the Looks Of it.There Is No Way We Would Ever Stay here Again After All this!!! The Poor lady At The Front Desk Was very Nice Though and We felt Sorry For All the Flack She Was getting Because the Manager (who gets paid to manage this Place) Should have Shown Up and Covered This Mess!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Any time a reservation is booked, if any requests are made, we always do our best to accommodate them. We assign the rooms at the moment of making the reservation, and we always make notes as well, to explain the requests that were made. Looking up your reservation, we found that there was a note to keep the rooms close to each other and that you, indeed, stayed in those very rooms she assigned. There were both on the 2nd floor and only 3 rooms in between.
Regarding the fire alarm: When the alarm went off, shortly thereafter our clerk was able to establish that some kids set it off. They confirmed, along with the parents, that there was no emergency, and this is why the clerk came out to let the guests know that they could return to their rooms. Thus, after verifying there was no danger, she attempted to make the late night distraction (of which we had no control over) as minimally intrusive to guests as possible.
We don't understand why you are surprised of only one clerk being present at 1 in the morning.
The clerk followed the proper steps (she called the head of maintenance to turn it off, and informed the manager, just so he was aware). As the issue was then resolved, there would not have been a need for a manager to come in at 1am, regardless of said employee's proximity to the establishment.
There were some customers that were gratuitously rude to our clerk, as you stated, as if it was the business' fault that a kid pulled an alarm. How absurd that some guests would simultaneously be angry at the business for not further prolonging their inconvenience outside (even though our clerk attempted to minimize this inconvenience as much as possible AND safely by determining the cause), and then also demanding their money back for the inconvenience they demanded to prolong!
With the utmost respect (more than you seemed to give us), we would humbly submit that your claims, are indeed, what is ridiculous.
Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

This was my first time in this condo lodge and in Piegeon Forge, Tn. I found this place to be just average. I would not stay here again. First, the staff seemed to be very nice and helpful. Even though I called down from my room on three different times and the phone just rang. The room I stayed in was 5017 it smelled so I went to cvs and bought some frebreeze and put a vent stick on the air conditioning unit the entire stay. There was two reunions being held, it was very noisy. The TV selection is bad, not that many channels. I read the reviews about the bed, and I truly found it to be uncomfortable. We left our dirty towels in a pile so when she cleaned our room it would be easy clean up well this morning after our room was cleaned the dirty towels were still in our bathroom, I guess it was an over-sight. The towels which I'm in agreement with a lot of others are very thin and small. The bedspread are so old looking. I asked for some toothpaste because I forgot to bring my own I was told they were out of complimentary toothpaste and they had some I could purchase...wow really. This place would be nicer if they would do small upgrades also as I see they have done larger ones. It reminded me of a truck stop hotel versus a condo lodge. It just wasn't my cup of tea.

JesusAngel,
We are sorry to hear that you were so discontent with our provision and service. Thank you for complimenting our staff. If you were unable to reach them, it could be possibly because we are extremely busy during July. When we have 160 sold out rooms, our staff works as diligently as possible to serve the guests. They always answer the phone, so if it continued to ring, then all 4 lines would have been in use, which is highly likely. An extremely large portion of our guests are repeat business, and they absolutely love staying with us. They enjoy the value, and they definitely keep us incessantly busy. As a full hotel on a summer weekend, and with groups, there would be an understandable level of noise. I wonder to an extent, JesusAngel, if you would have had us turn them away, and refuse to sell all of our rooms. If there is ANY excessive noise past regular waking hours, we will gladly investigate any disturbance for you, if you would bring it to our attention. As with many of things you listed during your stay, we cannot help you if you do not let us know. Our bedspread are only 2 years old, and our housekeepers have a proven record of superb cleaning.
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

I was on a high from the moment I stepped in the room. The room was furnished with all the things needed for the kitchenette; even though I brought things from home to cook with they were there that I repacked my belongings. lol..... The only disappointment was when we got back to the room after a day in gatlinburg.. where must I begin. 1st was the sign that was posted "that the water would be shut off from 11:30 pm til 6 am".. well if we are on the strip and can walk to many amenities this is the time many will be coming into the room to rest for the night to recoup for the next day of fun. I used the restroom even when I diddnt have to to keep from having something sitting in the toilet till when could flush. 2nd we had 18 channels but only 15 worked with sound. My boyfriend called to ask about the channels and was told"they was having problems with the provide."ok..read other reviews where other people said this was a problem when they were there in late May early June.. but I chose this location because of rates, location, amenities, despite the pictures someone posted that they had bed bugs.. Did check bed when I first got in the room.. I really felt that by the time I was going to be staying at this location(July)whatever problems they were having would be resolved with that company.If Imin a contract with a provider and I am not getting the services that I am promised and paying for I would drop them at a drop of a dime, but no this is not the case with this hotel..the excuse is still the same.. We are having a problem with our service provider. I ask when is the manager, GM, or Corporate Office going to get off of sitting on their hands and bottoms and doing something about this because they are in the business of providing a service to people and excuses will only get you so far. I would have been somewhat ok if I could have gotten a movie, tv show on my ipad, but I had to go outside to do that. They need to do something to ensure that their customers are having a good stay/vacation for what they are paying for is met to the upmost standards. This is part of their duty being in the customer service business sector.

Room Tip: All rooms are good just depends if you are looking for the views or the kitchenette to save some mon...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
SmokiesLodge, Public Relations Manager at Spirit of the Smokies Condo Lodge, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
1. As you stated, we need to "do something to ensure that their customers are having a good stay/vacation for what they are paying for is met to the upmost standards." Indeed, that is what we have been laboring nonstop for, and the very pointman that has been spearheading this undertaking is, in fact, the General Manager. Not to bog guests down with details, we are not able to simply drop the current provider on a dime because our Internet, TV, and phones are all through them. We would not be serving the guests properly if they could not reach us. In addition, to serve our guests properly, we have entered into a business agreement with our well-known new provider. However, this well-known and reputable provider cannot just turn their services on a dime either. Because they are new to serving this area (another reason why we were limited before in our choice of providers), there is a lot of physical work and installation that must be done, and they let us know such a transition will take up to 90 days. We entered into the agreement in May, and they are on the final phase of their installation. Though many guests have been very understanding as they see that we actively are "doing something to ensure our customers are having a good vacation," we do ask for patience. I know it can be difficult when a guest does not know what is going on behind the scenes, but rest assured, customer service is the single motivating factor driving all of this effort, time, and finances.

2. As happens in any business, it was simply time to replace and update one of our water pressure valves. Again, because our drive is customer service and ensuring top rate and updated rooms, appliances, service, etc., we were installing a brand-new water pressure valve. According to code compliance with the law, the water must be turned off in order to install the valve. As you know, a hotel is open and running 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, so we chose a time with the most minimal impact for our guests' convenience. The water wound up being temporarily shut off (again, as the law dictates) from 12:30a to 3:30am, for just three hours in the middle of the night. We were sorry for the inconvenience, but again, most guests are very understanding and we always want you and the other guests to know we are doing this for your benefit ultimately.

Been to Spirit of the Smokies Condo Lodge? Share your experiences!