“Nice older hotel with great access to music” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Renaissance Nashville Hotel

You added Renaissance Nashville Hotel to your Saves list
Renaissance Nashville Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   611 Commerce St, Nashville, TN 37203 (Downtown Nashville)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Sleep and Starbucks
Ranked #13 of 151 Hotels in Nashville
Louisville, KY
“Nice older hotel with great access to music”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a weekend get away. The location is great for access to the local music clubs and restaurants. The hotel is fairly tall but the elevator service never appeared slow. The lobby was basic but the staff checking us in were friendly and helpful and assisted us with an early check in. Our room on the 10th floor was clean and updated. The bedding and mattress were very nice. The bathroom was a little on the older side with outdated tile but some updates were in place such as the granite sink and vanity. Regardless the bathroom was clean and well stocked with towels. I would very much recommend this hotel to others. It may not be the most modern and updated but it was exceptionally clean and quiet.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
Fort Worth, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We went to Nashville for the music and this location is great for walking distance to Broadway and all the popular music venues. The hotel itself and guest rooms are due for a make over and according to a note we received upon check in this is in process. I just felt the price per night was a little high for the dated conditon of the rooms and obvious wear & tear evident.
Very friendly and effecient staff and self parking across the street from the hotel if you don't want to valet.

Waverly, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Just got through staying here with another couple, for an event in Nashville. I'll break this down into; the Excellent, the Okay, the Curious, and a couple issues that were Icky.

Excellent:
-Valet service - this is a fantastic option in an area of town that is difficult to navigate if you don't know your way around. I have to frequently come to Nashville for meetings and at times, it costs me as much as 22.00 to park in a garage and walk multiple blocks to my meeting location, so in my book, the 30.00 for valet parking is fantastic. The folks who staff this service are prompt, careful, and courteous. My husband and I felt spoiled by that aspect of the hotel service. :)

-Downstairs lobby area, bellhops, front desk staff: All great. The service by all folks (bellhops, front desk staff) were a repeat of the valet service - prompt, attentive, friendly, very professional folks. They were a pleasure to talk with, took their time with each guest, and were very polite - kudos for charm and diplomacy. The downstairs lobby area is also very pleasantly decorated and very open and airy. Also, loved that there was a spot to pick up coffee and a small snack at the Starbucks in the downstairs area as well.

-View from the room: We were in a room that had a nice view of the courthouse and other nice skyline points of interest - very pretty at night - took a couple pictures. Really liked where the room was located.

- Location: great location and convenient for walking around in downtown to main points of interest.

- Quiet factor: very quiet. We could hear some "downtown noise" but it was minimal. Didn't hear noise from other rooms even though we know we had "neighbors".

-Beds: very comfy, liked the pillows, got too hot under the down comforter.

Okay:
-Elevators - they're slow to arrive - a lot of standing about in the lobby or waiting to go down from room, but honestly, we had already read about that in other reviews on Trip Advisor and it wasn't a big deal. Neat view out of the elevators as they have a glass front. We enjoyed that little bonus.

-Rooms - "worn charm" are the words that come to mind. The bathrooms had white marble sinks that were starting to show some wear with stains from age. Same with drapes (I noted that in our room, there were some splatters of ??? maybe food at the bottom of the drapes - about a foot long/wide stained area where the drapes came together) - probably were sort of elegant when they were first installed, but they need a good cleaning. Furniture also showing some wear - there were areas on the nightstands where the veneer was worn off, and the same kind of small scratch and dent kind of issue with other pieces of furniture. Grouting in bathroom floors and tub tiles is too old to allow good cleaning and therefore, appears dingy. All that said though - the room was comfortable.

Curious issues:
- The TV stand had a door and area for a refrigerator but there was only a container for ice and a small microwave - no fridge. We both found this to be curious since there is an ice machine on each floor and when folks come to town for business or other events, they probably would appreciate being able to store cold drinks (and in some cases, folks who need to refrigerate insulin, medication, etc.). We figured some rooms probably had refrigerators, but neither ours nor the other couple's room had one. Just odd and disappointing in such a renowned hotel.

-We also thought it odd that there were no exhaust fans in the bathrooms. We have been in older hotels where there were exhaust fans - guess it's just a foregone conclusion at this point in the life of the hotel that exhaust fans won't be installed.

