“Comfortable Suite” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 93 Hotels in Pigeon Forge
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Comfortable Suite”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

We stayed here for just one night after driving all day and in need of a decent hotel before our cabin check-in the following day. We made our reservation late in the afternoon after hearing about how new this Marriott was. I was impressed by the king-sized suite, and the complimentary breakfast was nice. The location is perfect if you plan on staying in the Pigeon Forge area, and it is very accessible to Gatlinburg and the Great Smokies!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Hampton, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

My new wife (just married) and I spent the week here the second week of June. The price for the week was fair and comparable to other hotels of the same quality level. We typically stay at the competitor across the street, but received a much better price this week at the Marriott after making a phone call and asking for a consistent daily rate. We normally stay here a couple of times a year usually when the price and the points deal is better than the competition. We were greeted by the extremely nice staff with a couple of bottles of water, the green apple suckers my wife loves, and some snacks thanks to being a rewards member. On entry of our room it was clean and had the extras we requested such as towels, pillows, toiletries, etc. The fridge was cold and ready for our drinks and snacks that we brought along. Our room was located on an upper floor as requested and was close to the elevator, ice machine, and vending. Our room was perfectly climatized at 70 degrees when we arrived on a day that was particularly warm. The bed was prepared for entry in typical Marriot high quality fashion.

As we left for dinner that night the staff presented us with coupons for restaraunts nearby saving us $5. The hotel has many great places nearby to eat along with coupons to save you money. It is also near many great places to shop and is a short distance from Dolly's Splash Country and Dollywood. It is also a short distance to Gatlinburg and Cherokee across the mountain. Ask the front desk for help with coupons or any other question you may have. They are very helpful.

The next day when we awoke we headed down for breakfast. The breakfast here is a healthier choice compared to some others due to turkey ham and sausage , whole wheat breads, fresh fruits, low fat dairy products, etc. the breakfast the first morning was good, but had been better in the past. I will say we were a little disappointed by breakfast this stay on other days of the week due to lack of a properly stocked breakfast bar, and witnessing the staff not properly rotating product on several occasions. We noticed that some of the dairy products were very close to out of date while newer products were placed in front of the older products. Also they seemed short staffed thus cleanliness was lacking in some areas. We understand that breakfast is free, but it should still be properly maintained. You should never run out of orange juice. I would give an excellent rating if Breakfast had been a better, consistently good experience through the week. Also, several patrons offered complaints about the breakfast situation with no resolution offered. We were going to complain, but after seeing the responses to other patrons we decided to post our thoughts here. Considering this is sort of our honeymoon (another trip planned for next month) we didn't want to have a bad experience with the staff.

The room cleaning staff was professional and worked very hard. I gave one of the guys a good tip just for his manners. He was a very well mannered, articulate, and professional member of the staff who did a great job. Also, there is a couple of the staff that are married who are great. They are very personable and professional. The staff is another reason we stay here at least a couple of times a year. They usually remember us and are always good to us. We would always stay here if we could get the management to guarantee a lower rate than the competition and the breakfast situation was improved. We are in this area 10 to 20 times a year as a quick, weekend get away, so price matters.

Overall this hotel is very good, but does have some opportunities for improvement in the area of breakfast and maybe price matching throughout the year. One thing to note is I believe this Marriott has the best hot tub and pool combination out of all the places I have stayed in Pigeon Forge. I love their hot tub and the pool is very clean. Some of the others in the area may be larger, but this one was consistently clean and the same temperature day and night. I believe the clientele here is of a higher status than some of the other hotels which helps in keeping the pool clean. Due to the type of clientele this hotel serves it is also safe and doesn't have you worrying about being robbed or your room broken into.

One last item. When asked by colleagues and friends about places to stay in Pigeon Forge, this hotel is on my list. It is in my top 3 list.

