“Roaches and Silver Fish!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Black Bear Inn

and 1 more site!
You added Black Bear Inn to your Saves list
Black Bear Inn
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3949 Parkway, Pigeon Forge, TN 37863 (Formerly Scenic Motel Pigeon Forge)   |
Ranked #85 of 94 Hotels in Pigeon Forge
Georgia
“Roaches and Silver Fish!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

We decided to take a spur of the moment trip during holiday weekend and unforchantly the Scenic was the only establishment that offered vacancy…. No wonder! The place was filthy! Roaches were crawling on the walls. Silver fish in the tub. The windows had spots, carpet stained, bathroom smelled of mold. When I turned the sheets down we found a long hair from the previous occupants! Disgusting! The walls were thin and there was not any hot water left by midmorning. We cut our trip short because I could not abase myself to stay in filth another night!

Room Tip: avoid by all means!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Canton, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

Yes. If there is a "Poster Boy" for the phrase "Roach Motel", it's the Scenic Motel in Pigeon Forge TN. I booked a reservation there for me and my son to stay 4 days in town through Expedia 2 1/2 weeks prior and was looking forward to this trip. When we arrived, had to hunt down the manager/owner "WHO WAS FROM THE MIDDLE EAST AND COULD HARDLY SPEAK ENGLISH", to check in. Major Red Flag right from the start. We finally found him and got him in the office. Was not too friendly and even my 12 year old son noticed that. He handed us our key and pointed toward our room. We get to our room and we noticed that all the rooms that where vacant, the doors where all pushed open. Maybe they needed to air out a little, who knows? Another Major Red Flag, right? The door to our room was already open so we walked in to a musty like metallic smell. We put our bags on the bed and looked around. There was a cheap ancient looking air conditioner unit mounted in the back wall of our room that was off. I turned it on and stood there waiting to see if it was ever going to blow cool air and it never did as far as long as we stayed. Another Major Red Flag, right? The bathroom was so small you would trip over the toilet to get to the ancient looking tub that stood there for a thousand years it seemed with all the mildew and mold. This motel had to have been one of the FIRST they built in Pigeon Forge 50, 60, or 70 years ago and never bothered to remodel one thing. The shower faucet only comes up to your chest. The toilet is so small; you will think they got from a pre-school. I'm thinking we can't stay here, and my son is agreeing with me. I open the dresser door and guess what? ROACHES scurried everywhere. I told my son to get his bags out of there and in the car NOW! Called expedia and finally got someone on the phone and he could hardly speak English as well. Told them the problem as said there was no way in hell we can stay here. He asked why and I told him. He said I needed to stay on the phone so he could phone the motel manager/owner. After 10 min he came back on line and said he could not get anyone to answer. So I go hunting again for the manager/owner. Found and told him expedia is trying to get in touch with you in your office. He finally walks back and I stay on line again. 10 min. later he gets back online and says they will not cancel the reservation because they had to hold it for me and that this motel "IS BUG FREE". I walk outside; the manager/owner was walking across the parking lot and motioned for him to come over. I asked him why he would not cancel the reservation, he said we had to hold it for me and that I have already checked in, and that this motel "IS BUG FREE. So I asked him in the room to show him something. We get inside and I open a door on the dresser and roaches scurried out. He got upset with me and accused me of bringing the roaches in there myself and stormed out saying this is my problem.
Well we could not get out of there fast enough before I lost it and really hurt someone. I lost the money I sent to expedia and had to hunt down another place to stay. Luckily, I found a much better place a half a mile away that was 3 times better, cleaner, and cheaper.
So if you don’t mind filth and bugs crawling all over you at night in a stinky bed with no air conditioning, then this is just the place for you.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Lexington, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

