“Felt like a Sochi hotel before the olympics: unfinished” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Nashville Downtown Hotel

Save Saved
You added Sheraton Nashville Downtown Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Nashville Downtown Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   623 Union Street, Nashville, TN 37219 (Downtown Nashville)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #90 of 150 hotels in Nashville
Plano, Texas
“Felt like a Sochi hotel before the olympics: unfinished”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

I was made aware of the fact that there is no club lounge b/c of the renovations, but I didn't realize how unfinished the hotel was until I was actually there. The elevators and openness of the hotel allow you to see all the way down to the lobby construction zone - which was actually interesting to watch them make progress. But the "hollow design" of the hotel meant that any noise that came from the construction zone - could be heard - and was loud - in the room. I had to leave the hotel room to make a conference call in my car. Construction started when I woke up until late evening. I parked my own car and the valet folks weren't very friendly when I told them I would prefer that over their service - bad first impression. The renovated room was nice, bright, and airy - and I'm sure the hotel will be modern and awesome once completed, but they should have been a little more upfront on the website and upon check-in as to the extent of the noise and inconvenience. Note: they did award me starpoints when they found out it was too loud for me to make business phone calls in my room - that was appreciated. I would come back and stay - it's in a great location btw - but won't come back nor recommend until all the renovations are completed.

Room Tip: when I was there, no room was a good room due to the resonating sound of the renovations which were...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
SheratonNASH, Manager at Sheraton Nashville Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. Constructive criticism is what helps us thrive to be better every day. We are disappointed to learn that your stay did not live up to your expectations. We are truly sorry that construction had a negative impact on your stay. Your arrival experience should have been much better. We will address the issues you mentioned with the valet manager. We hope that you will give us another chance once the work is fully done.

836 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

Stayed 1 night and was pleased with the renovated room. Everything was new and fresh.
The renovations appear to be nearly completed. The only negative was long waits for the lifts due to only 2 of the 4 lifts being operational

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your patience during the renovation. Many people have complimented our new rooms and we are glad were happy with yours. The work on the elevators is complete and all four and running better than ever.

We hope you will return to see the finished product!
Birmingham, Alabama, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

Clearly the bad reviews are mostly related to the renovations. In defense of the hotel, I did get an email prior to my visit stating that renovations would be going on. Still- this was unacceptable. The cost of my one night stay was over $300 once parking and tax was included. This was for a room that was quite average. No ambience, no amenities. Long check in, crowded, messy, and long wait to park.. I recognize they were able to charge these rates despite the hotel being a disaster because of the hotel location, but if SPG wants to create any brand loyalty, they should have either closed the hotel during renovations or offered extreme discouts. Very disappointing.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear that your stay did not live up to your expectations and the construction had a negative impact on your stay. As you mentioned, we tried to alert all our guests about the construction delay.

We hope you will give us another chance once the work is done.
Mountain City, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

The room was brand new and perfect. Nice modern feel. Spacious with a great city view. The Sochi Olympics were however better prepared. While the toilets flushed everything else in the hotel was a hassle. 20 minute elevator wait. With no stair access. Dumpster check in from what appears to be a coat closet. Early morning jackhammers. The greed to stay open during a renovation was irritating. Close the doors and have a grand reopening.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
SheratonNASH, Manager at Sheraton Nashville Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. Constructive criticism is what helps us thrive to be better every day. We are disappointed to learn that your stay did not live up to your expectations. As you are aware, the hotel is nearing completion of a $25 million transformation. We are truly sorry that construction had a negative impact on your stay. The work only occurs from 9am - 6pm and we try to strategically place guests in newly renovated rooms on floors that will minimize disruption.

We hope that you will give us another chance once the work is fully done. Please feel free to contact me directly at 615-259-2000 to further discuss your specific concerns regarding housekeeping so we may resolve this situation to your satisfaction

Monty McKenna – Hotel Manager
Chattanooga, Tennessee, Usa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

