“Subsequent trip was better than the first” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: American
Description: This is a farm-to-table restaurant
Description: This is a farm-to-table restaurant
“Subsequent trip was better than the first”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

This is my second review of The Market House. Our first visit wasn't too impressive, but I was invited to try TMH again, and I'm glad I did. We had a new waitress and she was very, very good at what she does. She was extremely cordial and had an easy going manner. The food was delicious. I highly recommend the fried green tomatoes. One of the things I appreciate the most about TMH is the owners' commitment to buy locally raised food whenever possible. It will be nice to see what the menu looks like when the Farmer's Market opens back up. If you've got some time for a nice, relaxed meal, give The Market House at Jackson Square a try.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Georgia
“Good food and wine, good value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

We are vegetarian and were pleasantly surprised to find good choices on the menu. Our pasta and other dishes were excellent, as was the wine we ordered. Dishes were salted only lightly, which we appreciated. Our server was well-informed about ingredients and was friendly and efficient. The space itself is very attractive and we were served promptly, even though the restaurant was full, if not crowded. In other words, we had an excellent experience and would return!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Expected More, Received Mediocrity!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

We had high hopes for this all natural, local foods restaurants. Unfortunately, we were a little underwhelmed. The burger and chicken were average as were the stuffed peppers. The service was simply average as well. The facility seemed nice and inviting, but that was the best part of our visit. I wouldn't expect that claiming to be local and natural would mean that they use MSG. Not sure what it was on (likely the fries), but my wife's emergency trip to the restroom suggests they did. It wasn't a terrible experience altogether, but certainly not worth the 45 minute drive to return.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Knoxville, Tennessee
“great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I visited this restuaraunt after hearing so much about how great the food and concept was and decided i wanted to test it out for myself. I wasnt disappointed all of the "hype" was accurate!! The food was outstanding as well as the atmosphere. i came with a group of friends, a party of 4, and from the moment we entered we were greated with such enthusiasm and warmth. the young lady at the door was beyond helpful and even made it a point to ask us how we were doing, like most hostess do, but she made us feel like she genuinally cared how we were and it wasnt just the usual spill. when realizing we hadnt been to the resturaunt before she went on to tell us a little bit about the place and ensured us that if we needed anything to just let her know and throughtout our dining experience she continued to check and make sure we were doing ok.. super personable. yet it didnt stop there we were then greated by our server who broke down the menu and concept and made sure we were happy with our experience and she also made us feel like regulars when it was the first time we had stepped foot into the establishment. the food is spectacular and we were not steered wrong when it came to our choices but i must say one of the things that stuck out the most to us was the atmosphere. we were made to feel at home and like we were appreciated from the moment we opened the door to the time we stepped out with the cute young lady even opening the door for us. you cant find service like that at many places these days. good job Market House we will be back!!! keep up the good work and dont lose your welcomeing atmosphere or people for that matter!!!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Excitement gives way to major disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

I was so thrilled and excited to hear about this place. I love the concept, so I decided to go and celebrate my birthday there. I wish I hadn't. A group of 9, we arrived and were promptly seated. But then we waited, and waited, and waited some more. It was probably a full 20 minutes before the waitress even took our drink orders! And she didn't even get mine the first time around. When I ordered a water and a coke, she asked me very seriously if the coke was for my infant daughter who was on my lap! After that, we waited about another 15 minutes to order our food. My father in law actually asked the waitress if we could please order our entrees and she told him to wait just a minute and finally came back 10 minutes later. When she was good and ready to take our order, he said he wanted a burger and fries. She told him to wait - she was going to tell us the specials first! I'm sorry, but after sitting around for 45 minutes already, if your customer tells you they are ready to order, we've moved past caring about the specials. Then when she got to the second special, my mother in law said she wanted that, and the waitress said "please let me finish first, ma'am." What?? I've worked food service before, and that is the moment to make a mental note and keep going. Not tell your customer to hold on while you finish your objective. Then she asked my father in law if he still wanted the burger and he said he did. "Do you want fries with that?" I think she was spending a little too much time at the bar maybe. He said he wanted a burger and fries, but she was too busy with her agenda to care to pay attention to his first order - a burger and fries. It took another while for our food to come. So we waited an hour and a half total for our food and that's being generous. Everyone's drink ran out. And we never even had our waitress come back to check on things. It was just so disappointing. It was $50 for me and my husband, and they charged me full price when I asked for a child size order of sweet potato for my daughter. Normally I am easy going about dining out, but this was a huge flop. I would have appreciated if the waitress at least acted like she cared if we were there or not, but we were forgotten, or put in our place when she thought we were out of line.

Overall, I don't pay good money to be treated like an inconvenience by waitstaff. But if I did, I'd eat at The Marke House.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere