“Beautiful but very noisy” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Union Station Hotel, Autograph Collection

Save Saved
You added Union Station Hotel, Autograph Collection to your Saves list
Union Station Hotel, Autograph Collection
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1001 Broadway, Nashville, TN 37203 (Formerly Union Station - A Wyndham Historic Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #22 of 150 hotels in Nashville
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
“Beautiful but very noisy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

This hotel is one of the most beautiful buildings I have ever stayed in. The rooms were clean and staff was very friendly and helpful. Thing to know: some rooms do not have doors on the bathroom! Also, the hotel is extremely noisy, the building is old so the walls are paper thin. You cannot even speak at a normal level without everyone hearing your every word. Also, they were having a wedding during our stay but that wasn't as noisy as people just simply walking down the hallway. If you are a heavy sleeper this is the place for you. Beautiful building but very noisy.

Room Tip: Try to get a room far from an elevator as the walls are paper thin.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

499 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Beautiful hotel well located for a 10 minute stroll down Broadway to bars and clubs. A bit on the expensive side if using the restauraunt and room service was ridiculously priced. That said, you should expect to pay over the odds for the class of hotel so no point in complaining - just be warned.
The only poor area of service within the hotel was housekeeping. Departing the hotel at 09:30 in the morning and returning at 16:30 to find our room not serviced wasn't exactly pleasing but complaining to the front desk elicited the response - "they sometimes don't finish until 5pm" didn't exactly rock my boat. I was tired, hot and all I wanted was hot shower.
One other area for the wary traveller is that the hotel is an old railway station -and is situated by live working freight lines that can be noisy. A train whistle blasting away at 6am every morning may not be everyones cup of tea.
Bottom line - Nashville is a terific vacation spot and the Union Staion is in a perfect location - oh, and the beds were one of the most comfortable I have ever experienced in any hotel worldwide.

Room Tip: Bar prices are on the high side of ridiculous - use the pub situated right next to the hotel. Lots...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Melanie F, Marketing & PR Director at Union Station Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you for your review of your recent experience at our hotel. I am sorry that there were some issues that you were not completely satisfied with. I thank you for bringing them up in your review as your feedback is one of the most important tools that allow us to improve the quality of our products and services. We will certainly use your comments to identify areas where we can improve our hospitality so that others do not share your experience.

Your business is extremely important to us and I sincerely hope that you give us another opportunity and consider returning again. In the meantime, if I can be of any assistance, please feel free to contact me. We are always listening to our guests!
Maryville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

This property has been well maintained and is absolutely gorgeous. The architectural elements are incredible. The front room still has the tile that was in place during WWI and WWII. It is absolutely breathtaking. The location is great. The sleep rooms are very well decorated, not in typical hotel or "Marriott" style. The room was quite spacious, and the color choice was quite calming. The bed linens were comfortable. The toiletry items were very nice. The only complaint that we had was in regard to our room location. We were placed in a tiny corner of the hotel that houses approximately four rooms on the ground level. From this location, lobby noise was easily heard. Being at ground level proved to be somewhat problematic as the hotel uses the patio/balcony area outside of these rooms for meetings, gatherings, etc. Let me just say that it is a GREAT area for those kinds of things. The fact that parents use that area as a baby sitter for their children created the greatest issue. There were children running up and down that area at 6:00 a.m. (No, I'm not kidding.) For a couple without children looking forward to a restful and refreshing weekend, this situation did not work well. I realize the burden is on the parents to be considerate; however, the hotel staff might want to consider monitoring that area a little more frequently. Overall, we truly enjoyed our stay at this property. It is by far the nicest Marriott property that we have stayed at in quite some time. I would recommend this property. I would caution the rooms at ground level. Be prepared to pay, what we considered, a hefty charge for parking. (The hotel we stayed at the following evening was about $10 cheaper for parking.) The hotel staff were excellent, very knowledgeable and quite helpful.

Room Tip: Consider rooms that are not on the ground level with the balcony/patio area outside.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Grand Junction, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

The location of Union Station is fabulous! You can work a few blocks and you're in the heart of downtown, which shouldn't be missed if you're visiting Nashville. Also within walking distance is the Country Music Hall of Fame, Fisk Art Institute, Bridgestone Arena, and Ryman Auditorium.
The hotel itself is a restored train station, it's very charming with a historic feel. The lobby is gorgeous with vaulted ceilings and stained glass. Which by the way, the lobby serves free coffee and homemade scones in the lobby every morning and iced tea and cookies in the afternoon. Rooms were nicely decorated, average size but nice high ceilings.
My only complaint was that there are still trains that run right by the hotel. This tends to get a little bit noisy if you have an outside room. We didn't sleep great the first night, but by the second we were semi used to the noise.

Room Tip: Ask for an interior room and you may not hear train noise at night.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

We only stayed for one night after being at the nearby Marriott Vanderbilt for work for the week. I was impressed by both the location and stature of the hotel. They did a great job converting a grand station to make it feel comfortable, unique, but still definitely a station. The lobby is pretty and I appreciated the cold drinks and nibbles placed out in the evening.

The check in was merely okay. Our room wasn't available at 3pm which is a shame as I'm a Gold member. We then found that our room was going to be on a low floor, next to the train tracks. As we left our bags to walk around Nashville, they said they would try to find us a better room. To their credit, they did - on the 6th floor, but still on the tracks. It was still noisy up there, but pretty cool to see a freight train at 2am. The room was well-appointed and comfortable. I assume each room is different and I liked how everything was fitted to the space. The bathroom was amazing, with a great shower and nice C.O.Bigelow products.

We ventured out and next door to a hotel is a great beer bar - Flying Saucer - you won't find a better selection anywhere else. So much to see and do, we had a great night out. Upon our return we ventured to the hotel bar for a night cap and realised how small it was. No local gin (Corsair) or beers which is a shame when Nashville has so many local offerings. Service was mediocre here.

In the morning we headed to the restaurant (Prime 101) for a great breakfast. It was pretty empty, but the service and the food were very nice.

If you want to try an individual and well-placed hotel whilst collecting some Marriott points, its definitely worth a go. With the Omni opening soon, Union Station might want to step up a little, though I'm not sure if the train noise "feature" can be resolved.

Room Tip: High floor, away from the train tracks.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
detroit
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

This property is beautiful and the staff well versed in high end customer care. They answered questions about the building and allowed me to wander around taking photos. This restored train station really appealed to my inner history buff. Gorgeous lobby and my room was lovely. I had booked my stay with the hope of extending to a second night after arrival. Unfortunately, someone had rented the ENTIRE hotel the next day for a private event. With a huge festival in town, I feared I would have nowhere to go. The manager not only found me a room at another high end hotel, but had them send a car over to pick me up. Couldn't have been happier.

• Stayed September 2013
Charleston, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Love the hotel. Have used it for meetings twice a year for several years now ... and it is a unique, historic and charming environment. Great service over a period of years, great food and amazing cathedral lobby. Limitations: parking (although nearby parking and valet). Hotel feels choppy but that's a function of being the ole train station. Low number of rooms (165 I think) and has limited meeting space but for the right group, this is the right place in Nashville. Grand hotel near the heart of Nashville. Very unique and grand experience.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Been to Union Station Hotel, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!