“Badly needs updating - deep cleaning” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Inn Newport

You added Comfort Inn Newport to your Saves list
Comfort Inn Newport
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1149 Smokey Mountain Lane, I-40 to exit 432B, first right off the exit, Newport, TN 37821   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Newport
Charleston, South Carolina
“Badly needs updating - deep cleaning”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2010

Traveling cross country, we stopped here because AAA guide book gave it 2 stars, and the 2-star hotel we had stayed in the night before was great. The room was dark and gloomy, the carpets were stained, the bathroom not particularly clean, and the bed spread was something I didn't care to touch.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Augusta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

We were traveling on I 40 looking for a place to stay and decided to stop at this hotel. The person working the desk was very nice (considering it was a 1:00 AM in the morning). The room was clean but showing some age. The one thing I dont understand is all the comfort Inns I have stayed at always have older T.V.s. that dont work very well. I think they need to get with the times and invest in flat screen tvs. The breakfest was not fancy but it was O.K. and the room we ate in was set up nice.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Quepos, Costa Rica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2010

I regularly travel on I-40 between Nashville, Tenn. and the North Carolina border. I have found it advisable on some occasions to make overnight stops just east of Knoxville. There are many places to stay because of the proximity to Dollywood/Gatlinburg.

I have increasingly chosen this motel for several reasons. First, the location is convenient for me. It is close to several nice places to get a quick home-cooked meal. They also allowed pets during my stays (check current policy as this could change), and the place always seems safe, secure and comfortable on my visits.

The front desk people have always been very pleasant and helpful. My rooms have had microwaves and refrigerators. Since I am typically just looking for a place to lay my head down in relative peace and quiet -- and maybe watch some TV as I doze off to sleep -- this motel is okay by me.

I cannot comment on the leisure activities. The continential breakfast is nothing to write home about, but the coffee, juice and eating fare were nothing to complain about.

All in all, I will continue to consider the Comfort Inn in Newberry whenever the need arises to get a room east of Knoxville.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
Columbia, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

I have written this review before and it was up a year or so, then it was apparently removed…… not real sure why (just look at the gap in review dates). I am not disgruntled or lying, there were SEVERAL police reports made to verify that this as FACT. For the last 15+ years (and will continue in the future) my family & I visit Newport TN 2x a year, while passing thru to visit relatives. A little more than a year or so ago, after staying here 4 nights, on the last night most of the cars of hotel guests were broken into and completely stripped from dashboards to tailgates (seriously someone stole a truck tailgate). The "Security" Cameras were conveniently not functioning during the crime-spree and the staff became abusive during the commotion that followed the next morning when the crimes were discovered. I never even mentioned the MOLD growing on the wall and ceiling of my room and the missing necklace from my room, I’ll just get to the car robberies. I strategically parked my car directly under two of the four or five security cameras on the property. The next morning at least 15 cars had been broken into and not one was an employee vehicle, the staff didn’t witness anything (of course) and when the security tapes were reviewed, it was discovered that the security cameras had conveniently not been working on the night of the break-ins. The lady behind the counter was unable to deal professionally with the influx of problems from every guest as there were complaints, kids crying, people mad and frustrated and when she FINALLY called the owner (at my insistence) they would not come to the hotel to deal with the situation or even come to the phone to talk to guests or the police. The staff was rude, seemed unaffected by the robbery and most shockingly unconcerned and therefore no apologies were ever made. The Police were still interviewing me when the staff was trying to force my family to leave as we were past check-out time dealing with the break-in. I threatened them to make me leave….RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE OFFICER, of course he wasn’t going to enforce the check-out time seeing as how it was now a crime scene and had to tell her so. During the investigation by both the police and the insurance company it was suspected it was an “inside job” all things considered. Especially how no staff cars were broken into, the night staff didn’t see anything (with all those cars, broken glass, car doors pried open and the security cameras were off) and the way the hotel handled it. I did finally get a letter from the hotel CHAIN stating they were co-operating with the police but never got any resolution from the hotel itself, owners, etc. I expected a refund of at least 1 of the 4 nights, maybe a free stay in the future or a discount for the inconvenience, what would have been great ….a telephone number to the hotels’ insurance claim adjuster… anything except being ignored. Now to find out that after a year and a few months after my review inexplicably was removed. There is no need for that, I am not lying or attempting revenge, I think it is important for travelers to know where it is safe to stay for a family and where it is not. I will never stay here again and since I have found a competing hotel nearby who does have working security cameras and an observant night staff I’ve had no problems staying with the competition, not to mention they are cheaper and much friendlier.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2008

We needed to be close to our whitewater rafting excursion and this was the closest place for us. We arrived in the early evening and were greeted with a friendly front desk person. Checkin was quick and I was given all information I requested in a more than friendly manner. Our room was clean and nicely cool waiting for us. My kids enjoyed the outdoor pool that evening. Breakfast was good and all in all our short stay was well worth the money. I also was thankful to have the laundry as this was the first night of our stay and wet clothes and a small vehicle traveling don't go too well. Would stay here again.