Room Tip: Room 315 is a king room with a hot tub that is an excellent choice.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Napoleon, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

first i want to commend Joe and Lori for responding to reviewers. Especially nitpicking ones. This is a family hotel. there will be kids in the pool. probably in both pools, that's right, two pools. both very well kept. warm and inviting. with a slide, which my daughter went down about 100+ times. ok, i confess, i went down it too. but only 50 times. the outside hot tub, excellent. hot and bubbly. the room, spacious, clean, well maintained. was there some fraying on carpet, yes. my opinion, that is to be expected. these hotels have thousands of people in and out. if there was no maintenance needed, it means nobody is staying there. then you really wonder. only one TV, oh the horror. i don't even think we used the tv. by the time we get done with hiking, swimming in the TWO pools, going for ice cream, and playing at the parks and going for walks we didn't really have time for TV. walks.....did i mention the location. you can walk to a heck of a lot. the new island place is pretty nice. Location is wonderful. Staff, absolutely wonderful. one day the hot tub was broke, maintenance guy was working on it and had ti back up and bubbling in no time. breakfast was always ready on time. front desk was very pleasant. always greeting you when you walk in. cleaning did a wonderful job, even left us a pleasant note when our daughter had left a bunch of stuff out on her bed that they couldn't move it to make the bed. we left a very nice thank you and a tip. it was so nice to come back to a clean room and made beds after long fun days of hiking and shopping. thank you for keeping the place looking good, my wife and i were there two yrs ago, and the place still looks good. keep up the good work. we might be seeing you again in two more yrs. i almost forgot to mention the value, for around $110 for weeknights, are you kidding me. with a nice breakfast, and two pools. if you are looking for five star, room service, and foot massages at the front desk go pay 4-5 times more and have at it. i will save some $$$ and stay here. or if you think the value is bad there are plenty of $29.95 rooms on the strip. i am sure they will be more than happy to wait on you hand and foot.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

My family and I stayed at the SpringHill Suites in Pigeon Forge this week. We had two small ones (2 and 4) with us. We were sincerely welcomed by Lori and efficiently checked in. She was very helpful with offering suggestions of where to eat and also offered to sell us our tickets for Dollywood to avoid the waiting and crowds. She provided pool toys for the little ones. I noticed as other guests came back in from dinner or being out, she greeted them warmly and ask about their food, what they had done, etc. The accommodations were very clean and well suited for our family. The pool was small, but it had a slide and was a fun place for the kids (and grown-ups) to relax. I would definitely return to this location on a future trip!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

I have stayed in many SpringHill Suites and to me they are all the same (not a good or bad thing). They are all spacious suites with the same amenities, and include a free breakfast, but they are not too over the top either.

I have stayed at all 3 Mariott properties in Pigeon Forge/Gatlinsburg, and thought this one was ok.

Pros: Definitely a very family friendly place (because of the room size and lower cost). I have never had a cleanliness complaint at a SpringHill Suites either as the rooms are always very 'green' and 'clean'. The hotel was very crowded the weekend I was there, and the staff really hustled to make sure the breakfast items were being replenished. Also, you can tell it is a new hotel as the lobby and rooms look fresh.

Cons: The pool area was nice, but small, and too many young kids jumping around like animals for anyone else to use it. Also, as with many Spring Hill Suites, but when I walked into my room, it smelled like feet. Finally, this hotel has NO balconies. Yes, I knew that going in, but when you are at Pigeon forge you want to be outside and use a balcony. Especially as a category 6 hotel I would expect this.

A nice, clean hotel, honestly somewhere I would more gladly spend a business trip. However, I would probably stay somewhere else next time I can to the Smokies.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Morganton, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Have been staying here for several years and am always pleased with our stay. Would like to recognize some of the staff on their excellent performance and personalities. Romelyn Haynes (front desk) . Lori Vanprice (assistant general manager). Heathet Reihart (room attendant) and Kathy Sanchez . Thank you ladies for making our stay enjoyable .
High highly recommend Sprinhii Suites as an excellent place to stay while visiting Pigeon Forge.

