“Great easy access hotel!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Union Station Hotel, Autograph Collection

You added Union Station Hotel, Autograph Collection to your Saves list
Union Station Hotel, Autograph Collection
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1001 Broadway, Nashville, TN 37203 (Formerly Union Station - A Wyndham Historic Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #29 of 149 Hotels in Nashville
Napa
“Great easy access hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

The hotel itself was really great. We were there over a weekend and there was a wedding which was really fun to see. The entire lobby is breathtaking and set up for people watching. The location is very easy and off the freeway as well as walking distance to downtown. We did take some taxi's but most of the time it was not necessary. The room was a typical hotel room. Nothing really AMAZING but nice, clean and we had no noise issues. The only thing I didn't like was there was no pool. The only pool in the entire downtown that we found was at the Omni. Regardless, it didn't really make our stay any less fun and beautiful. It really is a lovely hotel, inside and out.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

The Union Station is a very fine hotel. The restoration is impressive and it is worth staying there for the building. We stayed there for 3 nights and I want to say that the valet attendants and door men and women were all pretty brilliant people. My problem was with those who handled our specific requests and the front desk staff. I had requested weeks before we arrived for a rollaway bed in our suite. I had not received a response. I then called up 2 days before we arrived only to be patched up to central reservations. I called again and explained in exasperation I needed to talk to someone at the hotel. The man was terse and said they could try. It is true that we requested a high floor (not met at all) and away from the tracks with the working trains (request met). I know that each room and suite are different but knowing I needed a rollaway bed - request at the front desk asked again - the receptionist, a dour woman, who couldn't crack a smile - put us in what must be the smallest suite with definitely no room for a rollaway bed. Remember that I have to ask on 3 occasions. In that small suite, to put one there would have been impossibly uncomfortable. We made do with the couch (an inconvenience of course). If they could not provide a rollaway bed in a suite, they could have told me earlier and I would have booked elsewhere in Nashville - after all, the request was put in online more than a week's notice and I received no response. We were put on the 4th floor - in a room with the worst air-conditioning system that was so loud that it reminded one of having a washer dryer constantly going. When I complained, the front desk people were not helpful or sympathetic. They offered to send someone over but it's not fixable. It's the problem of having a loud unit in too small a space. It is an infrastructural flaw. Furthermore, the windows were filthy outside and you couldn't see anything. Actually, the valet attendants and door people could teach the front desk some lessons in courtesy and attentive service. When we checked out, it was the same dour woman who couldn't be bothered to even smile or wished us safe travels. It felt like she couldn't wait to kick us out. She didn't ask about my issues and if they were resolved which in other distinguished hotels I have always received follow up calls and so on. In fact, unlike my experience at other very fine hotels, the reception and management NEVER bothered to follow up my complaints. Also given the average traveler with multiple devices to plug in, looking for a plug in the suite was impossible (one at the desk). If ever in Nashville again, I would stay at the Omni or The Hermitage (great restaurant in it too - Capitol Grill). The Union Station is a fail for Marriott.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Melanie F, Area Director/Marketing at Union Station Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Dear Artloveruk, thank you for sharing your comments on your recent stay. We were very pleased that you enjoyed the beauty and ambiance of this historic building and that our valet and bell service team provided you with a sincere welcome and the service you expect and deserve. Our apologies that your pre-arranged items were not prepared for you on arrival and that our front desk team did not respond quickly and kindly to your request and needs throughout your stay. We are sorry that the guest room did not live up to your expectations and that our team was unable to correct the situation. We take pride in our hotel and especially the guest experience and quality of the rooms and your comments have been shared with our leadership and action taken to ensure we correct these issues. We hope to have another opportunity to serve you and provide the experience you expect from the Union Station Hotel.

Kingsport, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

My husband surprised me with this stay. I had always wanted to stay at Union Station, and he is a Marriott Platinum member. So when it became a Marriott property, he secretly made our reservations for our next Nashville trip at Union Station. The stay there was delightful. It remains a trail station, so it was like staying in a historic place. Very neat. We had a good room on the 2nd floor. The only problem is that I do not sleep soundly, and the second floor had not ceiling; is was open to the train station. So voice was present all night. That sort of drove me crazy. Not a great night's sleep, just because of the noise that drifted into the room.

Room Tip: I loved the historic nature of the hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

I am a Marriott Platinum rewards member - just want to say that up front.

We stayed here during the CMA festival - so it was not cheap.

We arrived and were promptly greeted by the valet and doormen. We had a wonderful check in experience. The architecture of the building and lobby is breathtaking, and the location is a 5-10 minute walk to the Broadway area - though the walk is not for the faint-hearted as its pretty hilly in the neighborhood. The property charges $8 per day for internet (unless you are Marriott Rewards status member) and parking is $30 per day - more than I pay with Marriott in larger metro areas!!

On check-in, though, we were disappointed to hear the hotel does not have a concierge lounge. I had called ahead and asked if the hotel had a lounge, and the person told me they do. Unfortunately they meant the hotel has a bar. Honestly we would have booked at the Renaissance downtown had we known as we generally like to stay in Marriott's with concierge lounges.

The hotel itself is a bit like a maze - it can be hard to find your room or elevator at times. Of course this is due to the fact the hotel is an old train station.

The room was big and had nice skylights with a view of the downtown area - we were on the top floor. I read where some people's rooms were in the basement, but fortunately I did not have this issue. Moreover, the AC was not loud in my room. As I said, the room was large, and had plenty of space even with a king sized bed. There was plenty of seating and storage space, and the bathroom was large and amenities nice. The room lends well to the ambiance of the property - classic style meets contemporary quality.