• Liked — Location off interstate
  • Disliked — Nothing to dislike....I'm not picky
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2008

I stayed two nights at this hotel in a room with a jacuzzi. The bed had nice linens with several soft down pillows. The TV had a crisp, clear picture with a good selection of channels. There was a breakfast in the morning with boiled eggs, waffles and cereal. Unfortunately, the coffee was empty before breakfast ended and it was not replenished. Also the coffee in the room (the little packets for the coffee maker) was absolutely undrinkable, the worst coffee I've ever tried to drink. I put both packs in and it came out looking like amber colored beer. The day I checked out, the maid was in such a hurry to clean the room she practically chased me out the door. She knocked before checkout time, then hovered around while I was carrying bags out to my car. This was REALLY uncool. The maids are usually wonderful and I always tip them well. However, all that said, the woman at the front desk was sweet, and the jacuzzi was enjoyable. (good strong jets). I appreciated the free internet access. I wasn't crazy about the location of the hotel. It's convenient for interstate traveling, but there's not much at this exit. It feels pretty lonely and isolated there. And it's impossible to turn into the hotel if you're coming from the direction of town because of the median. Very heavy traffic there -- lots of 18 wheelers -- and poor traffic design. All in all I recommend this hotel -- but beware aggressive maids, and bring your own coffee!

• Liked — the down pillows and the nice receptionist
  • Disliked — the terrible coffee and the pushy maid
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Knoxville, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2008

I didn't go to a Comfort Inn expecting 5-star luxury or thrills. just a simple, clean, quiet place to sleep. My mom called to book the room ahead of time and she was quoted a rate of $139.

That is outrageous for this type of hotel in this area. The room should have been more like $55 or so. For this reason, my mom used her Choice Privileges credit card points to pay for the room. I should also mention that the hotel was nowhere near booked to capacity. There were only three or four other groups of people staying there. I am still confused about their reasoning behind the high price.

To begin with, everything appeared to be OK. Check-in was easy and fast. The room wasn't terrible. It was very basic, as I expected. I was pleased to see that it had a refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker.

Upon closer inspection, I noticed the room was not that clean. It was supposed to be a non-smoking room, but there was a cigarette burn on one of the skanky comforters. There was also some sort of mold around the bottom of the toilet. Everything was starting to show some age. The TV and furnishings were a bit dated. The ice machine in the hallway was filthy. I have uploaded a photo of it.

The plumbing was extremely noisy and the faucet in the bathtub was bend (I have also uploaded a photo of this).

After checking out the room, my aunt and I decided to go to the lobby for some coffee and tea. The lights in the area where they keep the hot drinks were out. We were not even sure if it was open. The surly woman at the front desk told us that it was open and there was in fact coffee available. I sampled the coffee and it was obviously from that morning (it was about 7PM). The pot of hot water was completely empty. We wound up taking a couple tea bags and heating up some water in the room.

As we left the breakfast/coffee area, the woman at the front desk told us to turn the lights back out! I'm not sure how other guests would know about that area being open. I also wanted to request a check-out time of one hour later, but the woman said my mom would have to do it because she was the one with the credit card. I thought that was a bit silly, but whatevs.

The next morning, we expected the breakfast bar to be open until 10. You'd think that it would be on a Sunday morning. It wasn't. They had already put all the breakfast items away by 9:30 or so.

This place sucks. My mom is going to call Choice Privileges to get her credit card points back. We're also planning on contacting AAA. They displayed an AAA approval sign, but I don't think anyone from AAA has inspected this place lately. I think my pictures speak for themselves. I would avoid this place like the plague. All of the hotels in Newport are getting old. I'd suggest staying in another town if you're just passing through.

• Liked — The fact that I only had to stay one night
  • Disliked — The dirt and lack of breakfast
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Comfort Inn Newport? Share your experiences!