“Tasty” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Dessert, Buffet
Cookeville, Tennessee, United States
“Tasty”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

Arrival was what we considered to be early (5:30 pm), but we still had to wait about 30 minutes to be seated. The meat choices that day were ham, chicken fried steak, and fried chicken. The fried chicken and chicken fried steak were outstanding. The ham was a little stringy. The vegetable dishes, though, were very tasty, and the waitress replenished the bowls promptly. It is a little pricey if you don't have a coupon.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

arkansas
“Not a Buffet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

many call Mamma"s Farmhouse a buffet ,.. it isn't. Everything is served family style. It was refreshing to see a family style serving again, haven't had that it many years. You get whatever is on the daily menu. It would be best to check online at www.mamasfarmhouse.com and make sure it is something to your liking before going. The price is reasonable and be assured no one walks away without feeling full. Now let's talk about the food. Starters is soup and salad to your liking one or both served with biscuits and cornbread. Let's talk about the biscuits OMG they were the best I have ever eaten, the cornbread had a smoky flavor not sure if it had bacon grease or not but i kinda tasted a smoky bacon flavor. Mashed potatoes made the way grandma used to make them. Honestly I can say nothing was bad and as I was leaving i always notice the kitchen. This one was spotless clean, amazing considering the business they do. If you eat here while peak season i would make reservations or maybe eat a little early for your lunch or dinner. deserts were all good, so says my husband :) I was so full i took a cookie and have yet to taste it, one thing i am sure of is that cookie won't last the night.. my husbands looking at it funny :0 Would i recommend Mamma's .. Oh YES !!! I have eaten many places in this area and I will say it is one of the best if not the best ,, just saying.. Paula Dean is coming soon to the area and I wouldn't worry none Mamma due to I ate at her place in Mississippi and by no means would nor have I been back though I drive by there on my trips to LA.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Saltillo, TN
“Good food but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

We visited on 2 different dates. Once on Valentines day for lunch (reg. price) and once again a week later on Friday (21st, winter discount given) for supper. The visit on the 14th was excellent. Plenty of food, no problems with asking for extras, friendly service, tea filled promptly....everything you would expect when paying $15 per person.

On the 21st, the service (and food quantity, NOT quality) was lacking. The food tasted wonderful, however it almost seemed as if they were delaying request for extras in hope of us leaving or giving up or something. I waited 15 minutes on tea refill AFTER requesting refill. Mash potatoes, mac-n-cheese and cookies were the same way...request extras and expect to wait 15 minutes even though other tables are getting the same delivered. Desserts were half the size as they were the previous (full price) visit.

Maybe it was just the waitress..or...maybe it was because we paid full price (and got full service) on one day while paying the discounted rate (and getting discounted service) another day. I'm not sure what caused the huge differences in visits but it will make me second think visiting again. If I'm looking for an "all you can eat", I'll probably go elsewhere.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Beyond great service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

This was our second visit to Mama's, but the visit today was beyond our expectations. Upon entering we were greeted by a friendly staff member. Our server Debbie went above & beyond to meet my children's request for apples and bananas. She even sliced them up for them. She was very friendly and took very good care of us. The food was great and filled us up for our trip home! Will return next time:)

Muncie, Indiana
“Something Different”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Nice change from the usual buffet tables but we found that the food cooled too quickly setting on the table. Everything was very tasty though ...especially the grits and bacon. The scrambled eggs could have been cooked longer and I actually would have preferred the powdered eggs found at most buffets. At $10.99 each (less drinks) a little pricey for a meal that may get cold before you are finished. Wish they would have included some corned beef hash too!