“Gorgeous decor, tiny beds, a little snotty” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Union Station Hotel, Autograph Collection

Save Saved
You added Union Station Hotel, Autograph Collection to your Saves list
Union Station Hotel, Autograph Collection
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1001 Broadway, Nashville, TN 37203 (Formerly Union Station - A Wyndham Historic Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #26 of 150 hotels in Nashville
Cincinnati, OH
“Gorgeous decor, tiny beds, a little snotty”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

Maybe snotty is not the right word... Here's what happened. We booked through priceline, and the hotel obviously knows this, so the room they gave us was TINY and on the upper level along the roofline where the walls are slanted. There was barely space to walk in this room or its bathroom. Not to mention, the bed was a DOUBLE! Not good and definitely not expected from such a nice (and normally very pricey) hotel. I'm pretty sure they reserve these rooms for priceline customers only. When we asked to switch to a bit larger room, they did so. The room we ended up in was a little bit larger (with a fairly large bathroom). Still a double bed. So, we called the desk and asked if they had a bigger bed available and of course they said "No". Now, this was not a busy weekend for visiting Nashville, and not exactly in the busy season, so I'm pretty sure there was a room available and that they wouldn't allow us a bigger room because of priceline. Hence, a bit snotty. For me, just the tiny bed is not worth staying in a fancy hotel, however nice it may otherwise be.

However, despite the smaller than any couple can comfortably sleep in bed, the room was absolutely gorgeous. There were very large windows, so it had plenty of light (and wonderful black-out blinds), beautiful cabinetry, granite counters, etc, etc. Also, the bedding was incredibly soft & luxurious. The water pressure was extremely low, but I'm just being picky. I highly recommend this hotel to those who are willing to pay the normal prices, but otherwise beware of the consequences. Oh yes, and the one thing I really don't enjoy about higher end hotels (call me a hillbilly) is the lack of a continental breakfast. Especially in Nashville where you couldn't find a coffee shop to save your life.

Also, there was no free parking. You either get valet ($22/night+tip), or a pay lot ($15/night). I think that this is pretty normal for a downtown hotel. As for location, it was within about 5 blocks of all the nightlife downtown, and probably ~10 blocks (not really walking distance) down the road from Vanderbilt/Centennial Park.

547 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

What an AMAZING hotel!! From the front of the hotel all the way through....absolute gorgeous. Staff were EXTREMELY friendly and helpful! Room was VERY SPACIOUS and LOVELY! Will definitely stay here again whenever visiting Nashville!

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Detroit
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2009

The building it's self is beautifully restored, but I don't go to hotels to hang out in the lobby. We reserved and got a corner room, that was supposed to be bigger and better than most. The room was just your average Hilton room, with about three feet of wasted space that wrapped around the very noisy elevator. The useable space in the room was filled with a queen bed, which the bell boy tried to convince us was a king, after lingering in our room for twenty minutes explaining how the phone and tv worked. ( By the way, they were normal appliances, a three year old could have worked.)

The sheets, and shower were dirty, if I'm staying in a hotel that clams to be as good as this one does, I expect clean sheets and a clean shower.

This is nothing but an over priced hotel, and my husband and I will not be staying here in October when we pass back through town.

Raleigh, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2009

My husband & I enjoyed our romantic stay at the Union Station. The hotel itself is unique and simply breathtaking. We stayed in one of the suites on the 6th floor, facing the train tracks. Yes, there are trains. Yes, some (not all, not even close to all) can be loud; expect this & come prepared. My husband (who is a light sleeper & sometimes can't sleep) wore earplugs at night for this reason. The hotel is located on the same street that carries you into downtown where all the main clubs are, and is within walking distance! Our suite was HUGE, and decorated in an "old-hollywood-meets-modern" flare. We loved the room's high ceilings; the large windows and the two TV's ~ that came in very handy. The staff were very friendly, helpful, and attentive. The only complaint I have is regarding a wedding that took place on Sunday. The reception itself was spread throughout the entire lobby of the hotel. Our room was on the opposite side of where the main entrance (and our car) was, and since we didn't want to walk through the tables & wedding reception, we had to go back up to the 4th floor, walk around to the other side of the hotel just to get to the exit; instead of a straight shot through the lobby. Yes, this is a small issue, however, I don't think the people who are paying money to stay at the hotel should be inconvenienced by people who probably are not staying there. Other than that, we enjoyed the stay, the room, and the staff!

Houston, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2009

This is an amazing and beautiful hotel. The lobby is gorgeous. We had dinner and breakfast in the restuarant. It's pricey but the food was worth every penny. The room was very posh. The mattres was incredible. This hotel has done an incredible job modernizing while staying true to its history. The staff here is friendly, accomodating and helpful. All of them simply seemed so happy. I could go on and on, but this hotel has all of the amenties of your typical five star. Its a long uphill walk back to the hotel from the music scene. However, a cab was $4 and easy to find.

