“Cozy & relaxing” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Newport B&B and Inns
Smyrna, Georgia, United States
“Cozy & relaxing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I spent a few days at Christopher Place this past fall on a solo trip, and I had a fantastic time! It's a great long weekend getaway for stressed out Atlanta professionals like myself.

Some of my favorite things:
- The food. Oh my, those breakfasts are sinful and keep you full all the way to dinner. And speaking of dinner, it too was phenomenal on the one night I chose to indulge...worth the extra $40 in my opinion. The staff was also kind enough to bring that dinner to my room...this single gal appreciated the courtesy!
- The view. I could sit for hours on the back porch.
- The coziness. From the warm and inviting library to the fireplace and comfortable bed in my carriage house room, everything just made me want to snuggle up and never leave.
- The proximity to Gatlinburg and Asheville. This B&B is perfectly located between the two cities. Also close to good hiking.

The only thing keeping this from a 5 star review are just a few minor things. Yes, the ladybugs were everywhere as some other review mentioned, but they're kind of cute and they don't bite...there were just so many. But to their credit, they were spraying to get rid of them while I was there. Also, I did have a very slow drain in my shower which I reported at breakfast the first morning but was not fixed during my stay. And finally, I did not realize that 'formal dinner' meant just that...formal. I learned of the dress code when I got there. I suppose maybe I should have realized this, but it might be nice to explicitly state that on the website (maybe I overlooked it?) so that guests bring appropriate attire. It would be a shame to miss out on those delicious dinners!

Room Tip: I stayed in the carriage house and loved it! Very cozy and private.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I would recommend this place to anyone. The entire experience has so far been incredible. Staff is very friendly and professional. Owner is awesome. He happened to be there when we checked in and upgraded our suite to their best suite, The Roman Holiday. Just incredible. Food is awesome...views are breath taking. Would definitely return here every year if we can.

• Stayed March 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

Great place to stay. Peaceful and pretty views. Staff was very nice. Great amenities including a great collection of DVDs to choose from. We initially stayed in the Sir Charles room which is really nice with a great hot tub however in the morning, there is a cardinal that taps at the bedroom window starting at 7am. Because we are not early risers, this did not work for us so we asked to be placed in a different room. The staff was very nice and understanding and immediately placed us in the Camelot room which was great with amazing views of the mountains! The breakfast and dinner was great. If you want to have a meal somewhere close by, a resturant called Thhe Front Porch has excellent food and is 10 minutes away in Cosby. We would definitely come back to stay here.

• Stayed February 2013
Marston72, Manager at Christopher Place Resort, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Thank you for your kind review - funny how that Cardinal wants to see what all the fuss is inside the house! We appreciate you giving us the opportunity to shift your room and ensure you have a good nights sleep. We always seek to ensure our guests have a wonderful stay.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Inn for one night and we loved it. We were greeted immediately by the staff and even though we checked in early our room was ready for us. We actually got an upgrade!!! The formal dinner and breakfast in bed was amazing. We are from the city and enjoyed the peaceful surroundings and welcoming staff. Thanks for making our first trip to the mountains memorable. Great getaway for those who want to experience The Great Smokey Mtn in style.

• Stayed January 2013
Marston72, Owner at Christopher Place Resort, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Thank you for your stay and so happy you were able to enjoy your first B&B experience with us. We love to surprise our guess with early check-ins and upgrades! Just doing the little things are what makes our location so special and how we ensure each guest has a great experience.
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We recently stayed 2 nights at the Inn and everyone was friendly and accommodating. We had such a nice stay only 1 hour from home. Meals were great, the hiking on the property was challenging and gorgeous. The staff was all great!

Room Tip: We enjoyed the room in above the Carriage House. We had a wood burning fireplace and a hot tub in o...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed two nights and loved it! This was our first time at a B&B and I have to say that I did not know what to expect. I am sold!!!! The staff was polite, the food was amazing, the entire property was very clean, welcoming, and relaxing. My husband and I had plans to go to dinner in Gatlinburg and shop...we never left the resort. We took the hike that is there at the property and relaxed all day. It was absolutely perfect. We will return once the pool opens. Trust me you will not be disappointed. I was very impressed and I will be back for sure!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Montgomery, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed at Christopher Place in late December for 4 days. The view from CP is really striking: the Smoky Mountains are in full evidence from all of the back windows, and from a number of the rooms. CP is quite far from the main road, so it's very quiet, and CP has a "quiet" policy asking the guests to keep it quiet after 10 AM. The staff are very friendly and unobtrusive, and the breakfast food was quite excellent. We enjoyed sitting in the 1st floor lounge/bar (which has a nice fireplace) and using the comfortable game room on the 3rd floor (which has a pool table and a bunch of board games). We used one of the "get one free day" certificates obtained by buying one of the Inn guides (see http://store.iloveinns.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AHI24), which helped make the stay affordable. All in all, we really enjoyed our time there.

That said, we had a few problems with the two different rooms we stayed in:

• The room we had reserved, the Margaret Room, is on the third floor. The room is enormous, with a nice bed and nice furnishings, and it has a wonderful view of the mountains. However, there's a closet in the room that houses one of CP's main heating units, and when the heating unit is running (which in cooler days is all of the time), there's a loud throbbing hum in the room that's especially loud in the bathroom, plus the whole room has a vibration to some degree. The vibrating hum isn't constant; it varies, and it was especially loud at night (it's substantially more noticeable than the kind of thing you hear in a hotel that has one of those older heating units near the window). We stuck it out the first night, but it was hard to sleep through and would have made it hard to enjoy the room during the day. The next day, we asked to switch rooms, which they gracefully let us do (they moved us to a more expensive room, but didn't charge us an increased rate), and they acknowledged that we weren't the first ones to have some trouble with the noise/vibration. We know it is the kind of thing that might not bother some people and would bother others a lot. The staff told us that the other third floor room would probably have the same noise/vibration issue.

• We were switched to the Lion's Den, a room on the first floor. This room was also well decorated, and spacious, and features a hot tub as well as two separate sinks/toilets. The bed was quite comfortable too. However, this room had a few quirks: 1) Before we switched into the room, we were told that a few of the hot tub's jets weren't working, but when we tried turning on the jets, a foul odor quickly emerged, kind of like sewage. We mentioned this to the staff and they said it was because the water is partially sulfuric, but that didn't make sense to us because the smell didn't happen when the water was in the tub; it only happened when the jets were running. We figured the jets probably hadn't been cleaned and had some stale/fouled water in them. 2) The hot water in the shower didn't last even a full minute (there was no similar problem with either the hot tub or the sink faucets). When asked, the staff indicated an awareness of this problem but said they were having trouble fixing it because the floor was concrete, which made it difficult to get under the floor to fix the water problems. This problem made the shower very difficult to use (there wasn't even enough time to wash shampoo out of one's hair). 3) For one of the sinks in the bathroom, only scalding hot water would come out; it was impossible to get cold water from it. In talking to the staff, we determined this was also a known issue, but it obviously wasn't a huge deal because there was another sink we could use.

Room Tip: Be warned regarding the sounds issues for the 3rd floor rooms, and the water issues for the Lion'...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
MarstonPrice, Owner at Christopher Place Resort, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
We are so happy you enjoyed the wonderful view, the quiet surroundings in the mountains, and the common guest areas. And we were happy to upgrade your stay to Lion's Den. We appreciate the information regarding the bathroom and have subsequently addressed them. We do hope you return to enjoy another quiet escape with us!

Been to Christopher Place Resort? Share your experiences!