We had a few issues with the room, though. First, the closet was EXTREMELY small - if you have a great bit of luggage, you wont have much space to store it. Second, there is no refrigerator in the room. Thirdly, and this is going to seem nitpicky, the showerhead in the bathrooms need to be changed. They are super cheap and are not in line with the overall quality of the hotel or what I have had at other Marriott branded hotels. Something out of a 50s gym locker room.

Be warned - this is an old train station - there is still an active track behind the hotel, so there is some train noise to be expected. I sleep like a rock, so it did not bother me. If you are a light sleeper, you may want to sleep elsewhere.

The hotel had a nice morning coffee service in the lobby, though. I am not sure if this is the norm, but at least during the CMAs it was. The bar was not bad - it was reasonably priced and the staff were generally nice. We ate breakfast at the lobby restaurant. Food and service were both top notch (and on higher end of breakfast prices).

Otherwise our stay was ok. With a bit more attention to detail, stays here could be more enjoyable. If you are more into modern amenities, you may want to stay elsewhere. But if you enjoy historic architecture and can get a room here at a reasonable rate, it is a good place to stay.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Melanie F, Area Director/Marketing at Union Station Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Dear bojislayer, first of all, thank you for your loyalty to Marriott and for taking the time to share this review about your recent stay with us. We appreciate that you enjoyed the beauty and architecture of this historic building and that you received a warm and sincere welcome from our valet and front desk teams. Our apologies that we are not able to provide a concierge lounge but hope you enjoyed the morning and evening amenities offered each day in the lobby. We are pleased that you found Prime 108’s food and service top notch and will share this with our team members. Your feedback regarding the room layout, lack of a refrigerator and the showerhead have been shared with leadership as guest comments are extremely important to us as we strive to provide the best guest experience possible. We hope your travels bring you back to Nashville and you will give us the opportunity to make the next visit your best.

York, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

On our arrival we were met by the valet guys who were very helpful and professional, we walked into the main building and it was beautiful and quite breathtaking. Reception staff were also helpful and welcoming. We were taken to our subterranean room - really a BASEMENT room!!! It was small, dark and definitely not what I was expecting for the hiked prices that we were charged due to the CMA fest being on in town. The beds were so small, most unexpected for stateside. We were fresh in from England and this was the start point of our vacation. It wasn't long into our sleep when we were woken by the air conditioning which was so noisy every time it came on, then what sounded like a helicopter overhead and we realised we were sleeping next to the rail road line! The following morning after a less than peaceful nights rest we were moved to the other side of the subterranean floor, still a less than pleasant room, horrendously loud air con and the rumble of the rail road, due to the fact we were on the same level as it. We booked 5 nights here and on the Sunday evening decided to have a night cap before getting an early night in preparation for our onward trip. We were greeted by the bar man with 'you've got 15 minutes, I'm closing'! Two other couples followed us in to the same welcome and totally unlike anything else I've ever experienced in 'hospitality America' this guys attitude was appalling to the point it became amusing. We were served our drinks and then he proceeded to spray the table around us all, making us feel totally uncomfortable, so ourselves and the other 2 couples moved to the lobby to finish our drinks. I was so disappointed to have spent so much money and feel that it was totally not worth it at all. Great having the CMA festival on and hiking up your room rates but you need to improve these rooms to justify the spike in rates.

Room Tip: Probably choose another hotel
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Melanie F, Area Director/Marketing at Union Station Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Dear Arizona Sky, thank you for sharing feedback on your recent stay. We were delighted that you enjoyed the beauty and architecture of this historic building and that you received a warm welcome from our staff. Please accept our apologies that the guest room you stayed in did not meet the expectations you expect and that we are committed to providing. This historic building does provide unique opportunities for accommodations and intermittent train noise. We are sorry that due to the high demand of CMA Music Fest we did not have the flexibility to move you to another area of the building. It is also regretful that the service in the lounge was not top-notch and your comments have been shared with leadership so that we can continue to improve every guest experience.
If your travels bring you back to Nashville we hope you will give us the opportunity to provide different accommodations and the quality experience you expect.

Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

Impressive lobby in this former train station, nice staff, good location.

Ended up with a small bed and a small room with one desk chair. We must have been near a major ventilation duct - it was noisy. Otherwise the room was very nice.

Why is it that economy chain motels can offer parking, breakfast (OK, not usually the best) and wifi at no extra charge and the more cushy hotels charge for all of these? In this case parking - $30 a night, breakfast in the lobby restaurant - easily $15 to $20 per person (more steel cut oats than anyone can or should eat). $8 for in room Wifi - free in the lobby business room - just annoying.

Room Tip: We had a room facing Northwest near the middle of that wing. The railroad tracks are on the Southwe...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Melanie F, Area Director/Marketing at Union Station Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Dear Neil, thank you sharing your comments on your recent stay with us. We appreciate that you found the room to be pleasant and apologize for any inconvenience due to noise. For guest convenience we offer complimentary services including coffee and pastries in the morning and infused water and treats in the afternoon as well as complimentary wi-fi in the lobby and sorry you were unaware or unable to utilize these services. If you travels bring you back to Nashville, we hope you will return and enjoy the quality experience your expect and deserve.

Perryville, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We stayed at this property over Memorial Day Weekend. The minute we pulled up we were met with very professional valet attendants and doorman. They were excellent and remained so all weekend. The front desk staff was friendly but seemed rushed. The hotel itself is absolutely beautiful and each room is different. Our room was nothing special and in my view not worth $287 per night without all the taxes. It was clean and the floor lamp did not work but was fixed after reporting it. We did not eat in the hotel but did have a drink in the bar which is very nice. Kudo's to the concierge for being very professional and friendly. Paying $30 a day to park is just too much with the price of the room.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Union Station Hotel, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!