I had a business meeting at this hotel starting at 8am, so I stayed here as well.I will say the room was nice, everything was clean, room service was just okay but nothing to write home about, the bed was comfortable.However, just as I dozed off to sleep, a train went through--horn blowing--and jarred me awake.It was EXTREMELY loud--loud enough to wake me and I was on one of the uppermost floors.As soon as I drifted back to sleep,another train came through. Next, the streetsweeper? There was an extremely loud truck on the street below that almost sounded like a helicopter landing in my room.And to top it all off, someone decided that 3am would be a great time to run the vacuum right outside my door! So, it was a terrible night with no rest for the weary, and I would never stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: I don't know if it would help, but you might ask if it's on the side where the train and str...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback. We are happy that you liked your room but are dissappointed that the moise outside the hotel disturbed you. I will speak to the overnight staff and make sure no vacuuming occurs late in the evening or ealy in the morning.
Saint Louis, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

We stayed at this hotel because it was close to the start of the Country Music Half Marathon. I had been told by friends who had stayed there the month before to change hotels. They said it was the worse stay in a hotel they had even had. I called weekly to see if the construction would be finished by the marathon date. I was told that eveything would be complete. The hotel was still under construction upon arrival. It was crowded trying to check in because the main entrance was not finished. The elevators were slow because two of the four elevators were used by construction workers. The room was so loud the night before the race, we did not have any sleep. We had flies in our room. The carpet was not put in correctly and was pulling up. The bathtub had been chipped and looked like it was replaced with a plastic piece of material. We were told the restaurant had a buffet or you could order off the menu. When we got to the restaurant, you could only order the buffet. The waiters forgot to bring you water and diet cokes. The only edible item was the fetticini. This was the most expensive meal we had the entire trip and we ate at highly recommended restaurants. We asked for our room not to be cleaned but to please leave clean towels. We never received clean towels. This is the only hotel I have stayed that does not have a mini refrigerator in it. I feel sorry for the employees because they had to take the brunt of this company not planning in a timely manner. Upon check out, they made some compensations for our troubles. We had to ask for a printed receipt. When checking the receipt, we were charged for things we had not ordered. If we had not asked for a printed receipt we never would have known this. I would not recommending staying at this hotel until they have figured out how to treat their customers.

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
SheratonNASH, Manager at Sheraton Nashville Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. Constructive criticism is what helps us thrive to be better every day. We are disappointed to learn that your stay did not live up to your expectations. We are truly sorry that construction had a negative impact on your stay. The delay in the completion of the work was unexpected. We hope you will give us another chance in the future.
Dublin, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

My husband and I booked this hotel for late April, fully aware of the construction. We don't typically use hotel bars, restaurants, pools, etc. so the fact that many of the regular hotel amenities were not available did not concern us. It would be nice if the rates reflected this, though.

My disappointment with the hotel had nothing to do with the construction, and everything to do with the lack of attention to detail in our room. When paying for a Sheraton-level hotel, I don't expect to find the previous occupant's hair on the bathroom floor and on the shower walls. The shower curtain rings were mismatched. Our fitted sheet on the bed was inside out. Maybe all that is picky, but I think details are important for this level of hotel. And there were some quirky design details that just didn't make sense, for a newly renovated room. Specifically, the cord to raise the window shade was behind the chair and lamp, making you straddle furniture to get to it. There were "convenient" outlets in the sides of the floating bedside tables, but they were so close to the headboard that my phone charger barely fit. The size of the flat screen was nice but the picture on many channels was fuzzy, and not all the channels listed in the guide were available. I pulled the bathroom magnifying mirror toward me, and it came out of the drywall and was just hanging from the wallpaper.

One final thing that I thought was disappointing was the door tag that is left in the room, telling you that if you "go green" and skip housekeeping and fresh towels, you will get a $5 off coupon for participating restaurants. What you don't find out until you get the coupon, is that the coupon is only good at participating restaurants WITHIN THE HOTEL....seriously? We don't typically have housekeeping in our room during short stays anyway, so we didn't really lose anything, but it just seemed like there should have been full disclosure up front about exactly what they were offering.

On the positive side, the staff was very pleasant, we did not experience construction noise, and the elevator delays were not too bad.

I would not stay here again, simply because it did not meet my expectations for a hotel in this price range. Details, details, details, Sheraton! And for goodness sake, put mini-fridges in your renovated rooms!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback and your kind words that our staff was pleasant. Constructive criticism is what helps us thrive to be better every day. We are disappointed to learn that your stay did not live up to your expectations. We will pass your comments along to our housekeeping staff to help them improve and will take another look at the furniture layout in the room.

Been to Sheraton Nashville Downtown Hotel? Share your experiences!