“Third time's a charm” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #104 of 149 Hotels in Nashville
West Lafayette, Indiana, United States
“Third time's a charm”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

This was our third, and definitely last, stay at this Red Roof. Our stay was two nights long. Earlier, we had been treated to a helpful and kind front desk, and Nashville rooms are very expensive, so this was our best value, or so we thought. My husband liked it better than I did. I agreed to stay one more time, despite my reservations. In the previous visits, I was annoyed at the noise from the railroad switch yard across the street and the fact there there was either a plumbing or an electrical maintenance problem in each of our previous rooms.

This stay was beyond awful. The weather seal on our door was missing and hubby had to go out and buy some material to try to block out the sound and be able to use the deadbolt. In addition, the thermostat cover had been torn off and there was no way to adjust room temperature (the fan by the window is for a/c only, not heat) so our room was cold as I needed to run the fan all night to block out the noise, and we couldn't turn on heat. The internet was down or extremely slow from the time we got there until the morning we left. I talked to the man at the front desk and he tried to set me up with a call from the wandering wifi service man (the clerk wasn't aware of any problems with internet, and he seemed to not believe me) but when I went up to my room to get the phone call, the phone plug came right out of the wall. I had to shove the bed over to try to get it back in but the whole phone jack had been torn away from the wall.

What more can I say? The room was okay other than the deficiencies named above, and it seemed clean enough. One more thing; housekeeping never showed up to clean our room while we were gone most of the afternoon until late night. What else could go wrong? They will lose a lot of business, that's what.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Middleton, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I don't like to say anything if I have nothing good to say, however, I feel compelled to say something. This is absolutely the most disgusting hotel we have ever stayed at.
This is not the "nice, clean, and cheap" Red Roof experience - it was somewhat cheap with my discount, however, the room was SO GROSS. It was not just a matter of being dirty... the drywall was falling apart, the furniture was damaged, there were splatters of weird gooey liquid on the walls, we didn't even feel like we could sit on the bed spread. Honestly, we didn't even use the sink or shower and didn't change out of our clothes when we slept in, since this was just a stop over for our long drive from Wisconsin to Florida.
Also, this hotel is located by a rail yard (railroad yard)... they work on the railcars all night and you can hear the noises. The area does not feel safe. If my husband wasn't with me, there is no way I would have stayed there... he did not feel safe either.
Do not book a room at this hotel. You will pay $40-50 more for a better place, but it's worth it.

Evanston, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I spent one night here. I will never return. My room faced the highway, so it was non stop car noise all night. The room had a funky smell (something between masked smoked and mold) and it looked and felt dirty. Also, it did not feel safe.

The best description I can offer, is that it looked like a seedy motel from a movie. Not the place you want to stay. They have a reasonable location for people driving through Nashville, but they need to invest and renew it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Kalamazoo MI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

The first room we looked at had a strange smell, hair in the bed as if the sheets had not been changed and a large white spot on the bedspread. The light in the bathroom didn't work. The manager said maybe there was a dog in our room before we stayed there but that shouldn't have made any difference. The manager was friendly and gave us a different room. That room was acceptable but there is a steel factory across the street and there were loud screeching sounds all night. We were very unhappy with our stay. In addition when I asked the cost of the room when we checked in, they neglected to include the taxes!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Englewood, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This hotel is sandwiched between I-65 and Sidco Drive and the Train Yards. There is considerable traffic and train noise from both sides! This hotel is a very basic, no-frills hotel! We got a renovated room on the 3rd floor--standard room with king bed. Very small room! There was no stopper for the bathtub--so, shower only even though I really wanted to take a bath.
We were there for four nights and on the last night we left in the morning and came back late, the room was exactly as we left it, they had not cleaned it at all. When I complained they said we had asked for "No Service" which is NOT true. They did not offer any discount or free voucher stay. The hotel is basically okay but I don't think I will ever return. Not a good value for the money paid.

Baton Rouge, LA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed at the Red Roof Inn Nashville Fairgrounds for two night on a recent business trip. Location is very important to me when traveling...This Red Roof Inn had both good and bad as far as location...
For the bad- it was across the street from some kind of industrial company. I didn't notice the noise the first evening (Sunday) but I did hear a lot of noise on Monday evening and early on Tuesday morning when I was checking out.
For the good- it was close to Wal-Mart which made it easy to purchase a couple of items I forgot to pack for the trip. It was also close to a large mall, some really good restaurants and it was almost a straight shot (about 5 miles) to the location where our conference was being held.

The room was okay. When I checked in and pulled down the sheets I found hairs on both the sheet and the pillow. I asked for clean sheets and someone brought up another set. There were hairs on this set as well. Otherwise the room appeared clean. The refrigerator worked fine, no issues with the shower or tv. The staff was helpful.

Best for a weekend stay due to the noise, but overall it wasn't a bad stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the backside of the hotel, it may be quieter.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Roanoke, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We checked in during late evening hours, came from Roanoke Va, while at the counter getting the room all the brochures with room pics made us want a room with frig and microwave, it was stamped the best value, joke on us. we entered the room to a total hot mess, dirty, smelly carpets, blood stain and burn marks, I blame that on the guest, old frig, a round table engraved with roberts a H--(garden tool), we slept in our clothes, the room was a total mess, I can't really say what I want here because it would involve a lot of cuss words which would be the true picture of this mess. I read here they are redoing the motel, right, just patching it up, charging you for the mess and not returning your call when you complain and want a refund or part of your money back. Long story short, I don't know what everyone else is talking about the place should not be open until they complete what ever they claim they are doing. Never will we stay there again, and they give RED ROOF a bad name, I'm a ready card member and I will not stay at this location again. sign Pissed off.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Red Roof Inn Nashville Fairgrounds? Share your experiences!