Perfect stay. I felt absolutely pampered.

Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Las Vegas, Nevada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

This review is long, but it's important to know before you go.

We stayed at Union Station for one night during a road trip. The first seven minutes of our stay were spectacular! We pulled into valet and were instantly greeted by Paul. He was so gracious and welcomed us enthusiastically. He asked my husband for his name and began a brief chat about our stay. He was so pleasant and directed us inside, telling us our bags would be brought to the room, and to call his extension whenever we needed the car. Upon entering the hotel we were greeted at the desk by name and handed our keys...breeziest check-in ever! The hotel lobby was as incredible as everyone has said. We headed to the elevator to our room 717. While walking to the room, my husband said, "The next time we come back to Nashville, we will definitely stay here!" The room looked very nice; however, based on other Tripadvisor reviews, we had requested a room away from the tracks when we made our reservation. This room was on the rear corner directly over the tracks. Since we had a very long drive ahead of us the next day, we all needed to get a sound night's sleep. I called down to the desk and asked if there was another room available based upon our original request. The attendant at the desk said he did have one other room that was much quieter, and assured us that this was a "beautiful and comfortable room". We headed to the elevator we had just come up, and pressed the down button. The button didn't stay lit, but the door never opened. After a third time, a hotel employee who was also waiting for the elevator said, "It does this sometimes. The breaker must have blown...do you know where the other elevator is?" When we said we didn't, she had someone escort us through the hotel maze to another elevator. This employee told us how the hotel hallways didn't all connect, and that all of the elevators didn't go to every floor. We made it to the lobby again to get the new room keys. This "quiet comfortable room" was 201. As other reviews have said...the main floor is level 3. This meant that 201 was below the lobby. We took the stairs down one level to the second floor. THE MAZE AGAIN...none of the signs said 201. We walked aimlessly looking for someone or some wall sign to direct us. After several minutes on the second floor, an employee told us she would take us through to the other side on a "one time pass." She led my husband, 12 year old son and me through a basement kitchen area to the other side of the hotel. It was very dark and not pleasant smelling on this floor. It felt like we were in a basement. Our luggage was on the cart in the hallway outside of 201. The room was in the corner next to an open storage room filled with microphones and sound equipment. The bellman, Joey, was there to assist and brought in our bags. As he did, he gave us some wonderful recommendations for dinner and next morning breakfast. The room had the same bedding and furnishings as the first room, but that is about all we could tell of the "recent renovations". The walls were filthy with marks...whatever. But there were several holes, presumably from nails. And there were so many patches of recently spackled or plastered marks on the walls that were never painted. It looked as if this room was still mid-remodel. The desk was very dusty as well. In every hotel, I always check the beds for signs of bugs...you can never be too careful. I didn't find those, but I did find other things. Out of the 8 pillows on the 2 beds...I pulled 4 with dirty pillow cases. One had some crusty stains. Two had small set-in stains, and one had a large brown stain the size of a fifty cent piece. I have NEVER asked to change rooms in a hotel...but after this, I called the front desk and asked a second time for a new room. The attendant politely said he would call back because he didn't want to leave me on hold. A few moments later there was a knock at the door. "Housekeeping." A woman, obviously a supervisor and another man came into the room. They said they would be moving us to a new room, but they wanted to see what was wrong with this room. I showed her the pillows, the desk, and just the room in general. Wyndham should be embarrassed to charge for a room like this. The housekeeping supervisor said that we would have a new room, but that it wasn't quite ready. It was well after 5pm. We asked if the bags could just be taken to the new room, and we went to dinner.
After returning from dinner, we received keys to the new room. The room was again on the 7th floor, but away from the tracks. We overlooked the front lot of the hotel now. It was fine mostly. The only real issue with this room was the way it was set up. The pillar in the middle of the room blocks the view of the TV, so if you wanted to lie in bed and watch the news or a movie, this is not the right room...For sleeping one night, it would do.

I have to say that I was so looking forward to staying in this hotel. The service was very good. I especially have to commend Paul and Joey. They were certainly the bright spot in our stay. The recommendations and assistance they provided was above expectation. We also had a drink in the lounge, which was nice. The server there was also pleasant.

My husband has since amended his initial reaction..."the next time we come back to Nashville, we will definitely NOT stay here!"

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Richmond, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2009

I found this hotel to be elegant yet modern. The building appears to be made of stone and opnce was a train station. Now some caution, one side of the hotel faces six active running lines of train tracks. This meant ongoing nose all the time. The front desk efficiently handled a room relocation the other side of the building. This room was absolute quite.

Food is good, location is excellent. A bit on the expensive side but that comes with the beaty the facility offers.

Stayed June 2009, traveled on business

Been to Union Station Hotel, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!