• Stayed May 2014
Lori V, General Manager at SpringHill Suites by Marriott Pigeon Forge, responded to this review, June 8, 2014
Dear Judyelkins,
Thank you so much for the wonderful review of our beautiful SpringHill Suites by Marriott in Pigeon Forge TN! We appreciate your recognition of our staff members, and would like you to know that they will all be recognized for their positive service during our next employee meeting! We are happy to hear that you make SpringHill Suites By Marriott your home away from home when you are in town and we look forward to having you as our guest again!
Hilton Head, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

My husband recently retired and we are traveling to many places. We decided to visit Pigeon Forge, Tennessee and chose to stay at the SpringHill Suites. Upon arrival, we found the outside appearance of this property was landscaped, clean and inviting. In contrast, upon check in, the front desk clerk left us waiting while she answered a phone and made a reservation. There was no apology for the delay. The first room we were given had a very strong odor (bad smelling air freshener perhaps?). We told a different front desk clerk the room smelled bad and would not work. No apology was offered but we were given a second room. The second room had frayed carpet with numerous strings sticking up. We asked the front desk clerk if there were any better rooms. She said we could try a different room although all the rooms smelled the same. She did not comment on the carpet. This clerk gave us a key to a third room. The third room had frayed carpet and had the same strong odor smell. We decided to try the second room since we were tired from driving all day. Upon settling in the room, we found other issues other than frayed carpet. There was no stopper for the bathroom sink and the stopper was not fastened in the bathtub. Taking a shower we realized the shower would not drain unless the stopper remained out of place in the tub. The hot water temperature only rose to a little warm at best. The soap in the box container was stuck to the bathroom counter. For some reason, the head of the bed appeared to be lower than the foot of the bed and springs in the mattress could be felt when laying down. Needless to say, it was an uncomfortable night's sleep. We stayed in the king studio with spa tub and found the set up to be extremely odd. There was only one TV for both the sofa area and bed area which had to be turned according to which area was viewing. When turned to the bed area, the person on the sofa could not see the TV. The TV was bolted down so the only way to move it for better viewing was swivel from side to side. The following morning, we had come to a mutual decision to not remain at this hotel.

We canceled our remaining reservation plus we cancelled the reservation we had made for our daughter and her family to join us a few days later. Our original reservation was for seven nights and our daughter's reservation was for five nights. On check out the same first front desk clerk received another phone call and had us wait while she took it. This call was not another reservation. It appeared to be a call from someone she knew. The only question the front desk clerk asked concerning leaving early was, "Was the spa okay?" Since we had not used the spa tub, we said we did not know. No other questions were asked and she appeared to not care about the reason we were checking out six days early. In addition, we did note, the counter along the side of the front registration counter was very messy, with brochures, a specialty coffee drink container, an open tube shaped container, scattered papers, a purse, etc....

This unpleasant review was the most difficult review for me to write since it is the first time we have not been happily satisfied with a Marriott property. When reading this, keep in mind, we are pretty picky concerning where we sleep. With that said, we do not believe we received value for the price we paid for our room. Since we are a Platinum rewards member with Marriott, we have stayed at Marriott properties numerous times. Our personal opinion on comparing this property to others where we have visited finds this one falls far short in comparison.

Room Tip: The first floor, close to the pool area, can be noisy from children coming in from and going to the...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Joseph G, General Manager at SpringHill Suites by Marriott Pigeon Forge, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Dear Kathy S.
Please accept my sincere apologies for the issues you faced during your recent stay. Our top priority is always 100% guest satisfaction and I am very sorry that we failed to meet your or our own expectations. I can't help but say that I am extremely surprised that you did not enjoy your time with us and that you faced so many issues at our property. The overwhelming opinion from our guests is typically an excellent experience as you can see from the other comments on TripAdvisor and across our internet reviews.
The situations that you encountered is very rare for our hotel and please trust that we are working very hard today to identify all of the issues you encountered and correct them immediately. I have a meeting scheduled with my management team to specifically address your comments today.
I encourage you to please call me at your earliest convenience so we can discuss the problems you faced. I apologize that I never had the opportunity to meet you while you were here nor did I personally have the opportunity to try and make you more comfortable during your stay. Our guest opinions are very valuable and utilizing your feedback is how we will continue to make our hotel excellent.
My contact information is listed below and I look forward to the opportunity to discuss your problems. Hopefully we can have you back in the near future to show you why we are a Platinum Award winning hotel with Marriott and 4 time TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence winner. I am confident that we can change your initial opinion of our hotel.
Have a great day and I hope to speak with you soon!

Joe Grieco
865.453.4514

Been to SpringHill Suites by Marriott Pigeon Forge? Share your experiences!