“Nice lobby and location, but rooms weren't anything special” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Renaissance Nashville Hotel

You added Renaissance Nashville Hotel to your Saves list
Renaissance Nashville Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   611 Commerce St, Nashville, TN 37203 (Downtown Nashville)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #12 of 149 Hotels in Nashville
Arkansas
“Nice lobby and location, but rooms weren't anything special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

We stayed here Saturday night because of the proximity to the U2 concert at the Vanderbilt Stadium. We were happy our room was ready 2 hours before check in, and the staff was friendly. However, when I got to our room it reeked of cigarette smoke. I assumed I had been put in a smoking room since I didn't think to ask when I checked in. When I called the front desk, they told me that all their rooms were nonsmoking, and they were happy to give me another room. They apologized and sent a bellman right up with new keys. The next room didn't smell of smoke, but there were several large stains on the carpet. Another minor issue was that there weren't outlets on the lamps like most hotels have to make charging devices easier. We stayed at the Marriott at the airport the night before for half the price, and the rooms were much cleaner and more spacious.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
Memphis, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

I have stayed here 5 or 6 times.

If you have a choice, go with a high floor on the North side of the building for quiet sleep. South side low floor for a feeling of the nightlife.

If you qualify or pay an upgrade for club floor, you will find a great service staff, knowledgable about attractions and daily local events. Good coffee, and plenty of selection above and beyond the ussual continental spread.

Parking, don't buy the hype about using the skywalk for easy access. $30 for parking is bull, walk a block and pay $4.

If you have anything going on in the convention center, this is the hotel of choice. Anything tourist is at most 4 blocks away, you can walk everywhere in the city from here. Convention Center, bars and clubs of Broadway, Stadium, Arena, Hall of Fame, state house, Ryman. It's all visable from here.

Rooms clean, internet strong, hallways quiet, flat panels with connection box. Food Drink and entertainment in house and right outside the door.

Only the Hermitage is worth paying more to stay at in Nashville.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Hershey, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2011

I stayed at the Renaissance Nashville Hotel from Sunday, June 26th through Thursday, June 30th 2011.
I am a Marriott Platinum Elite Member (highest level), so I got upgraded to the 24th Floor which is the Concierge / Executive Level.
I stayed in a Corner Executive Room.
The furnishings, although dated, were nice. The room itself was spacious and equipped with a very nice flat screen TV. Someone had written a prior review stating that "one has to pay for standard TV channels". This is absolutely NOT true! The television channel selections were quite good and of course free.
The bathroom was extremely spacious. It had 2 marble counters and it too was equipped with another (smaller) flat screen TV.
The shampoo / soap amenities were very nice. They are of the brand - AVEDA. The Rosemary Mint shampoo was invigorating and wonderful!
My king sized bed was extremely comfortable and was adorned with the plush goosedown feather bed and pillows that one may expect at a luxury hotel.
There were bottles of complimentary water (as this was the Executive Floor) as well as a beautiful plush robe that was protected by a plastic cover. This was nice as there was no doubt that the robe had been dry cleaned.
The entire room was extremely well appointed and had been thoroughly clean.
Everything sounds pretty good so far, right? So why the "Poor" rating?
Because the room REAKED of mold! I called the hotel Management (they were extremely friendly and concerned) and had me check out 4 different rooms. All smelled of mold / mildew! My room was the "lesser of the evils" so I decided to stick with it. In retrospect, I really should have checked out of this hotel and book a completely different property. My mistake!
I then noticed that it was not just the guestrooms that smelled, it was everywhere in the hotel. From the moment you enter the lobby, it hits you. The air conditioning system just pumps out this gross mold smell throughout the entire hotel.
I don't know if this is due to the terrible flood they had a year ago or what but I do know that it is a major problem.

PROS - Great location! Hotel is in close proximity to major Nashville attractions, shops and restaurants. The conceirge lounge was one of the best. Deborah and Andrew in the evening were extremely energetic and accomodating. The food presentations were outstanding! The staff was extremely friendly and courteous.

