“Unique Food, Good Service.” 5 of 5 stars

Update restaurant details
Ranked #15 of 45 restaurants in Ooltewah
Cuisines: Latin, Vegan, Vegetarian, Peruvian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Description: Welcome to Ají Peruvian Restaurant where we use fresh, authentic ingredients to bring you the flavors of Peru. “Ají” (ah-Hee) means pepper in Peru; where there are over 300 varieties! We import many of these to give our dishes and sauces the mild and spicy flavors that our customers have come to love. Come visit us today, sit at our table and enjoy the flavors of Peru!
“Unique Food, Good Service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

This is the only Peruvian restaurant in Chattanooga, and is a great choice for unique, authentic South American food. Good food, good service, reasonable price.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

68% Recommend
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Great Find in Collegedale”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I was really happy to find Aji. After recently relocating to the Ooltewah / Collegedale area, I quickly discovered the lack of good dining spots in the area. Typical fast food joints littered Lee Highway, so after seeing the Peruvian Restaurant sign in Collegedale, I stopped in. I have been there 4 or 5 times now, either solo or with colleagues from work. Each time, the food has been very good and the service friendly and prompt. You can easily get in and out of here in 30 minutes during a work lunch and feel like you've gotten a much better meal than just settling for the high-fat fast food joints. I will return.

Visited September 2012
uufrisbee7
“Not sure yet what I think”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

I went with friends to check out this restaurant, and we had reviewed their menu online before we went. The food all had exotic names, but the descriptions of several dishes sounded very much like foods that I could go get at an Asian, Mexican or Italian restaurant. I googled Peruvian food and discovered that, in fact, Peruvian food is heavily influenced by the foods from other nations. My friends and I each ordered something different. One ordered the Arroz Chaufa, or fried rice with chicken. It had a very good flavor, but it was basically just a big plate of fried rice with vegetables. Another friend ordered the Pollo Saltado, which had sauteed chicken with onions and tomatoes on a bed of french fries and a side of rice. Seemed a little too starchy for me and a lot like fajita meat and veggies, but the tomatoes had an unusually wonderful flavor. My dish was the Aji de Gallina, which looked like chicken and dumplings with a side of rice. The dish included boiled potatoes, chicken and a very mild cream sauce. I couldn't gather much taste from the cream sauce, but my friends raved about the flavor. It reminded me of chicken and dumplings. Again, lots of starch, but no veggies. My toddler son gobbled up some of all three dishes without complaint. The dessert was very good. We ordered the flan and the alfajores. The flan had a texture that I really liked, not exactly like a custard I've tried before, but not as dense as bread pudding. It was very good, and the flavor was sweet but not too sweet. The alfajores was a shortbread cookie with caramel inside. I really liked the flavor, but the cookie seemed a little dry as it seemed to turn to powder when you ate it. My friend really liked the cookie. You could tell both desserts were made from scratch. The waiter was very helpful and informative and it was a neat, authentic ethnic food experience, which my friends and I are always looking for. I'm not sure if I would return. I would like to try the rotisserie chicken with beans and rice and plantains sometime, because that sounded very tasty.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Ooltewah, Tennessee
“Good, Authentic food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

We'd never tried Peruvian food so decided to give it a shot - I'm glad we did. It was on a Friday during Lent, so I was wondering what would happen with the "no meat" thing... not to worry - great vegetarian recipes with lots of options. The food takes a little bit of time, but it's worth the wait. The host gave us a little bowl of baked corn (kind of like corn nuts, but without the flavoring or salt) that was interesting and worth trying, but make sure you have water nearby when you try them - they're VERY dry inside. A fun and different experience!

Visited March 2012
Morehead, KY
“Really good (and interesting) food, but a bit over-priced”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

We loved our visit to Aji and enjoyed the food a lot. The rice and beans are terrific, I really liked the tofu ceviche, and the fried yucca was good too. The service was attentive and friendly and the pictures on the walls of sights in Peru were lovely. The serving sizes were smaller than we anticipated, given the prices, but we figure the next time we go we'll try the combination plates from the back of the menu. It's a really interesting experience, just not one that I could afford daily for lunch.

• Visited September 2011