“Beautiful views and an awesome staff.” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   1500 Pinnacles Way, Newport, TN 37821   |
Special Rate
$175 (USD)
Ranked #1 of 1 Newport B&B and Inns
“Beautiful views and an awesome staff.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011 via mobile

My wife and I were looking for a quiet getaway and we are so happy we found Christopher Place. It's a beautiful house on 60 acres with an amazing view of the mountains.
It is a very romantic place to go if you want to get away from the tourist traps
of Gatlinburg while still being close enough to enjoy the shopping.

• Stayed December 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Fairborn, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

My husband and I went to Gatlinburg 34 years ago for our honeymoon. As a young teacher and bank teller that was all we could afford. We love the area and have taken our family back many times; using motels, tent camping in Cades Cove, and staying in cabins later in life.

I never considered a B & B because of the expense. When I saw the Groupon, I thought, let's try this for our 34th anniversary. I know we chose a slow week, both at the Inn and in town also, and that was fine by me!

I wish we could have stayed longer. The Papaws Suite was fabulous although we were not on the mountain side, we saw plenty of the mountains. The weather wasn't good (but we weren't tent camping in 18 hours of rain so I wasn't complaining, some things are just what they are). I loved the laid back attitude of the staff and meeting the owner right there. The food was great, we talked a little about history, and I talked to the staff while they were finishing off decorating for the coming weekend, when things would pick up.

The most interesting part of our trip was the last night when we were ALL ALONE in the inn. Marston went down to his house and there was no staff there and no other occupants. That was an odd feeling, listening to the "sounds" of the house. My husband went downstairs to check on one sound and found it was the freezer, sounds just like we have at home!

I am a social being, but for this time, I liked the quiet and aloneness, yet if we asked a question, the staff engaged with us. We enjoyed them very much. I also appreciated being trusted with being there on their property while they were all gone.

Vienna, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

The Living Social coupon for Christopher Place was one of the first "daily deals" that I bought. Work was demanding with 12 hour days for over a year, and the only way I made it through it was to each day look at one of the "escapes" and fantasize about being there for a few minutes. I wasn't able to get away to make that fantasy come true for several months, but Christopher Place was definitely the place to do it. It is in an incredibly beautiful setting...the Smokie Mountains...with a view (the 2nd week of Nov) of the mountains with the beautiful changing leaves. Upon our arrival the weather was moderate enough to sit on the porch and rock while drinking our complementary bottle of wine (very tasty!). We were joined by another couple and spent an enjoyable couple of hours chatting, enjoying the company, the wine and the view. We had elected to eat in the first night. While a bit pricy, it was worth it..excellent meal, and we didnt have to drive up the mountain road in the dark. Our first night was in the Secret Garden. No view, but a large alcove room that was exactly what I needed to truly relax. I napped (and I never nap!) on the divan in one of the alcoves, feeling nestled in a den and very cozy. I felt like I had spent a day in a spa, totally relaxed. Marston, the owner, moved us to a view room the next day since there had been a cancellation. While I am glad we had the Secret Garden coziness the first night, it was wonderful to move into Margaret's Room with all the amenities. And since it was right next door, it was little effort. Things of note: although the trails are right outside the courtyard, there is plenty to do at Christopher place, in good weather or bad. The mountain air and views eventually tell you that a nap would be great. There is croquet in the mountain view, and other lawn games, there is a pool table, i think I recall foosball, large screen tv with tons of movies, books, and every board game ever invented. The breakfasts are delightful, with tables for 2 but plenty of socializing between the tables. The staff is warm and kind and very helpful. I have been plagued with arthritis and am now walking with a cane....so the elevator was just the ticket for me. We also elected to eat in the second night...and on reflection I think I would recommend the casual dining in the pub/library. The second night was a steak on stone ground grits....any grits are a challenge for this northerner, but those were really not to our taste. And the steak didn't require the skill in preparation that the previous night's chicken had entailed. We did leave the grounds to explore the nearby towns and countryside, but I would have probably been happier just following my initial instinct and curling up in the library with a book.

Room Tip: Suites and rooms on the back have a view of the mountains however on the second floor the porch...op...
Belleville, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

This was a beautiful location. We stayed in Margaret's Room. It was a huge room with big bed and updated shower. The views from Christopher Place are fantastic. We had the optional dinner one night and it was delicious. Breakfast was good too. The only awkward moment was when I was walking up to the building and came upon the manager repremanding an employee. He saw me and just kept right on going.

Indianapolis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

Not quite what we had hoped for based on glowing reviews, but worth the half-price Groupon we had. Good breakfast and nice views. Complimentary bottle of wine was very good. Chairs in room were very comfortable. However, Camelot room bed was harder than either of us cared for and this sparsely-decorated inn lacked in the little things that make a B&B great- like an entry desk or someone to greet you without going into the kitchen to ask for help and big fluffy bath towels (I'm not very big and even I found these small). Shower-only bath in general was not very nice. So- overall, we had a decent stay, but were glad we hadn't paid full price.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Marston72, Owner at Christopher Place Resort, responded to this review, November 7, 2011
Thank you for finding us through our great deals offered with Groupon. We are happy you enjoyed the views, dining, and wine list. We pride ourselves of offering guests a beautiful location with fine antiques. Certainly not every room appeals to each guest and so each room is uniquely decorated with pictures online allowing our guests to select the room that appeals most to them. Camelot offers some of the most amazing views of the Smoky Mountains and we have purposely chosen not to interfere with that view. Our staff is always here, but we choose to be in the background, allowing you to enjoy the time with your travel partner. Again, this may not appeal to all guests, but we have found the majority of our guests prefer our policy of not being intrusive.
Mn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

The staff, location, view and food were incomparable. The staff is friendly, caring, always there when you needed something, yet unobtursive. Our first trip to the Smokies, what a beautiful part of the world. There is a hiking trail that starts right behind the resort and climbs to the top of the bluff. The hiking in the park itself was outstanding.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

My husband and I stayed in the Lion's Den room! What an amazing room! The view, food, and staff were all amazing! We will be back!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Christopher Place Resort? Share your experiences!