“RESERVATION & CONFIRMATION, YES...ROOM, NO!!!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Union Station Hotel, Autograph Collection

You added Union Station Hotel, Autograph Collection to your Saves list
Union Station Hotel, Autograph Collection
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1001 Broadway, Nashville, TN 37203 (Formerly Union Station - A Wyndham Historic Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #29 of 149 Hotels in Nashville
“RESERVATION & CONFIRMATION, YES...ROOM, NO!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

I spent a lot of time researching hotels and chose this one because it is a historic building. I booked a $347/night so our room would be great. I got a call asking what time we would be in, but I couldn't answer because we had just arrived at the airport,was driving and navigating on my phone. When we arrived, I was stopped at the door saying there was no room available for us along with a letter offering a free room & a map to another Marriott. I wanted a nice room in a nice hotel, not a free room in a bad one. Then, I realized they probably sold my room because it was past 8:00, even though the manager told me it was a maintenance issue. Tossed the letter and went to The Hermitage Hotel instead. Try that hotel instead.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
McLean, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

As other reviewers have noted, the rooms on the upper floors have high ceilings and the room i had was really spacious. A word of caution, there are floors below ground and I asked to be switched because mine felt really claustrophobic. Even though I stayed in the front of the hotel, away from the railroad tracks, I still heard trains all night long--and I'm not a light sleeper. The trains blow their horns through the intersection closest to the hotel. I had two experiences with staff--one that was so accommodating I would consider going back--the other one not so much. When asking to switch rooms, the first person said they were all sold out and couldn't help. When I asked again, a really professional staffer offered to give me a different room and could not have been nicer about it. The bar and the food are top notch.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

I stayed at the Union Station during a conference the last week in March.

My room was extraordinary - the ceilings were SO high and those drapes!!

I had only 2 problems with the room: 1. The acoustics in the hotel are a little strange - probably because of all the very high ceilings. In the evening I could hear a TV in a room somewhere just booming. i stepped into the hall to try to identify the source amongst my neighbours and all was quiet. It's quite possible that a normal sound level was being amplified unusually because of the scale of the rooms. 2. Trains. It's very cool that the hotel is the old station - but remember the train tracks are active. The walls are thick, the drapes are very heavy - but I was woken by at least 2 trains the first night. It did not bother me - but might be an issue for very light sleepers. Ask for a room away from the tracks. I stayed in 521.

Apart from these two issues - the room was perfect. Bed was unbelievably comfortable, furnishings impeccable, bathroom had everything I needed & more, heating system was quiet.

I had room service the first evening - a beautiful tuna tostada, excellent & very prompt service. I ate lunch in the restaurant the next day - again the service was excellent but my bison sliders were a little greasy.

The conference was well organized. I did find the basement meeting rooms a little oppressive -with low ceilings & no natural light, but the rooms on the main level were perfect for this function. The catering for the conference was very good - we had breakfast, lunch & a great selection of appetizers for an evening reception. There was an excellent variety and I enjoyed everything that was provided.

The hotel itself is beautiful and has stunning public areas, however it also has an unusual layout and it is possible to become confused because of the two sets of elevators on different sides of the building. I had a terrible time trying to find the ice machine & vending machines because there was no signage for them. The only other issue with the building is that the area immediately outside the front entrance is suggested for smoking. Smokers stood awkwardly around the arriving guests and valets and I'm sure the smoke could be unpleasant for those coming & going. A smoking area away from the main entrance would be much better.

Finally - the staff at the hotel were universally polite & friendly. They accommodated all my requests and made the experience in this beautiful venue all the more memorable. I would definitely recommend this hotel and hope to visit again.

Room Tip: Light sleepers should request rooms away from the rail tracks.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
McHenry, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

We loved everything about this beautiful, cozy, friendly hotel! Valet, front doormen, front desk, concierge, wait staff, bartenders, are all as friendly and helpful from the 1st day to the last day of our 5 day Valentine Weekend trip! Marble everywhere, ornate fixtures, grand piano, entertainment, evening tea & cheese's, breakfast scones & jam, just what you would expect from a 4-5 star Hotel! Here is what I didn't expect: a gracious, unpretentious grand lobby with intimate seating areas for everyone to sit and enjoy just as you are! Never a stuffy moment at this Hotel! So coming back here!

Room Tip: So, I loved King room, main floor off lobby, facing trains...so authentic, and beautiful big windows...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

My wife and I spent the weekend of March 22nd thru March 24th 2013 at this Marriott Autograph Collection property using points that I had accumulated in my Marriott Rewards loyalty program.

The only item we had to pay for was the valet parking fee of $28 / night.

The property is spectacular -- marble, ornately carved wood and stained glass. The lobby is as large and spacious as you would imagine an old train station's main lobby area would be. The lobby is actually the third floor of the building. The building sits next door to a working railroad yard which is pretty cool because you can go out back and see the train activity. It's obvious that during the remodel Marriott spent a lot of money on the soundproofing because even though you ARE right next door to the train tracks you really aren't bothered by the noise when you are in your room. I quite often stay in the Renaissance about 6 blocks away and I can hear more when I'm in that hotel more than from inside this property.

We did not go downstairs to levels one or two. Our room was on the fourth floor (1 floor up from the lobby) and we know there were rooms on floors five and six. Our room contained a king size bed and overlooked the large platform in the rear of the building --- which was uncomfortable because anyone walking by could easily look up and see us in the room if we left our curtains open.
The rooms are NOT very big --- you have to realize that this structure used to be a working train station and your room was probably an office of some kind in the past; it's a place to lay your head. Small bathroom, basic shower in the tub.

Pros... small hallways, nice ambiance overall --- it's not your standard large, long hall w/ lots of rooms lining the sides. excellent top tier Marriott amenities (bed, tolietries, tv's, etc.); location to downtown sites is very nice (honky tonks, Bridgestone arena, right next door to the Frist Center for Visual Arts); good beer hall (The Flying Saucer) about 1/2 block away.

Cons... small rooms, slow wi-fi connections; questionable infrastructure -- we ran out of hot water while taking showers on both Saturday & Sunday morning.

Would I pay to stay there? No. The hotel was being used for a wedding event the weekend we were there. Discussions with the staff made it apparent that this was a common occurence.
But based upon published rates there is no way that I would pay that kind of money ($180 - $300) for a room too small to do more than just lay your head.

I left feeling "underwhelmed" by the room and the service quality. The bell hop staff was great. The valet service was okay. The concierge service was week --- asked for directions one time and she made no effort to write anything down, wasn't sure where we were going and made no effort to look anything up.

Was it a neat place to see? Yes, I'm glad we stayed there --- once. I have no need to return.

Room Tip: Our south, outward facing room was small and had a view of a concrete ledge 1 floor down. Room #40...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Historical, beautiful and classy, this is what describes this hotel in a nutshell. Staff goes above and beyond to make sure you are comfortable; the gift shop did not have allergy medicine so they went out and purchased some and had it delivered to the room. I highly recommend staying at this hotel, its walking distance to all the action, but far enough away to get away from all the hustle and bustle of Nashville. 5 Stars! Thank you Union Station!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Hudson Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Union Station is now part of the Marriott family. While ñot in the heart of the honky Tonk area it is a short walk to the action. The hotel is immecably maintained. Staff were all friendly and helpful. Nice bar off the main room. The building has been beautifully restored and a stay here would be enjoyed by railroad history buffs. Parking is valet.

Room Tip: There is still an active rail line adjacent to the hotel so inquire about noise. We had no issues du...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Union Station Hotel, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!