Stayed here on Aug 7, 2010-Aug 9, 2010. This place is Bad news! I checked in the motel thinking that I was getting a good deal. There where no problems until I got to the room. To start off the room smelled like old crusty feet and the room was very runned down. The room was so bad that I went back to the front desk and asked for my money back. That's when the India man told me that there was no refunds and pointed to the VERY small sign that says NO refunds. So I was stuck with a crappy room. The lock on the door was something that you would have on a bathroom door. I was so scared that someone was going to kick in the door, while me and my young daughter were sleeping. That I moved the heavy nightstand in front of the door for better security. Our sheets I know were dirty I had to go ask for clean sheets and they looked me like I was crazy when I asked. I know for a fact that they are not changing the sheets on the beds that have been used. Because they cleaned the room next to us in less than 5 minutes. Yes folks 5 minutes! There was 2 beds in the room next to us and there was 4 people. They cleaned the entire room within 5 minutes and rerented to room to other people. I never saw them bring in or out NEW CLEAN sheets to any of the rooms that they were cleaning and they were all being remade. Don't waste your money! This place is a hell hole!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
florence
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2010

Do not stop at this place you will regret it. The wiring is unsafe with the no covers over receptable. They advertise on sign outside coffee in room I ask about this before i rented the room was assured they were in room as well as in lobby in a.m. not only were there none in room but the lobby was not even open even at 10 a.m. when we were leaving. The bed was hard and the t.v. was old as dirt..... Do not know how they are still open....

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Herndon, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

It was a nice and lovely hotel with nice and lovely people.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2009

Traveled to the area for an overnight get-away. Didn't check reviews first - what a mistake! It was late when we got our room, and at our age the first thing we don't do any longer is check out the bed! After putting our overnight bags in the room, sitting in spray painted lawn chairs off so called balcony -- we took a walk down the street for coffee and pie. Upon returning we turned back the covers --- BIG MISTAKE -- dirty, stained, yellowed sheets... the back of the bedspread is yellow urine spotted, dirty and soiled from body soil! My husband went down looking for a "clean" blanket... he was told by the man they didn't have any extras. When my husband came back to the room and told me this I called the office and told him the bed was filthy! He asked what he could do -- and I told him I wanted clean sheets and blanket. His reply was that he did not have any extra blankets but could give clean sheets and that my husband should come back and get them. I told him better yet, I would like to leave and have a refund! He told me - "Ma'm you have been checked in for 2 hours now, we will not refund money, we do not give refunds. Believe me -- this motel should be condemned! They may sleep with the cows/pigs etc., in India --- but this is America, and I don't think any human that pays for a motel at this price (or any price) should have to sleep in someone elses dirt! I wouldn't let a dog sleep on this flith!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2009

My wife and i arrived on jul,7 2009 to enjoy two days in town.When we checked in, the man from India was really freindly,while he took your hard earned money of course.when we get to our room we un pack,go to lay down on the bed to rest for a little bit we discovered, that the clean sheets that the hotel manager had cleaned himself.-(THE SAME MAN WHO TAKES YOUR MONEY!!!) had PUBIC hairs,yes pubic hairs. Plus long black hairs on the supposed clean sheets.My wife and i, to say the least were disgusted.my wife then finds a motel employee who was working downstairs and reported the problem.She was told that the manager would be up asap to see the problem.Thirty minutes later we go down to the main office to find him standing there looking out the window daydreaming.when he see's us he goes around his desk and says qoute-( I CLEANED THE ROOM MYSELF THERE IS NO PROBLEM WITH YOUR ROOM!) then my wife says well if you have to be so rude about your clean room with PUBIC hairs on the bed we would like our money back. His responce was thumping the wall with his finger to a very small sign that says no refunds on rooms PERIOD. Yes it really says that folks! THIS is how bad it is was, we paid for two nights and packed our bags and left not even staying in the clean room that we paid for,with our hard earned money. THIS PLACE SHOULD BE RUN BY PEOPLE WHO CARE ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS!!!! we are the life blood of their income! not people who should get screwed over.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Black Bear Inn? Share your experiences!