Icky:
- Warning - this is nasty: There was some disgusting "matter" around the area of the toilet where the floor bolts/covers are located - it was pretty grotesque and having worked in a cleaning business, I can say that this was an area easy enough to clean - I'm not being persnickety - I cleaned bathrooms in restaurants and businesses for years and it's just a matter of being thorough. I had a moment of instant nausea when I saw it.

More icky: There was a small wall-mounted wire soap/washcloth holder in the shower. I unpacked my shampoo and leaned in to put it in the basket and stopped short of putting it in the basket - several hairs stuck in it - another moment of instantaneous nausea. I didn't use the washcloth, didn't put my shampoo in the basket and then started looking in the rest of the shower/tub for any more surprises. A few more hairs stuck to the wall of the tub.

The walls of the tub area had "runs" of soap. Again, I'm not a prima donna but having worked in the cleaning business - I notice these things pretty quickly and I know what these areas look like when they are well-cleaned and when they are not thoroughly cleaned.

Disclaimer - I have no idea of how many rooms that workers have to clean within a tight timeframe and realistically, I know that this is a challenge that is faced by folks who work in these positions - I've been in their position. It's usually the same story - too many rooms per worker, high expectations by mgmt. for room turnaround time, not enough people staffed/hired to do the job thoroughly. My response to that is this: at 239.00 a night and more for other rooms, I'm guessing someone could cut back their dividends and profit margins and invest in more folks to take care of the daily cleaning. Also, once that is accomplished, hire a housekeeping manager who runs a taut, but positive (incentive based - not disciplinary-based) ship. Then again, who knows - I'm not the mgmt. and if I'm being objective, who's to say wherein lies the true nature of the issue - I'm making guesses and don't have the facts.

Probably won't stay here again if we have another special event in Nashville - rather sad because like I said - staff was truly impressive and the location was good, but the icky stuff combined with the steep price (my husband and I are lower middle-class and this was supposed to be a very special treat for us) is enough for me to say we should have had more for our money. Location and great staff isn't enough to convince us to give it another try - the whole package needs to be present.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Perfect downtown location – Everything is blocks away from the entrance to this hotel. The only exception is Grand Ole Opry which was while worth the $25 cab ride and the valet signaled the cab for us. Cabs are available immediately because they are waiting on the next block for riders. This was the same experience to and from the airport. The downtown area was safe to walk with many different venues (Ryman, Country Music Hall of Fame, famous bars, shops, and restaurants). Now the hotel, the rooms were dated but the downtown view made up for that. The beds were comfortable (not hard but not ones that you want to cuddle down in either), pillows firm, low flow shower head, good size bathroom, and we heard minimum noise at night due to the design of bathroom and closet being next to the hallway. We were on the 13th floor and had no problems with the elevator. Two late night dinners at the third floor bar, and two meals at the main restaurant were both enjoyable with good service. The location and service was unbeatable.

Richmond Hill, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Great staff, especially the valet. Our room had a perfect view of Broadway. Rooms were a tad outdated, but you couldn't complain once you looked out the window. We stayed the weekend for a couples getaway with our close friends so we weren't spending much time in our room. Walking to and from the restaurants and bars is really what gives this place the five stars. Plus you can't beat walking to the lobby for some Starbucks. This hotel also offers an outstanding military discount. We will definitely be back and are already planning our next trip.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

We had requested a King in our reservation but upon arrival they were all out so they gave us a double. The room was just mediocre but the location and room service were excellent! We were only 1 block away from The Bridgestone Arena and historic broadway street!!

• Stayed August 2013
Burlington, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I had an opportunity to stay at this hotel Sunday evening. The staff for this hotel give new meaning to southern hospitality. Beginning with the valet parking attendant to the bell captain and the clerk at the check-in desk, the greetings we received were second to none. We were given tidbits about places we should try for dinner that evening that didn't even include the hotel restaurant (a good one by the way). They treated us like royalty. The next day at breakfast, the restaurant staff were very friendly and created conversation with us as we ordered our breakfast. They found out we were newly engaged and brought complimentary mimosas to us. It was an all around great experience, and we will definitely be going back here in the future.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Renaissance Nashville Hotel? Share your experiences!