CONS - MOLD smell everywhere. If you have severe allergies like I do - please do not stay here! The only thing that got me through my entire 4 night stay was I had to go to a local store and buy extra strength Febreeze. I would then repeatedly spray my entire room down, especially the ventillation ducts. I also would repeatedly turn off the air conditioning as it was constantly blowing out that gross mold smell! Thank God for Febreeze (however, we all know this is just a temporary fix). This hotel needs a renovation and desperately needs someone to clean / replace their entire HVAC system and irradicate the mold!

I really wanted to give this property a higher rating. I really did. It actually saddens me that such a nice property with so much potential is overshadowed by something that could be remedied.

I am going to write a letter to the General Manager of this hotel and to Corporate Marriott. Maybe they will get their act together and at least clean their HVAC system.

Unfortunately, I will never stay at this property again unless the aforementioned has been properly addressed / resolved. I cannot recommend this property and I actually encourage others to stay somewhere else until Marriott addresses this issue.

Room Tip: Become a Marriott Elite Member!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Reading, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

Would have given this four stars based on the atmosphere, ammeneties, condition of property, etc. It was nice, definitely clean, but not incredible. However, the concierge staff-- specifically a gentleman named Mike-- made all the difference. Prior to planning a bachelorette party, our trip planner called ahead and was lucky enough to get Mike on the telephone. Before we even arrived, we had a ride from the airport arranged to pick us up (we flew in on two separate flights-- he hit the airport twice). Mike went so far beyond the call of duty to ensure that we had the best trip and the best stay possible. He made sure that they brought a mini-fridge to our hotel room, that we had rides to and from certain places. He even called to make sure we were awake so we didn't miss our flight home. He was extremely kind and such a gentleman. He was the best example of southern hospitality we could have asked for. Also- the breakfast buffet was fantastic.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Holliston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

Attended a conference at this hotel in June 2011. Location is suburb, walk to honky tonk clubs, concert hall, public library next door, lots of excellence restaurants, and Country Hall of Fame, and a panera bread in next block.. 20 minute ride to Opry. Parking right across the street at $4.00 per day. Conference space excellent. Rooms nice; had one with a view of the city in front, but other friends faced a building so make sure you face the library. Lots of elevators; never waited long. Accommodated trying to get rooms together with friends. Housekeeping was late but wonderful with pleasant smiles and greeting and accommodating with extra towels, soaps, etc. in and out quickly. valet excellence with car; bellmen local and willing to chat about what to see. Reasonable rates for groups; confirmed several times during the months between booking. Did not use it but has a pool.

Negatives: inconsistent staff friendliness; check in was smooth, that person was lovely. But when I asked when our room would be cleaned, since it was already 3 pm., I was greeted with "well we were full last night and busy" and that was it! No apologies, no looking up when it might be cleaned. She was horrible. In-house restaurant is mediocre, limited menu, not fancy at all for such a large hotel, small starbucks inside but line was always 20 deep and they ran out of stuff by 10. Not a lot of seating space in lobby at all and it was not fancy in any way. So you'll need to eat elsewhere, local food is better.

Room Tip: Ask fo room facing library, city view.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

Beautiful facility, wonderful staff, spacious rooms, perfect location. Loved Nashville and would pick the Renaissance again in a heartbeat. Food was good too.

Parking is across the street, $8 per day. No resort fees, and a Starbucks on premises.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011 via mobile

We were in for the cma/fan fest and had an absolute blast at this hotel. When we arrived we were greeted by daniel (valet guy) and he couldn't have been more hospitable! Front desk staff and concierge were superb too.

Anytime we needed directions around town the guys outside were there to help and gave us great recommendations for local spots!

Room was great, view was
incredible. Breakfast in the lobby/1st floor restaurant was great as well. Great stay. I will be back next year!

• Stayed June 2011

Been to Renaissance Nashville Hotel? Share your experiences!