“A very good local stop for a fresh, well-prepared meal.” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: American
Description: This is a farm-to-table restaurant
Description: This is a farm-to-table restaurant
“A very good local stop for a fresh, well-prepared meal.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

Eaten here twice recently. My wife loves their soup. I have to say they make several terrific cheeseburgers. They also have a number of other good selections and an ever changing blue plate. The food is always fresh, and the service is professional.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Oak Ridge, Tennessee
“Taking a Stand for Good Food in Oak Ridge”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

The reviews about Market House have been polarizing--perfect or terrible. I have been to the restaurant twice and have had two very good meals. Once making an entire meal on fried green tomatoes served with the most divine smoky-spicy-creamy homemade aoli I have ever tasted. My dinner partner had an enormous strawberry, blue cheese, walnut salad served on top of organic greens. Both visits the service has been good with the wait staff doing everything possible to keep us happy. I do notice mistakes. The owners are young and new to the business---they were out of chicken on a Saturday night and also dessert. Their pricing is a little too high for some items and I hear from friends that if things go wrong, the owners can become flustered and don't know how to respond yet. More importantly, I also see a real commitment to locally grown quality food as witnessed by the map on the wall marking all their suppliers, a desire to create a fresh alternative in Oak Ridge, and goodness knows we need more non-chain options in 37830. I will be back to Market House for meal after meal supporting the young owners, who I have not yet met, as they grow into this business because I applaud their vision and can see that they will achieve it.

• Visited July 2012
Knoxville,TN
“Great local restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

The best food in Oak Ridge TN. Hands down. The specials are always great for both lunch and dinner. I really like the burgers as well, especially the fries. In my opinion, it is a much better choice than local chain restaurants like Outback and Ruby Tuesday's. They pride themselves on fresh local ingredients and it really shows in the quality of food. I recently went with a large group and everyone was very pleased with their meal. The decor is nice and you should feel comfortable in whatever you wear. You won't regret a visit but go hungry the portions are large.

Oak Ridge, Tennessee
“Won't Be Back - Hugely Disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

Finally got a chance to try the Market House for dinner on 7/6/12. My boyfriend and I were delighted at the prospect of having an upscale restaurant nearby as a regular hangout and hopeful that such a place would thrive in fast-food places we have in town. To our surprise and dismay, it wasn't even marginal - it was the worse meal and experience with restaurant management I've ever had. First, the meal:

- The fresh fish entree of the day, grouper, was literally the size of a deck of cards. Three bites at best.
- The only vegetable sides were french fries and cornbread. Last time I checked, cornbread didn't grow on a plant.
- The Green and Red Garden Wrap with hummus, came with parmesan cheese mixed in the hummus. I'm a vegan, which is why I ordered the hummus option instead of the pimento cheese option, have never seen cheese mixed into hummus, and didn't figure this out until a couple bites in. That made it inedible for me.

Now the real problem. When we asked to talk to the manager to explain why the sandwich in this case didn't work and suggest that if they even had a pasta on the menu I could order without meat, because we'd love to make his restaurant a regular place for us, his unsmiling response was:

- They are the last stop on produce truck's route, so they get a great deal on the produce but their menu is at the mercy of what's delivered. This also means they charge customers a lot for cheap-to-them produce.
- They only have pastas, like lasagna, whenever they need to clean out the refrigerator. Yes, he literally said this. Twice. Yuck.
- Zero interest in simply leaving cheese out of hummus or in considering another vegetarian option for the menu in the future, not to mention a vegetarian option that could be ordered vegan. No specified reason, not even an "uh-huh", just uninterested.
- No offer to remake with entree or offer anything to make this experience better - free drink, free entree, free appetizer, anything off the bill, an apology, or believe it or not, even a thank you for our business.

His attitude was that he was uninterested, had better things to do, and wanted us to go away, which we did after tipping the nice waitress 20% and painfully forking out $70 for a meal with one almost non-existent entree and one barely-touched entree still sitting on the plate. I drive by there every day and remember the meal and that my business isn't appreciated instead of stopping in.

• Visited July 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“The Market House is a GEM”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

If you are visiting and have time to go to only one restaurant in the Oak Ridge – Knoxville, TN area, this is it. I’ve been to countless Farm to Fork/local fare restaurants across the country and this restaurant is among the best. On the Friday night I visited, the place was packed with patrons clearly enjoying themselves and it wasn’t difficult to understand why. The warm buttermilk walls accented by deep red beneath the main dining room’s chair railing, subdued lighting and pictures of old Oak Ridge during the Manhattan Project era provided an inviting ambience. A nice touch was the artfully scripted schoolhouse style blackboards presenting the day’s specials. All in all the restaurant has a wonderful eclectic atmosphere – let’s call it SoHo chic that, when combined with the enticing smells coming from the kitchen, left us hoping the food would equal the atmosphere. We were not disappointed.

The waitress, a charming young student, recommended two appetizers to start the meal: Fried Green Tomatoes and stuffed banana peppers. It wasn’t a hard sell. We chose a couple of the bar’s craft beers, which we took and strolled out to the deck while waiting for the first course to arrive (the restaurant has outdoor dining on the patio, two indoor dining areas and a deck) and settled in for a short wait. In a few minutes the waitress found us and announced that our food had arrived. When we got to the table we found two plates of artfully decorated appetizers awaiting us. The Fried Green Tomatoes were perfectly prepared with a corn meal and panko crust covering that accentuated the moist flavor filled interiors but it was the banana peppers stuffed with feta cheese and Benton bacon that was the early hit of the day.

We shared a side salad made with fresh local greens. By the time our main courses, an organic beef hamburger served on the restaurant’s signature sourdough bun and the day’s fish special (Grouper with carrots as a side) arrived, we had already called our friends and told them how we appreciated their recommendation. According to our waitress, the restaurant is run by two young entrepreneurs who are trying to make a statement with their first restaurant. Based on our meals and the crowded dining rooms, they have succeeded.

One final word, while everyone is entitled to their opinion, I believe the “review” of the restaurant from June 24, is a blatantly unfair. As someone from New York where restaurants have begun to fight back against such attack “reviews”, I take great offense at its tone and mean spiritedness. Ignore it. The Market House at Jackson Square is a gem.

• Visited June 2012